General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

an ebay car to look at

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2009, 12:25 PM

an ebay car to look at

don't have the words for this one, other than jo will like the side stripes

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BODY-...item2ea84b4417
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Cutlass Lover

OMG! Maybe JoJo the circus clown would like it! I think that's a terrible thing to do to an Oldsmobile! With a seller name like "fuzzydicecars" I guess anything is possible! LOL! Maybe he was sniffing the same glue as that other guy!!
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:58 PM

What a waste of a good car.
It almost looks like the paint job on the Overhaulin' 68 442. The yellow and blue are a bit lighter, but almost the same paint scheme.

Don't get me started on the LS swap......
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:00 PM

A perfect execution of wasting money!
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:01 PM

That poor thing has been abused, horrible paint combo, chebby engine, what else can be said.....................................
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Trying to remember member

I hope you're happy, Joe!
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:16 PM

That is one big eyesore.. I am all for everyone having their own tastes, but come on! :-)
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:30 PM

I'm almost at a loss for words,however, that's just wrong!!!!
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Cutlass Lover

Yeah, what he said! Maybe he was drunk or high or both! Dude, Far out - Psychedelic, man...
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:43 PM

To quote what a well respected rabbit once said: "what a maroon!"
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:56 PM
1970 442

Chip Foose paint scheme , I can honestly say I've never seen anything that Chip Foose ever did that's looked good, but the guy is famous. Weird colors, weird paint schemes, but I guess the kids today, and a lot of adults with older kids, dig the stuff that gets a lot of attention, regardless of whether it's tasteful or not.
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:57 PM
11.52 @116

Looks like they tried to copy the 68 they did on Overhaulin. Loose the wheels and seats and it isnt that bad. They spent all that $ and they forgot to lower it! Be nicer if the put an Olds motor in it but thays the trend these days.
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:58 PM
11.52 @116

Originally Posted by WhatIf
Chip Foose paint scheme , I can honestly say I've never seen anything that Chip Foose ever did that's looked good, but the guy is famous. Weird colors, weird paint schemes, but I guess the kids today, and a lot of adults with older kids, dig the stuff that gets a lot of attention, regardless of whether it's tasteful or not.
I agree with this statement 100%.
Old October 8th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Thumbs down This is not Chip Foose

Originally Posted by WhatIf
Guys!
Before you start throwing a well known name around, revisit the ebay ad. The statement about paint does not say it was created or even designed by Chip Foose. In fact his name is "italicised" indicating that the quality of products used and workmanship and paint could rival the works of Chip Foose. It does not say anything about the patterns, lines or flow that would present the car as an eye catcher. (Gotta say, it is an eye catcher, but not in a positive way) They are hoping many will brand the car as a Foose one off and be willing to part big $$$. The paint is claimed to be done by a "well known local restorer" what ever that is. If he's that well known and wants to be associated with this car, state his name. Probably can't without being sued though. What's that tell you?

For the record, I have seen several Chip Foose projects that cause me to raise an eyebrow, but not in condemnation. The man is very creative and his visions are sculpted in metal, glass and paint. Sure, his rides are not concours restorations; rather they are modern interpretations of style and imagination. This thread should not be meant to attack Chip Foose simply because his name was "dropped" in the ebay ad, it should be to discuss the merits of what appears to be a random act of recreation possibly without a plan in mind.

Also, claimed to be an $80,000.00 car? Starting price to sell at $20,000.00? I don't buy it.

Last edited by Allan R; October 8th, 2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old October 8th, 2009, 05:21 PM

Well who ever came up with that paint job should be punched in the lips
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Don't blame you for being punchy...

Originally Posted by daves62
Well who ever came up with that paint job should be punched in the lips
Uh, ok.
If you look past the paint and color combo to the straightness of the body and fit, it's not bad. But it's not show quality, and for 18,000.00 it should be. The interior (except the shifter) isn't all that bad. With most everything else being stock, its the mechanical that was modified the most on this car. 30,000.00 for the engine and accessories? Seems a lot high to me. But after that, I'm not seeing where the other 50,000.00 worth of work went. I wouldn't have put a chev crate engine in it. I would have looked for a BBO and TH400 to rebuild and drop in. Saw a 455 rebuild on Horsepower TV couple of weeks back and they boosted it to around 460 hp and around 425 ft/lb of torque if I remember right. Thats more than enough for this car.

I think it would have looked good in a single color. The trunk even looks nice. I notice they don't have cowl lacing or cowl vents installed. I wonder why?

Anyway Dave, I think you have to take your place in line to punch the painter in the lips. I believe you have summed up what a lot of people on this forum feel about the way this Cutlass has been changed. It seems like theres others waiting in line ahead of you though.....
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Real Women of Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Yeah, what he said! Maybe he was drunk or high or both! Dude, Far out - Psychedelic, man...
Hey Sandy!
Hard to read your hat, but it looks to me like you're a real woman 'cause you drive an O L D S M O B I L E ! Love your new signature line, but the pic comes in really wavy and distorted. Kind of a shame not to see your pretty one in her best presentation.
Old October 8th, 2009, 07:03 PM

Who in their right mind would put 80k in a car and then sell on Flea-bay for 20k.. Frame off resto may be more like rattle-can resto
Old October 8th, 2009, 07:57 PM

The car looked impecable. But when you check out the dealer, there are 7 buyers with comments and 4 are unfavorable. All the other comment in the mix are by sellers...and who the heck are they, and what do they have to do with anything? (I would discount all the sellers, as it is the buyer's satisfaction I am interested in). Also, no reserve on an $80k restoration car...hmmm something isn't adding up here.

