General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Good price on US manufactured wrenches Craftsman

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2013, 08:20 AM
delete

Good price on US manufactured wrenches Craftsman

Just wanted to share this if anyone needs. Craftsman is moving their Professional line manufacturing offshore so they have the US made ones on clearance
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-9pc-prof ... ockType=G4
I ordered a set & they are indeed marked Made in the USA

For compaison I could only find a 13 pc set compared to nine for the US ones but they are $90 compared to $36
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professi ... ckType=G19
Old April 24th, 2013, 08:44 AM

Thumbs down

Add Craftsman to the stuff I will no longer purchase.
Old April 24th, 2013, 09:04 AM

I bought a 5/16 combo wrench the other day for work- Grainger or McMaster- $22 each. WTH?

Then I see these on feepay, about $20 a wrench, and actual Titanium.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motion-Pro-T...4f6f33&vxp=mtr

Not "titanium colored" or "TiN coated" or bullshed like that. Under $22 a wrench, DELIVERED. However, I use the 13 most, so I have to have a 13 in there, and the 4-pc set lacks that.

OP, your link brings up the generic Sears web page
"...http://www.sears.com/craftsman-9pc-prof ... ockType=G4
I ordered a set & they are indeed marked Made in the USA"

btw here's the link right to the Wrenches section at Sears' web site:

http://www.sears.com/tools-wrenches/...5060?adCell=W3

And, don't miss:
http://www.sears.com/tools-wrenches-...s/s-1214364366

"Now Made In china
Now made in china! Not in immediate need, waited til the after Thanksgiving sale to purchase. Did my research on previous reviews. Multiple posts saying "Made in USA". Bought online, picked up at store on a very cold, windy night. Finally got around to storing them and couldn't believe what I purchased. They are at least 1/3 thicker and machined poorly. Same part number on old wrench from ???? years ago and new wrench, equal comparison. Would love to be able to post pictures of old and new."

If you have to buy Chinesium tools, then might as well buy at Harbor Freight, which are ALSO guaranteed forever... So, how is Craftsman better now? Took me 2-3 years to break the 9/16 HFT ratcheting wrench, they gave me a new one. The even give new tapdrills if you break one, which you will... $20 for the set, vs $20+ EACH for essentially the same thing from Snap-on.

Last edited by Octania; April 24th, 2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old April 24th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Lansing built

I have a set of the pro series craftsmans polished chrome, longer than their standard series, was used on a daily basis for many years, including locking two together to get more leverage, no issues!

Pat
Old April 24th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Oldsdruid

With that I, too, no longer have any reason to buy Craftsman tools. I can guarandamntee they won't be priced any less made offshore.

After last week I've about said the hell with Sears anyway. They have never been the same since K-Mart bought them, and I have long-standing issues with K-Mart.

I own a 2010 Craftsman lawn tractor. While preparing for spring mowing, I figured replace the air filter since even though it was still pretty clean, it was three years old. Figured Sears tractor, go to Sears and get the filter rather than go all over creation.

They close at 8PM here now and it was about 7:45 when I got there so I went in, found the correct HD filter in Craftsman packaging- $34.99!

So I looked at the light duty filter with separate pre-cleaner and it was $20.99!

Keep in mind, late, figured didn't wanna chase a part all over town, so I bought the cheaper filter, thinking I pay less than this for filters for the old Oldsmobiles.

Also had to go to Lowe's across the road to get some stuff. Got it, then decided I'd look in lawn equipment section and see if they had a filter for this mower. 19.5 HP Briggs engine.

What do I find except the correct HD filter, in Briggs & Stratton packaging, for $13.99 . Bought it and returned the Craftsman filter last Saturday morning. The Sears clerk asked reason for return and I told her. 250% markup for Craftsman packaging over same part in OEM packaging seemed just a little excessive to me.

Fooey.

And while I'm at it, add John Deere lawn equipment to the list of stuff I will not even consider purchasing. Why? Roll over the newest Kontera ad links...

