General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

How to find previous owned car

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2020, 10:19 AM

How to find previous owned car

I am searching for a car my dad owned years ago which was a 1978 olds Cutlass salon. It was the 2 door hatchback with the 4 speed manual. They weren't there best looking car but turned into a rare car. It's a long shot to find it but my first memories are that car. Anyways I have the VIN number but as everyone knows it's not legal for DMV to tell me who owns it or where it's at. In Minnesota that is. I'm curious if anyone has other ideas on how to go about searching this? I figure it's been junked long time ago, but then it could be behind someone's garage waiting to be found. Thanks for reading
Old March 28th, 2020, 10:34 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I remember talking with a guy at the Dallas Autorama several years ago that had a rare 69 Chevelle he had bought new. He sold it a long time ago and began a search to find it. He said he would Google the VIN number everyday. I think it was something like 2 1/2 years before he got a hit. He managed to buy the car back and have it restored. I know it is a long shot but it is free and worth a shot. Good luck with your search.
Old March 28th, 2020, 11:45 AM

I would start with the area it was sold at. Ask around. Mechanics, local car guys, car clubs. Those are not on every corner anymore, but most will know what you are talking about. If you can get a note put into clubs news letter, it could reach alot of people. Heck even a picture hung up at the local hang outs might work. Might have to wait till they open back up though. Gas stations. Bars. Grocery stores. Even the local 'auction flyer' board could help.
Old March 28th, 2020, 12:14 PM

I would add, be realistic. In Minnesota, a ho-hum grocery getter, even with a 4 speed, probably rusted out and ceased to be about 1995. I'd say there's an 80% chance the car is destroyed, and 19% that it otherwise can't be found. If you had an in source at the DOT, you might be able to get a VIN search ran, but stuff like this is how Gone in 60 Seconds got made, so they don't allow that to non-employees, so I think you're at that 1%.
Old March 28th, 2020, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by 1987425
I am searching for a car my dad owned years ago which was a 1978 olds Cutlass salon. It was the 2 door hatchback with the 4 speed manual.
As you've noted, your likelihood of finding the car, if it hasn't already been scrapped, is about zero.

One important thing which you haven't told us. How long ago did your father last see the car? If it was within the last decade, you might find it. You'd have to start with the person your father sold it to and work from there. If you really want to know and money is no object, you could hire a private investigator.

But if the car was last seen decades ago (your father bought it in '78 and traded it in '82, say), then I'd say forget it. It's likely doing the automobile equivalent of pushing up the daisies by now.
Old March 28th, 2020, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by 1987425
Anyways I have the VIN number but as everyone knows it's not legal for DMV to tell me who owns it or where it's at. In Minnesota that is.
Privacy laws are pretty much the same in every state. But many states will still let you do a DMV search, which will tell you if the car is titled and registered in that state. You say Minnesota, but that's apparently where you last saw the car. It could be anywhere by now, and you'd have to visit each state's DMV site and see if they will allow a VIN search. I know Ohio does because I used to live there, and I've done it several times. If the car is currently titled and registered in that state, they will tell you when it was last titled and in what county it is currently registered. That's at least something.

So it might be worth it, when you have nothing else to do (like right now, for instance), to visit some state websites in and around Minnesota to see what you can find. If you luck out and actually discover that the car still exists somewhere, and it's perhaps like Ohio, you might take out an ad in the major newspaper in that county asking anyone with this car to contact you. Anything can happen.
Old March 28th, 2020, 02:32 PM

down here in iowa i went to the dmv looking for my old 65 442 didn't remember the vin so told them it is a 13 digit vin and starts with a 3.and it would be the only one .turns out i had 43 cars in my name.well couple days later they called me and said they found it currently registered but couldn't give out the info but they would forward my name and number to them so if they wanted to contact me.2 weeks later he did,and still the same guy i sold it too but didn't want to sell it back.
so you might try this and see if the vin number is even still active,or if you can find out who investigates stolen cars in the state they might be able to track it down.
Old March 28th, 2020, 09:23 PM

If you want to spend the money or if you personally know a private investigater. Most will have the software to find the current owner of a car by VIN or current license plate. Don't ask me how I know.
Old March 29th, 2020, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
...who investigates stolen cars in the state they might be able to track it down.
As was the case with mine. If anyone here finds a vehicle of theirs which was stolen, you need not even buy it back. But not to be a total Pricque, if the new owner bought it in good faith, he'd be deserving of some measure of monetary compensation
Old March 29th, 2020, 05:42 AM

Coming to this site and asking was a good idea, and may just work, if the thread gets bumped up every 2 months or so. The good thing is being a 4spd made it memorable. I remember in the last 70's anything with a stick was special. Maybe the later owners would keep it around. Good Luck!!
Old March 29th, 2020, 05:20 PM

If you have a friend at a car dealer you could have them check the VIN on Carfax. I don't know if Carfax only works on modern VINs (17 digit) or if it would work with an older one.
Old March 29th, 2020, 07:43 PM

I don't think carfax will work for the OP's car. It only works for cars with the latest, 17-digit VINs, which began with the 1981 model year. The '78s (I also have a '78 Olds) have 13-digit VINs.