General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Ebay search changes again?!

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Old(s) Fart

Angry Ebay search changes again?!

So apparently after eliminating wildcard searches (can't use olds*, you must type in (olds,oldsmobile)), ebay has now limited search strings to 100 characters.

So much for all the work typing in new terms to replace the defunct wildcards.

Basically none of my search strings, which I've been using for well over ten years, work anymore. Since ebay encourages sellers to load up ads on keywords to increase visibility, I've been forced to put a lot of "not" terms in my search strings to avoid getting all the "Oldsmobile parking only" signs and HID headlight ads. Now I either have to wade through all those or give up.

Craigslist (and support sites like Searchtempest) are looking better all the time.
Old June 5th, 2013, 10:53 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Wow. Frustrating.

I wonder how doing that works to make them any more money?

- Eric
Old June 5th, 2013, 11:20 AM

Joe, I just spent and hour messing with e-bay It just isn't worth it to me.
Old June 5th, 2013, 11:36 AM

Wildcards don't give eBay a clear data path to what a buyer is searching for (whether full text search, cloud view, or whatever.)

By eliminating the use of Wild Cards, eBay forces us to be more specific with search queries and providing eBay with more and better data to crunch.

So, in a nutshell, dumb people that search dumb stuff are getting advertisements and we're forced to do the same.
Old June 5th, 2013, 12:29 PM
72 Olds CS

damn dumb people ruining it for us smart azzes
Old June 5th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
damn dumb people ruining it for us smart azzes
Actually, people who think they know it all are really ruining it for those of us who do.
Old June 5th, 2013, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Actually, people who think they know it all are really ruining it for those of us who do.
My dad always said, "It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am."

I had that problem with the character limit years ago when I spent more time searching eBay for Olds parts. Back then it didn't take wildcards, either.

I used to enjoy searching eBay for Olds parts; a virtual junkyard! But it got to the point where I was spending more than an hour a day. I've got better ways to waste my days on earth....
Old June 7th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Apparently the 100 character search string limit was a test of some kind, because today all my old search strings work fine.
Old June 7th, 2013, 01:58 PM

I haven't encountered such a problem. Are you guys looking for cars or parts? I look for cars easily and I do have a little headache when it comes to parts. When I look for cars, I go to "collector cars" and hit "Cutlass or 442". When I look for parts, I have my computer "favorites" set on "Cutlass and 442" parts. The problem is when looking for parts, so many items show up that I'm not interested in, like wire connectors, coil spring spacers, all generic stuff that the seller has included "Cutlass or 442" in his ad. Now, I am only really looking for stuff for those models because that's what I play with---not putting down the other Oldsmobiles, but I don't have that much of an interest to warrant looking at those items or cars. I might be "shooting myself in the foot" because there are some items that interchange and I won't see them if the seller doesn't include "Cutlass or 442" in the description. I'm not saying how I do it is the best way, but it works for me.
Old June 7th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
IThe problem is when looking for parts, so many items show up that I'm not interested in, like wire connectors, coil spring spacers, all generic stuff that the seller has included "Cutlass or 442" in his ad.
Which is exactly why I have my lengthy search strings. I use the "-" (NOT) function to filter out the ads for all that generic crap.
Old June 7th, 2013, 05:30 PM

I agree it really seems to be taking huge leaps backwardsrailguy
Old June 9th, 2013, 10:54 AM

Ebay and other search engines in other sites are getting worse and worse. Yes, the '*' function was abolished in ebay which sucked. Today I was helping my lady friend look for some things and found that the "-" option does not work well like it used to. Getting rid of one word in the descriptions of 3000 matches probably would have reduced them to about 100. We gave it up.
Google is getting bad, too, by changing words to what it 'likes' and giving us false results.
Overstock's search is a true joke. It gives you matches that do not even include the word you used.

Like many things, they worked too well to leave them alone. Time to break it so they can call it new. What a stupid business practice.
Old June 9th, 2013, 12:19 PM

I just searched 1966 oldsmobile nos -fits and got 147 items. I took -fits out of the search and got 1222 items. I've been using the -fits for a while and it really eliminates the junk fits all items. If you use the -fits,you have to put a space before the -fits.