Last edited by rocketraider; April 24th, 2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old April 24th, 2013, 10:52 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That is too darn bad.

Fortunately, I can generally get any wrenches I need (Craftsman or Snap-On) at the antique auto flea markets I attend a couple of times a year.
I'll be looking more closely at them from now on.

Thanks for the heads-up!

- Eric
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:11 AM
delete

Sears is insane for stuff like that. They sell the replacement filter for the ice maker in my fridge for $38 for one. On Ebay I think I paid $20 for 3.
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Lansing built

Rocket Raider, just swing over to your local Briggs dealer should have part number 492932S comes 48 to a case, it is loose no blister pak or box, sells at my place $9.25 ea.

Pat
Old April 24th, 2013, 12:17 PM

Sears switched over their power tools years ago. I found a drill press at HF that was EXACTLY the same as the sears one, except for the tag and color of *****. The HF was less than half the price, still works great after 10 years too.
Old April 24th, 2013, 04:02 PM

Thumbs down

I have a Craftsman shop vacuum that my wife bought me for Christmas in 1980.

I have used and abused that vacuum worse than anything I have ever owned, and it still works great.

Bought 2 other Craftsman shop vacuums over the years, and neither one lasted more than 4 years.

Has Sears "value engineered" thier equipment? Yes - the quality has really dropped off.
Old April 24th, 2013, 04:30 PM

I bought a Craftsman ratchet/socket set about 20 years ago and short of loosing 1 very small socket, it has performed flawlessly. I have been looking around at Craftsman wrenches and it appears that there are 3 (maybe more) "versions" of Sears/Craftsman tools. I think the "Forever" warranty is probably fine, but they also have the "Eco-whatever" version, lime green box. Those look and feel cheap and are not under any warranty. I will spend money on sockets, wrenches, ratchets, but screwdrivers are disposable IMO.

So that brings the question, who is the best bang for the buck? I like Snap-On, but too rich for my blood.
Old April 24th, 2013, 04:41 PM

Sad! Nothing is made in America anymore I think every label I read says made in china.
Old April 24th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Shaking out the cobwebs..

2 weeks ago I had a 6 years old +/- Craftsman 3/8" ratchet that sheared some teeth off of the ratcheting mechanism. Had it replaced with no problem.

Just last night I'm using the replacement 'reconditioned' ratchet and off pops the PLASTIC 'loosen/tighten' selector. No signs of anything broken, just popped off of the head of the ratchet.
Back it goes.....
I'm pretty sure I'm done with Craftsman.
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:21 PM

Another American icon gone.
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:56 PM

Apparently it's been "gone" for a long time. A lawsuit was filed against Sears way back in 2004 alleging "Made in the U.S.A." tools were not actually made here.

Suit Hits Sears Made In USA Claim

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...craftsman.html

Not only this, but the Wikipedia entry on Craftsman tools is very interesting. Sears has never made its own tools but rather has farmed out their manufacture to a variety of companies over the many years of the brand's existence. According to Wikipedia, overseas manufacture of Craftsman-branded tools has been going on for four years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craftsm...9#cite_note-33
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:13 PM

Ain't noth'n like it appears to be, And noth'n like it used to be..........
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:47 PM
GM Enthusiast

I have been frustrated with the declining quality of Sears products over the past few years and usually shop in other places now. Maybe this is one of the reasons why many of their hardware stores that used to be all over Long Island are now gone.

I bought a nice set of Craftsman sockets and professional polished wrenches years ago when I owned a garage. The quality was excellent but that was then and this is now. Now I buy S-K tools. Their tools are made here and are well made.
Old April 24th, 2013, 06:52 PM

Craftsman tools were made in Japan for a year or two around 1982, they took alot of heat for that. I got a set of them, back then everything was made in Japan. The Craftsman ratchets are JUNK. I won't buy them no matter where they're made.
Old April 24th, 2013, 08:54 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by My442
Add Craftsman to the stuff I will no longer purchase.
XXXXX222222! Wake up America!

