General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Dual Gate Shifter Knob Question

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2011, 01:08 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Dual Gate Shifter **** Question

I am looking into purchasing two *****. One is off an original 71 W-30 and the other is a brand new NOS still in the GM box. In your opinion what should I expect to pay for them both? There is one on evilpay for $55 by itself and does have a chip on the bottom and don't come with the box. Suggestions?
Thanks all,
Scot
Old April 28th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Shifter ****

Scot
The used one is listed as a buy it now for $55.00 so I doubt the seller will take less. Why not send him a question to find out? Personally, I think it's cheesy for him to have an NOS box in the pic just to get your attn.

I assume this is the one you're talking about: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HURST...-/200474802656 If it was me, I might pop for it if I had money to burn, but I don't.

A real NOS shifter **** will bring whatever the market is desperate enough to pay. (eg: I just bought an NOS relay for my 72 rear defog on glass - 25.00. Another auction: same exact part 150.00) Many sellers and buyers tend to overemphasize SOME of the NOS parts based on their perception of rarity, and prevailing market conditions.

Have you looked at this one from PP? For 19.00 I think you would be hard pressed to tell the difference from NOS http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...-/330423939263

Have you searched through the Hurst catalogue? http://www.hurst-shifters.com/s.nl?s...shifter%20knob

Based on what the markets are showing, I wouldn't pay more than 5.00 for the used **** with the chip in it. Even with the ??added value?? of 40 yrs of 'experience' and 'provenance'.
Old April 28th, 2011, 02:48 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Thanks Allan. Yes that was the one on evilpay I was referring to, but this guy is someone else that has the original one off of his '71 W-30 and claims there is no problems with it and also a NOS one from the late '70's early 80's he bought and forgot about till now. It is still in the GM original box unused and has the part numbers from the era on the box. Hurst carries them but are out of stock for around $20 when they had them. But the NOS one is pretty rare I think, correct me if I'm wrong. PLEASE
Thanks so much,
Scot
Old April 28th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Thanks Allan. Yes that was the one on evilpay I was referring to, but this guy is someone else that has the original one off of his '71 W-30 and claims there is no problems with it and also a NOS one from the late '70's early 80's he bought and forgot about till now. It is still in the GM original box unused and has the part numbers from the era on the box. Hurst carries them but are out of stock for around $20 when they had them. But the NOS one is pretty rare I think, correct me if I'm wrong. PLEASE
Thanks so much,
Scot
NOS is, well NOS. Is NOS 'Rare"? Well for cars of our vintage, it probably is. A truly NOS would usually only have been produced for a limited time span. Is it more valuable? Not necessarily. New Old Stock still means it could be a 40 year old part that isn't perfect. Heck, lots of NOS stuff on the market has been sitting around or been bumped, shuffled etc so much it can look used. Not to mention that some metal NOS parts are corroded new out of the box. Something else you might think about. Recently on CL, some clown was trying to sell a 4 spoke rallye steering wheel that was in a GM box with 'all the correct grp and prt# info' on it. But the wheel was clearly well used even though it presented itself well. The guy said that all GM wheels were made 'smooth' and that only repops had grain. All of us on this site saw through him like a plate glass window. Not saying that the guy you are talking about is doing that, but you have to know if your seller has integrity, ok?

I really do understand your dilemna. Start out by making an offer on the NOS part. May I suggest a good starting point is what PP will sell their repop for new? If he says it's too low, package deal the 2 of them for say 45.00 and see what he says. These NOS parts only have value to the person who absolutely has to have NOS. Also remind him that in today's economy, money is tight. For my money, I'd probably go with a Parts Place repop, or a new Hurst one. Probably not much help, am I?

Scot, to be perfectly honest I'm kind of a traditionalist when it comes to my car so I'd probably spend some money to have the NOS OEM part, but for the right price. Once you put the shifter on the car, no one's going to know whether it's new or old anyway. You can also take an old part and 'recondition' it to look new, and everyone will think you bought an NOS piece!

I sure hope you get what you want for a decent price. Good luck; let us know how things go..
Old April 28th, 2011, 08:01 PM
"Car"mudgeon

You make a great point there Allan. We do have an agreement that if not satisfied I can return it no harm no foul. So I guess we will see if he can get right on the price. Thanks again for your input.
Scot