General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Glass kits

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2023, 07:50 AM

Glass kits

I have looked through multiple threads here , not really sure I found the definitive answer ? who has the best glass kit complete for a 69 cutlass/442 convertible? And to confirm 68-72 a body convertibles all used the same glass? I am planning on changing rear, door and windshield , I also want tinted , and I don’t mind the antennae in the windshield , also the chrome for the rear windows is reproduced anybody use them and any feedback?

also is the glass thinner? Any tips on install?

thanks in advance

Last edited by Eddie Hansen; March 9th, 2023 at 07:53 AM.
Old March 9th, 2023, 08:28 AM

68-72 do not use the same door glass. 68 has vent windows and 69 - 72 do not. 69 also uses a different style regulator than 70 - 72 so 69 is one year only.

70-72 style regulator:

69 style regulator:

68 door glass:

69 door glass:

70-72 door glass:

I have used autocity classic glass kits in several vehicles. They make a pretty nice product, but you may find the top of the door glass to be a little wavy. Short of finding perfect original glass, I think it is about the best new glass you are going to find. They have a complete glass kit for 69 convertible A-body (windshield, L & R door glass, L&R quarter glass) priced at $489.00/ set

Last edited by Loaded68W34; March 9th, 2023 at 08:40 AM.
Old March 9th, 2023, 12:58 PM

Thank you sir

Thank you loaded! Of course the 68 has vents lol should have put my brain in gear before stepping on the gas lol , I went to suggested and of course the tinted is out of stock, I’ll give them a call see what the waiting time is , I mean it’s not like I’m rushing anything lol , much appreciate your input
Old March 9th, 2023, 01:11 PM

Autocity Classic also comes to Hershey and Carlise (Spring Carlise is at the end of April). When I bought the glass for the 67 camaro convertible I am working on now, I picked the widshield up at Carlise and they shipped the side glass for free. Not sure if they still do that or not, but they should be able to bring it to the show for you if it will be in stock by then.
Old March 9th, 2023, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Loaded68W34
Autocity Classic also comes to Hershey and Carlise (Spring Carlise is at the end of April). When I bought the glass for the 67 camaro convertible I am working on now, I picked the widshield up at Carlise and they shipped the side glass for free. Not sure if they still do that or not, but they should be able to bring it to the show for you if it will be in stock by then.

great info I am in New Jersey used to go all the time before the internet made everyone think they had platinum rusting in the garage lol
Old March 9th, 2023, 06:21 PM

I just received new glass from Auto City for the 69 hardtop, and had it etched/ date coded.
Order was received in less than 3 weeks, however, the passenger front door glass is on backorder.
The back glass is not available at this time. I was told to check back in late April / early May.
Very pleased with their glass. Have used it in multiple restorations.
It is a thinner glass, that is the one draw back imo.

Good luck with your decision.

Old March 14th, 2023, 06:13 PM

Ordered today!

Originally Posted by 69442murph
I just received new glass from Auto City for the 69 hardtop, and had it etched/ date coded.
Order was received in less than 3 weeks, however, the passenger front door glass is on backorder.
The back glass is not available at this time. I was told to check back in late April / early May.
Very pleased with their glass. Have used it in multiple restorations.
It is a thinner glass, that is the one draw back imo.

Good luck with your decision.
thank you Murph I ordered the complete set today and also decided to add the windshield antennae although i
lnow it wasn’t on a 69 , the door glass will be in stock in a week or so , their other supplier will be later on ,

by any chance do you have a good source for for the glass track rollers? Does anyone make a complete kit? And what about the quarter glass chrome?
Old March 14th, 2023, 07:28 PM
Rodney

Has anybody tried polishing their old glass instead of replacing it? If so, what did they use?
Old March 15th, 2023, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by cdrod
Has anybody tried polishing their old glass instead of replacing it? If so, what did they use?
Take a look at Scrappie's W30 restoration thread starting at post #813:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...146730/page21/
Old March 24th, 2023, 07:45 AM

Thanks everyone!!!!

Well wanted to give a shout out for the help , I expected a little bit of a wait but I am happy to say my glass arrived!! Unexpectedly so lol , I haven’t dug into it yet as I am a little ahead of myself but thank you all getting pretty excited