My442 just opened up a can of worms!

I knew it was only a matter of time before Crapsman went off shore. I purchase tools for work and I have found the following companies are still made in USA.
Stanley, Proto, Armstrong, Snap On (not blue point) Mac, Matco, at least for now. Careful with Mac, Snap On & Matco as I think they are looking into going off shore too. The Armstrong wrenches are comparable to Snap On at half the price, take a look.

I WILL NOT support any company that deals with offshore. I cant stand to walk into ALL, ALL the big box houses; car parts, home improvement or what ever and pa-rouse the isles only to find 99% of whats on their shelves says MADE IN CHINA. WAKE UP AMERICA! Even Vise Grip went off shore. Their packaging says made to Erwin Specs in....you guessed it china. Nice try Erwin.
Try to find a brake rotor made in the USA. I would gladly spend the dollars on a USA made rotor. White box junk is just that...junk. Even the Delco rotors in a Delco box are china...really! Hows that even possible?

What we ALL need to do is simply not buy the chinesium junk (when given the choice) and buy the (yes more expensive) USA (Canadian Mexican) goods. Eventually the laws of economics will take over when the china junk is sitting on the shelves and the USA goods are moving off the shelves. Then the US goods may (should) come down in price.

Try to find a gas tank for your USA made muscle car that's not off shore. One place offers them... Quantum/Spectra. Twice the cost but its Canadian. Ill pay twice the cost even if I must delay the purchase to save up, dont care as long as Im not lining the coffers of china.

Libman brooms and mops etc…made in the USA and ½ the cost of the other off shore junk. Sent them a letter thanking them. Sams club carries them.

What we need to do and I have done several times is send a letter to the surviving USA companies thanking them for keeping it here and creating jobs for us.
In stead of complaining about it, we all can have a hand in turning it around.
I digress....Im going outside to wash my Ford & Olds!

Last edited by droldsmorland; April 24th, 2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old April 25th, 2013, 04:01 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Eventually the laws of economics will take over when the china junk is sitting on the shelves and the USA goods are moving off the shelves. Then the US goods may (should) come down in price.
Unfortunately, the laws of economics HAVE spoken, and the combined buying power of hundreds of millions of Americans has said, "Here, take our jobs and bring on the low-grade crap - we can't get enough of it, and we want our grandchildren speaking Chinese, so they can communicate with their Imperial Overlords."

Sorry, but you and I and everyone we know can stop buying foreign, but the OTHER 349 million Americans will be lapping that crap up and loving every second of it.

Im going outside to wash my Ford & Olds!
Ewwwwww! Don't get the water from one on the other!

- Eric
Old April 25th, 2013, 04:03 AM

I will spend 2X (or more) for USA made parts.

My Alumitech radiator cost more than double the offshore unit.

My heater core was rebuilt in the USA instead of an offshore unit.

My blower motor too.

I want my money to go to USA comapnies than pay USA workers.

Everyone looking for a cheap deal will eventually sell out our manufacturing base.
Old April 25th, 2013, 04:51 AM

It's a shame because Craftsman used to be a good quality hand tool for a decent price. I got hooked up with a good Snap-On guy that gives me a good discount from retail. I recently replaced all of my Craftsman ratchets with the 80 tooth Snap-Ons. WOW! what a difference. They were worth every penny.
Old April 25th, 2013, 08:29 AM

