General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Dyna Mat (or equivalent), School Me

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2015, 08:42 PM
Mak

Dyna Mat (or equivalent), School Me

So, I'm getting ready to install new carpet. While I have the interior gutted I'm replacing a window motor, replacing the power top pump and a few other items. My car is pretty quiet, and what noise there is because it's a convertible, so I had decided not to use dyna mat. After thinking about, when will I ever have the interior gutted again? I guess I should. I'm considering a knock-off product to save some bucks... looking at this stuff: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FatMat-50-Sq...ce3df0&vxp=mtr
I'm assuming 50 sq ft should be enough? Any tips from those of you that have installed it? Anything else I should consider before I start? Thanks in advance.
Old March 14th, 2015, 09:24 PM

I used Fatmat when I redid the interior on my 66 and it was really easy to use. Seems to do a good job on noise reduction too.
Old March 14th, 2015, 09:36 PM

go to the lumber yard and get a roll of frost guard.this is used for shallow pitched roofs to keep ice from permeating up under the bottom rows of shingles.3ft wide by maybe 60ft long.it's basically dynamat at half the price.
Old March 14th, 2015, 09:39 PM
Mak

Originally Posted by cherokeepeople
go to the lumber yard and get a roll of frost guard.this is used for shallow pitched roofs to keep ice from permeating up under the bottom rows of shingles.3ft wide by maybe 60ft long.it's basically dynamat at half the price.
Interesting. 3' wide roll sounds a lot easier to install than 18". Have you used it? Does it put off any odor?
Old March 15th, 2015, 12:49 AM

Really happy with the Fatmat. Just make sure the surface is very dry.
Be a little careful of the hardware store stuff. Some can vent off unpleasant odors. You don't want to smell like a freshly paved road after every drive.
Old March 15th, 2015, 06:14 AM

I also am happy with the fatmat product. I used the thicker version. Can't remember what it was called. (Extreme?)
Old March 15th, 2015, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mak
Interesting. 3' wide roll sounds a lot easier to install than 18". Have you used it? Does it put off any odor?
Not really. The floor pans are so uneven the 18" Dynamat/other brand is hard to use. It takes a lot of cutting to get it to lay down and even then you have to put splice patches on top of some of the cuts. It takes nearly two boxes of Dynamat to do a 66. I put it on the firewall also because it's better than the OEM style insulation they sell.

Last edited by 66-3X2 442; March 15th, 2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old March 15th, 2015, 08:01 AM
Mak

Originally Posted by garys 68&72
Really happy with the Fatmat. Just make sure the surface is very dry.
Be a little careful of the hardware store stuff. Some can vent off unpleasant odors. You don't want to smell like a freshly paved road after every drive.
Originally Posted by ziff396
I also am happy with the fatmat product. I used the thicker version. Can't remember what it was called. (Extreme?)
Any asphalt odor from the Fatmat??
Old March 15th, 2015, 08:15 AM

cant really remember if it had a smell or not.been about 8 yrs since i used it.
Old March 15th, 2015, 08:18 AM

Nope, none at all.
See post 71 from my build thread:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ii-swap-2.html
Originally Posted by Mak
Any asphalt odor from the Fatmat??
Old March 15th, 2015, 08:23 AM

I used mobile home roof repair. Possibly the same stuff. It's a 1ft by 15ft roll for $15 or something at Home Depot. Haven't found it at lowes. But no odor after installation on 3 vehicles. Easy to manage and adhere and does the trick.
Old March 15th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Mak

Originally Posted by brownbomber77
I used mobile home roof repair. Possibly the same stuff. It's a 1ft by 15ft roll for $15 or something at Home Depot. Haven't found it at lowes. But no odor after installation on 3 vehicles. Easy to manage and adhere and does the trick.
This stuff?
Old March 15th, 2015, 11:49 AM

Ya know, I was kinda looking at the hardware store stuff to save a few bucks too. And I have no doubt others have used it successfully. But I doubt there are specifications for roof materials with respect to odor. So even if it worked well the last time, that's no guarantee it will the next time.
And after laying the fatmat down, I suspect any adhesive product would be a major mess to remove. And that wouldn't include stripping out the entire interior.
Your choice, but that's one job I would spend the extra on a product made for the application if there's even the most remote possibility of the cheaper stuff would cause issues.
Old March 15th, 2015, 11:53 AM