Call me skeptical...no very.

As they say, when something looks to good to be true, it probably is..."Caviet emptor" and all that jazz.

Last edited by Dan Wirth; October 8th, 2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:23 PM
is Fast Enough ...

I threw up, a little ...
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Official Tire Kicker

That's one ugly car.
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:47 AM

The second I saw it i said Thanks chip. Most of his stuff looks the same to me its like a one hit band that just keeps playing the same thing . I like the drive train in the car
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Willidog
That's one ugly car.
Butt ugly
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Cutlass Lover

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hey Sandy!
Hard to read your hat, but it looks to me like you're a real woman 'cause you drive an O L D S M O B I L E ! Love your new signature line, but the pic comes in really wavy and distorted. Kind of a shame not to see your pretty one in her best presentation.
Yea, I have to have my daughter change it! The prettiest one doesn't look good in distortion, and the hat needs to be bigger!! Maybe I'll just put the hat on, stand by the car and have a new pic taken! LOL
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

I was at Hershey all day yesterday, just seeing this for the first time today. I must admit, I'm speechless.

Old October 9th, 2009, 04:49 PM

"Fuzzy Dice Auto Sales" says it all.
Old October 9th, 2009, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by mugzilla
I threw up, a little ...
X2...in my mouth. Looked like a fair bit of work went into it...but the execution is so poor that it completely detracts form the workmanship. Truly wasted effort, sad.
Old October 9th, 2009, 05:47 PM

You can't tell me they didn't copy this paint scheme.

Foose Overhaulin' 442:

Ebay add:

Looks pretty close to me.

Last edited by svnt442; October 9th, 2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old October 9th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

At least it's better than this thing. I guess America has had a recent shortage of Impalas because people are doing this to everything nowadays.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1988-...item3ef924d71e
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:00 PM

Did you catch the step bumper he put on the rear to be somewhat legal?

Ugh.
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:23 PM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by svnt442
Did you catch the step bumper he put on the rear to be somewhat legal?

Ugh.
Looks like its time for the guy on the VW GTI commercials (from a couple years ago) to step in and "UN-Pimp" some rides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgEvy60bZYI
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:33 PM

I love that!!!
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:06 PM

OK I changed my mind. I'll take the first Ebay car all day long. EWWWWWWWWWWW..... :-)
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Banned

foose's paint scheme isnt much better

didnt those people ebay that 68 442,after whining their motor got blown up on the show?
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Captain of my ship

WOW

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Yea, I have to have my daughter change it! The prettiest one doesn't look good in distortion, and the hat needs to be bigger!! Maybe I'll just put the hat on, stand by the car and have a new pic taken! LOL
Two pretty girls and a cool hat all in one pic.....I could only imagine
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Captain of my ship

Originally Posted by Dan Wirth
The car looked impecable. But when you check out the dealer, there are 7 buyers with comments and 4 are unfavorable. All the other comment in the mix are by sellers...and who the heck are they, and what do they have to do with anything? (I would discount all the sellers, as it is the buyer's satisfaction I am interested in). Also, no reserve on an $80k restoration car...hmmm something isn't adding up here.

Call me skeptical...no very.

As they say, when something looks to good to be true, it probably is..."Caviet emptor" and all that jazz.
Yo man jus put a step on the pass side so I can get my hoe in to drive her down to the corner......
Old October 10th, 2009, 07:37 AM

Uh' I don't really favor it either but who knows how much was put into it, I'd bet if we all added up what we all truly spent on our cars we'd be surprised. I actually perfer the paint scheme on the 71 to Foose's 68 as the top color works with the curve of the 71 better - though both cars just clash way too much - but hey some folks dig this type of work and we should respect their subjective opinions. I wouldn't pay for either car, I wouldn't turn them away if given to me. I saw what he did to Lance Armstrong's GTO or Lemans and didn't like that either. At one point I was thinking of trying to find a show to rebuild my car on so I could just pay for parts but felt it would be too expensive in the end even if I was lucky enough - little did I know how much I would spend - and of course I was afraid if some show did bite I'd have to accept their conditions. I have been talking about repainting my car for a decade now and from the start I told my wife do not do "pimp my ride" or send it to the show that pretends they steal your car ad fix it up - I said I wanted an original car back not something I wouldn't recognize afterwards
Old October 10th, 2009, 08:12 AM

That 88 just screams STYL'IN....

When you 1st look at that 2nd ebay auction and see the exterior paint scheme....you think....man it can't get much worse than that....then....you look inside....those door panels scream where is my orange cowboy pimp hat and my orange nylon pimp suit...and of course satin shirt to match. I can just see it a picture of that with my orange cowboy boots steppin up on the beautiful rear step bumper, oh yeah, does life get any better than that. Okay time to come back to reality. LOL. Oldsdroptop
Old October 10th, 2009, 08:55 AM

It hurts my eyes turn it off.
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by wolfman98
Yo man jus put a step on the pass side so I can get my hoe in to drive her down to the corner......
Yeah, I know what you mean... I can see you like the car too, but it's the dealer I have a problem with.

Quick Reply: an ebay car to look at