I buy "Made in USA" when ever possible. I'll repair or refurbish an older American product when possible before buying it's newer imported counterpart. I shop thrift stores, garage sales and pawn shops looking for older domestic items.
Recently some scumbag stole my plumbing tote of tools. I needed a new meter box key. Lowe's and Home Deephole both have Chinese brass keys. Got one at HD and put it on the shut off valve to stop the water. The wrench end split right in half the first time. What a piece of crap and I had to pay around $9 for it. I took it back and of course the girl in returns asks,"What's wrong with it?" while holding both broken pieces in her hands. Found one at a garage sale about a week later, paid $1. Has made in USA cast on the side. I'd bet there are none made here anymore. You'd be better off using a screwdriver and channel locks to mess with the meter instead of buying a Chinese key.
I just finished cleaning up an old, made in USA Hunter ceiling fan from 1983. Brass housing around the motor, nice solid piece. It may not be as easy to use as a new Hunter.(Chinese) It doesn't have a reverse switch, you have to adjust the pitch on each blade if you want to change it and you need to check the oil in it once a year. I've had to add oil just once in the last 17 years. The Hunter remote(Chinese) can be wired to it though. I sincerely doubt a new Chinese Hunter sold at the home improvement stores these days will last half as long as my 30 year old ceiling fan that still works perfectly. The Hampton Bay and Harbor Breeze store brand fans are crap. The fan blades sag within a year on most of those.
I have Craftsman, Snap On, Armstrong, Mac, Matco, Kobalt, Proto and Cornwell tools in my two boxes. I won't buy Chinese Craftsman and I have put up a stink in the Sears store when they try to warrantee my USA tools with Chinese tools. I've asked for a refund the last time instead of an inferior replacement. I wasn't sucessful, and now only go to Sears if I have a broken tool. I don't actually spend any of my hard earned money in a Sears store anymore. They appear to be headed the way of Montgomery Wards.

Last edited by texxas; April 25th, 2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old April 25th, 2013, 08:51 AM

Try to find a gas tank for your USA made muscle car that's not off shore. One place offers them... Quantum/Spectra. Twice the cost but its Canadian. Ill pay twice the cost even if I must delay the purchase to save up, dont care as long as Im not lining the coffers of china.

Libman brooms and mops etc…made in the USA and ½ the cost of the other off shore junk. Sent them a letter thanking them. Sams club carries them.

What we need to do and I have done several times is send a letter to the surviving USA companies thanking them for keeping it here and creating jobs for us.
You are correct sir, but I found my Canadian made Quantum /Spectre gas tank for the 67 Cutlass for the same price as a Chinese made tank I saw advertised on line. It is a quality piece that I have been very happy with. Shop around, cheaper natural gas prices and cheaper shipping, since being North American manufactured, keeps the domestic products from costing more to make and deliver and helps keep the prices competitive.
Old April 25th, 2013, 09:03 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Further digression...Check the Kobalt tools from Low...es. Yep china. I had to get larger 5/16 wood bolts for an expensive wood bed frame I just purchased. Went there and could not find any fasteners made in USA. Even called Fastenal...no go all chineasium. The Lowes fasteners commenced to breaking off at the heads. Thats with a proper pilot hole and minimal torque. You want to talk about major mad...I was red. Ever try to extract a bolt from oak? I could not find a decent "graded" fastener ANYWHERE!. I too took the bolts back. The service desk person asked what was wrong...dauh... there's yer sign.... I fired back with both barrels. She got an ear full. I also sent a love note to Low..es HQ. I then went to HD and found SS bolts still made in china of course but at least the alloy stood up to my mighty 20lb/ft of torque. I actually get depressed when I walk into each and every big & small box retailers and find 99.9% chineasium. Where and when will the implosion of the USA end. Im doing my part, or at least I try real hard. You wont ever see me enter Chinafreight, not even for a bungee strap. Several sites out there that tout USA only. Check it out. Whats next on the I cant believe they're importing this front...oxygen.

Last edited by droldsmorland; April 25th, 2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old April 25th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Don't get me started, I recently searched for an american made washing machine...
Old April 25th, 2013, 09:28 AM

I knew it was only a matter of time before Crapsman went off shore. I purchase tools for work and I have found the following companies are still made in USA.
Stanley, Proto, Armstrong, Snap On (not blue point) Mac, Matco, at least for now. Careful with Mac, Snap On & Matco as I think they are looking into going off shore too. The Armstrong wrenches are comparable to Snap On at half the price, take a look.