Yeah, not gonna lie, if this is not the last time you're gonna do it or get into it, I would not use the quick roof. It's some pretty nasty stuff
Old March 15th, 2015, 12:04 PM

seam sealer or over it

Nope, none at all.
See post 71 from my build thread:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ii-swap-2.html
Before you install the Fatmat, did you scrape off the seam sealer or you just put on top of it?
Old March 15th, 2015, 01:22 PM

I just cleaned off anything loose, laid down some por15, and put down the fatmat.
I did learn ANY moisture on the metal definitely affected adhesion. In my case it was a propane heater causing condensation in the winter.
I also discovered if you heat the fatmat to about 150 degrees in the oven, it was more pliable and REALLY stuck well.

Originally Posted by ELY442
Before you install the Fatmat, did you scrape off the seam sealer or you just put on top of it?
Old March 15th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Justin

Gary 68&72 did the 50sq do your whole car ?

I am looking to door floor and roof? Before installing my interior and windows

Last edited by oldstata; March 15th, 2015 at 01:48 PM.
Old March 15th, 2015, 01:58 PM

I honestly don't remember how much I bought, but 50 sounds about right. That was just enough to do firewall, floor, and doors. I did not do the roof. Take a look at yours. Mine had a fairly dense insulation stuck there already. It looked like a major mess to remove and attach fatmat to the metal.

Originally Posted by oldstata
Gary 68&72 did the 50sq do your whole car ?

I am looking to door floor and roof? Before installing my interior and windows
Old March 15th, 2015, 02:02 PM
Justin

Mine is a 65 and it had a tar like stuff with card board and insulation on top of that

There was a huge dent on one side of the roof that I worked out and as I was heat shrinking the metal that tar like stuff cought fire, so most has been removed but yeah it's a pita
Old March 15th, 2015, 02:08 PM

Take some measurements, I don't think 50 will do the roof too. But then again, they say you don't need 100% coverage.
Old March 15th, 2015, 04:50 PM

I have no odor from the fatmat. As a contractor, I would NOT use the roofing materials mentioned. They are not designed for heat from underneath for one. Exhaust? They are made to seal nails and shingles from ice backup. I would rather stick to the designed application. As far as the mobile home roof stuff, I don't use box stores. JMO.
Old March 15th, 2015, 07:14 PM
Mak

Originally Posted by ziff396
As a contractor, I would NOT use the roofing materials mentioned. They are not designed for heat from underneath for one. Exhaust? They are made to seal nails and shingles from ice backup. I would rather stick to the designed application.
I think that's probably wise advise. I don't need another worry in the back of my mind... and I sure don't want to have to re-do this job!
Now I'm down to ordering either

Fatmat: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FatMat-50-Sq...mtr&rmvSB=true

Or GTMat: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121069527339...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old March 15th, 2015, 07:15 PM
Mak

Take some measurements, I don't think 50 will do the roof too. But then again, they say you don't need 100% coverage.
Do you think 50 will do the entire floor??
Old March 15th, 2015, 09:55 PM
Justin

This is what I was looking at today

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003TUNRGM/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1426431020&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=fatmat

It's thicker

I
Old March 16th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Mak

This is what I was looking at today

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003TU...eywords=fatmat

It's thicker

I
Thanks, that stuff looks good... I'm planning on ordering it tonight.
By my measurements (which are probably wrong), it looks like 50 sq' isn't even quite enough to do just the entire floor (5.5' wide by 9' long)?
Old March 16th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Justin

Originally Posted by Mak
Thanks, that stuff looks good... I'm planning on ordering it tonight.
By my measurements (which are probably wrong), it looks like 50 sq' isn't even quite enough to do just the entire floor (5.5' wide by 9' long)?
Off google conversion 9" x5.5" was 49.5sq
Old March 16th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Mak

Off google conversion 9" x5.5" was 49.5sq
Yes, but those are flat measurements. When accounting for the irregularities of the floor, I think I'll come up short with 50'. I think I'll order 75' and then go ahead I do the rear wheel well humps & front kick panels.
Old March 17th, 2015, 05:54 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Check out this thread:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...on-primer.html
Old March 17th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Mak

Originally Posted by pcard
That's great! Just what I needed, to see how it actually goes down. I was wondering how to get over the hump smoothly... it makes more sense to do each side separately, then cover the seam down the middle.
I ordered GTMat last night (cuz I'm cheap ) http://www.ebay.com/itm/110913365568...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Hopefully it will be adequate for my needs (my car is just a daily driver, not a full restoration project).
Thanks again, that really helps!
Old May 10th, 2015, 04:04 PM

Hey Mak, I know it's only been a couple of months but I was wondering how you like the GTmat. Looks like the best deal out there for a non-asphalt based deadener. Did it smell and was 75 sq ft enough?

