General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Help Me Find One of My 98s

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2015, 10:22 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

Help Me Find One of My 98s

I purchased a '64 3819 in 1995 from a funeral home in Loris, SC that took the car on trade for a funeral in 1970. They parked the car in the hearse garage. I found it in Hemmings and negotiated a $2200 payment for a 21,388 mile all original car. Ebony black with grey cloth. Every option. Purchased new in Tabor City, NC. Have the dealer invoice from the glove box still. And a full set of rubber floor mats.

I sold the car to a guy in Orlando, Florida in 2002. Would love to find that old sedan - and possibly buy it back today.

Anyone help me out? I've got a few photos of that monster I can post. I just have to find them.

Thanks.
Old October 29th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Good luck in your quest.
Old October 29th, 2015, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by btw
I sold the car to a guy in Orlando, Florida in 2002. Would love to find that old sedan
You've asked and answered your own question. Here's where you start. Do you have the name of the buyer or any of the paperwork associated with the sale? With the name and city where sold, you could look in the phone book and call anyone with that name. If that doesn't yield anything, expand the search to nearby cities and perhaps the entire state. Hopefully the name of the buyer is not too common as calling all of the John Smiths in the book would not likely be practical but calling all two or three of the Sylvester Finklesteins would be.

If you don't have the name, you could ask at the DMV office in the county where the car was sold, but they might not give out any personal information regarding the owner for privacy reasons. In fact, this is likely to be your biggest roadblock if you go through any official channels--protection of the privacy of the current owner. That's why you're better off looking into it as much as possible yourself.

2002 is 13 years ago, so the car could be anywhere by now, but you have to start somewhere, and that somewhere is in the location where the car was sold. Posting on here that you're looking for the car, while certainly worth doing, has a very low chance of success.
Old October 29th, 2015, 02:41 PM

Make a post on craigslist orlando with a wtb add! Maybe finders fee leading to car with correct vin#!