I WILL NOT support any company that deals with offshore. I cant stand to walk into ALL, ALL the big box houses; car parts, home improvement or what ever and pa-rouse the isles only to find 99% of whats on their shelves says MADE IN CHINA. WAKE UP AMERICA! Even Vise Grip went off shore. Their packaging says made to Erwin Specs in....you guessed it china. Nice try Erwin.
Try to find a brake rotor made in the USA. I would gladly spend the dollars on a USA made rotor. White box junk is just that...junk. Even the Delco rotors in a Delco box are china...really! Hows that even possible?

What we ALL need to do is simply not buy the chinesium junk (when given the choice) and buy the (yes more expensive) USA (Canadian Mexican) goods. Eventually the laws of economics will take over when the china junk is sitting on the shelves and the USA goods are moving off the shelves. Then the US goods may (should) come down in price.

Well said.

I buy Canada and USA made first and I don't mind paying for it. It takes me weeks some times months to find it but it is still out there.
Craftsman has been off shore in Canada for a long time know, I stopped buying there stuff as soon as they went down that road. I'm not anti trade but there has to be a balance. I'm not for free trade but fare trade what we have know is off shore dumping . I have been buying this way since the 80's and have tried to promote Can/USA products. I always get asked why these days when I ask were it is made as if they don't know, maybe they are that stupid. The standard reply its made were everything else is made these days . To me that is the problem they, 1. they don't give a **** or 2. They are Worn out and have given up.

I think if you want to keep your county strong buy the products that are made in it.

I will wash my GMC pick up latter

Last edited by Bernhard; April 25th, 2013 at 09:33 AM.
Old April 25th, 2013, 10:02 AM

when you return this broken crap,don't give the clerk/sales person a hard time,they're just there trying to make a living,chances are they don,t know what the broken tool/merchandise is used for,it's just a number on a sales slip to them.if you feel the need to vent,go the the manager,they get paid to take crap.
Old April 25th, 2013, 10:16 AM

Sears itself will be long gone in 5 years. I know for a fact that Eddie Lampert owner of Sears Holding Company which owns Sears and Kmart has all Sears brands for sale. Once this is complete he will move to sell the real estate. He originally bought Sears for the reason that Sears owns allot of its own stores and properties. You can imagine how valuable that is in its own right.
Old April 25th, 2013, 09:40 PM

Further digression...Check the Kobalt tools from Low...es. Yep china. .
Yeah I know, but they're in my box and I was just running down the list. I was under the gun and needed a couple of 14mm wrenches to get the boat winterized. They are lifetime warranty and polished and I've been in a Lowe's alot more lately than a Sears.
My buddy was just giving me a hard time for spending extra bucks to put "Made in USA" BFG All Terrain T/As on my old work truck. He had put the same size Savero tires on his wife's truck. Made in China. 2 weeks old and one has already gone goose egged. He took it back but I'd be willing to bet it won't be the last time.

Last edited by texxas; April 25th, 2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old April 25th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

As for Lowz, I stopped shopping there about four years ago when I went in in late June and saw a 5x5x5 foot cubic display of flags and flag poles near the registers that said in huge letters "Banderas Americanas!"

I live in Maine. (This may be hard for you southwesterners to believe, but...) We have no significant numbers of Spanish-speakers here. Lots of French-speakers (as well as Quebecois tourists), but no Spanish. If you have construction or landscaping work done, the guy who comes has a name that's been in the area for 300 years, and speaks English (though not always in a way you can understand).

In spite of this, Lowz found it necessary to put up a display of (Chinese-made) American flags in Spanish.

I was utterly disgusted and stopped going there.

Interestingly, the store closed last year, and the building was being demolished when I drove by last month, so maybe others in the area felt the same way.