Last edited by Macadoo; May 10th, 2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old May 10th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Mak

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Hey Mak, I know it's only been a couple of months but I was wondering how you like the GTmat. Looks like the best deal out there for a non-asphalt based deadener. Did it smell and was 75 sq ft enough?
I really wish I could answer those questions, but I can't because it's still sitting in the garage next to the carpet kit, waiting to be installed! I got tied up fixing the power top & dealing with exhaust manifold leaks. The good news is, those problems are fixed... and I'm planning on pulling the front seat out and starting the carpet job first thing next Saturday morning!
Old May 10th, 2015, 09:05 PM
Justin

Mac, I got the fat mat 80mil. I currently have the roof done and head liner almost in its been a week no Oder, I did check out the hard ware store stuff. I was thinking of using it to fill in the gaps, but after feeling and smelling it is different stuff and it does have a strong asphalt smell if it stays? I don't know, didn't want to chance it .

It was easy to install I had my 4 &9 year old helping
[

I have over half left of the 50sq. I think this would have done the floor pretty easy depending, on how far up the fire wall you go
Going to order another 50 to do the floor. I will check back in how much extra I have. I want to do the rear quarters in the trunk with the stuff if I have enough extra

Last edited by oldstata; May 11th, 2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old May 11th, 2015, 08:55 AM

The 80 mil is a little pricey for me but IIRC it's non-asphalt. I'm not so sure about the 50 mil. I think that one is asphalt. I did find this and asked for a free sample.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371247777469...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Sorry Mak, didn't mean to rush you, lol. I know what it's like (as many of us do) having boxes laying around with awesome stuff in them that you just can't find the time to deal with.
Old May 11th, 2015, 10:47 AM

I bought a 100 sq. ft. roll of 'Fatmat' for $140.00 and it is enough to do two complete floors in a 66. Easy to work with and no odor after install.
Old May 11th, 2015, 01:05 PM

This begs the question; what are the most important spots to cover? Honestly, I hadn't thought about the ceiling. Is it important? I'm trying to hush my exhaust as much as possible. I can't hear the stereo very well. So I was thinking floor, behind back seat, under the package tray, and both doors. And speaking of doors; some folks cover the the inside skin, others behind the door panels, and yet some do both. I might be adding speakers to my doors and so should do something there.
Randy, I know $140 isn't much but after the new carpet, seat covers, and headliner (not to mention needing about 10 more cans of the Duplicolor), any more and we won't be hitting the road this summer, ya know? Was your $140 Fatmat the 50 mil and was it asphalt based? Mary has asthma and the asphalt would be b.a.d.
Old May 11th, 2015, 01:10 PM

Sorry Mak, kind of hijacked your thread. Fellas, I'm moving this to my "Time for a change...of color" thread.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 09:34 PM
Mak

Originally Posted by Macadoo
Sorry Mak, didn't mean to rush you, lol. I know what it's like (as many of us do) having boxes laying around with awesome stuff in them that you just can't find the time to deal with.
It only took me a little over a year to get to it!

Old May 3rd, 2016, 09:35 PM
Mak

Old May 4th, 2016, 07:24 AM

Impressive. How heavy is this stuff? Could you estimate total weight added to the car?
Old May 4th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Mak

Originally Posted by Koda
Impressive. How heavy is this stuff? Could you estimate total weight added to the car?
I used the entire 75 Sq ft box, which I would guess weighed about 20-25 lbs (?). The GTMat was easy to work with, has no odor & stuck very well (even after sitting in my garage for 2 winter's & 1 summer).
Boy, what a difference it made in the ride quality... Much quieter & more solid feeling now, it literally feels like a different car!

Quick Reply: Dyna Mat (or equivalent), School Me