- Eric
Old April 25th, 2013, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Lowz found it necessary to put up a display of (Chinese-made) American flags in Spanish.

Interestingly, the store closed last year, and the building was being demolished when I drove by last month, so maybe others in the area felt the same way.

- Eric
That actually sounds like progress to me. It's a shame they think that they were in a third world country!
Old April 26th, 2013, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by ls98
when you return this broken crap,don't give the clerk/sales person a hard time,they're just there trying to make a living,chances are they don,t know what the broken tool/merchandise is used for,it's just a number on a sales slip to them.if you feel the need to vent,go the the manager,they get paid to take crap.

This is very true well said that's why I ask for the manager when they don't want to take there crap back. It's still always pays to be nice but firm when returning you off shore ****. When I see the container ships in the harbour I always say to myself don't bother to ship it to the stores just take it to the dump.
I have to say some of the products out of Taiwan are very well made, they look to be as good as USA or Can made products. I still try not to buy them because I think it is hurting the country.

Last edited by Bernhard; April 26th, 2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old April 26th, 2013, 03:27 AM

Thumbs down

I've been fightin' this battle for a looooong time! Hard to find ANYTHING in ANY STORE that doesn't say - somewhere - MADE IN CHINA! Went in a WallyWorld about 5 years ago looking for some kind of electrical appliance (don't even remember what it was, just remember the event) and they had a stand alone display of the item (made in China, of course) with the writing on the boxes facing outward in SPANISH! Every one of them, so obviously done on purpose. Screamed at the manager, and walked out. Wrote the CEO and all the Board Members of WW that I would not darken their doors again and will spread the gospel every chance I get. They did respond, said the Spanish speaking were a significant portion of their market. I asked what about the Asians that live in East Dallas, the Germans in Fredericksburg, etc. etc. etc. Have avoided going through their door since then. How many billions of dollars do Mr. Sam's children have to have, anyway?
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:27 PM

Further digression...Check the Kobalt tools from Low...es. Yep china.
After reading what you wrote I went and checked the Kobalt tools in my box. I've had them a few years, 3 or 4, and everyone is marked "USA". I remember the salesman at Lowe's telling me they were forged in the same foundry as the Snap On wrenches, after I thought about it. If I go to the store this weekend I'll see where the current Kobalt wrenches are made.
To the OP, Droptopron, thanks for the heads up I ordered a set of the 7PC Professional Use 12PT Locking Flex Head Ratcheting Combination Wrench Set. Normally $184.99, I saved $120.25 and got them for $64.74 and Made in USA on every one.

Last edited by texxas; April 26th, 2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:37 PM

I've been looking at new TVs. Has there been an American made TV since the Curtis Mathes Television? I did find most Samsungs for sale in my area are Mexican made at a maquilladora just across the Texas border.
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:41 PM

Vizio is made in California. I've got one of their 42-inchers in my den right now.
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:44 PM

According to Wikipedia, Kobalt sockets and wrenches are made in Taiwan, and their other tools are made in China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobalt_%28tools%29
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:55 PM

Speaking of the last U.S. made televsion (prior to Vizio coming online in 2002), I don't think it was Curtis-Mathes, which still exists, by the way, at least as a brand. CM stopped making TVs in 1982, but Zenith, at least, kept making them into the mid-90s I believe. They eventually were bought out by LG Electronics, a South Korean company. I think the Zenith name is still used by LG.

By the way, Vizio is like GM, Ford, and lots of other U.S. manufacturing companies. They're U.S.-based, and their TVs are assembled in the U.S., but not every part in them is U.S.-made.
Old April 26th, 2013, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. Looks like my Kobalt wrenches were made by Snap On. They look much better than the wrenches pictured on that Wikipedia page and have the same part number font as the Snap On wrenches.
Also thanks for the heads up on Vizio being made in the US. I'm looking for a new one for the bedroom.

Quick Reply: Good price on US manufactured wrenches Craftsman