General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

"Demolition Man" W-30 442 to be sold at B-J

Search this Thread

Old December 26th, 2010, 07:58 AM

"Demolition Man" W-30 442 to be sold at B-J

Yes it IS a real W-30 and it can be yours if you're the high bidder at Barrett-Jackson in January.
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...&aid=403&pop=1
Old December 26th, 2010, 09:45 AM

It may be "real" but just looking at the engine bay, how many things are incorrect?
Old December 26th, 2010, 10:01 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Cool! a whats wrong with this picture thread,I usually learn alot from these types of threads.

Here's what i see or think I see incorrect,

pcv valve/breather system incorrect
is it missing the engine lift bracket
reproduction oai foam seal
generic hardware store bolt for upper radiator hose support
incorrect plating on alternator fan/wrong pulley
missing emmissions decal on radiator support

Old December 26th, 2010, 10:23 AM
Old(s) Fart

The thing that would worry me is the repro red inner fenders. But who am I to argue the "indisputable" factory documentation...
Old December 26th, 2010, 10:25 AM
NôôB

man that is the dream car of mine. Demolition man was THEE movie that got me hooked on 442's/olds. now if i had 100k sitting in my bank lol
Old December 26th, 2010, 11:09 AM

headers
Old December 26th, 2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The thing that would worry me is the repro red inner fenders. But who am I to argue the "indisputable" factory documentation...
not saying your wrong but how in the he ** can you tell they are repro from
That small shot I could only see the headers and the pvc but that was already mentioned
Old December 26th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Registered Abuser

Enjoy my sig pic.
Old December 26th, 2010, 11:24 AM

I like the green 442 on that boxing movie with woody harlson and the car is sand lot two
Old December 26th, 2010, 11:30 AM

Here we go...It must be getting close to the Barrett Jackson Silly Season...I enjoy watching it, but sometimes you just want to scream when you say or show something you know is just wrong. Nice car, but I don't know enough about them to see what is correct or not. Thank goodness we have guys who do.
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:15 PM

It is a little difficult to tell from the pics, but the fenders are also incorrect for a 70. The inside lip of the fender I can see seems to have the little crumple ridges in it. A 70 would be completely smooth..
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:18 PM

Also, aren't the seats incorrect. I don't have my car here, but there look like too many buttons and a button on the thigh area that seems wrong. I also think the door panels with those ridges are incorrect.
Old December 26th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Registered Abuser

This statement tells me that the car was modified in the 90's.

" Oldsmobile modified this car for the movie with performance options not offered to the public."
Old December 26th, 2010, 02:26 PM

it would take me some time to find it but the JWO done a write up on this when the movie came out. i don't know where they got the info for the artical but i think it said that there were three cars for the movie and only one made it to the end. also said they were made from cutlasses and had chevy engines in them. it has ben many years ago but i think that is what it said. also the red finder wells definitely look like the old repop ones that look terrible. i need to dig up the old JWO.
Old December 26th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Red Delta
This statement tells me that the car was modified in the 90's.

" Oldsmobile modified this car for the movie with performance options not offered to the public."
Funny, because that statement tells me that whoever wrote the ad copy is full of it. The movie studios have many small shops that modify and prep movie cars for them. Oldsmobile did NOT modify the car "with options not offered to the public", and they ESPECIALLY did not modify a 1970 car in 1993.

That sound you hear is the BS detector going off.
Old December 26th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Registered Abuser

Oldsmobile did NOT modify the car "with options not offered to the public", and they ESPECIALLY did not modify a 1970 car in 1993.
The BJ site said it. It must be true.
Old December 26th, 2010, 05:03 PM
"me somebody" site member

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
it would take me some time to find it but the JWO done a write up on this when the movie came out. i don't know where they got the info for the artical but i think it said that there were three cars for the movie and only one made it to the end. also said they were made from cutlasses and had chevy engines in them. it has ben many years ago but i think that is what it said. also the red finder wells definitely look like the old repop ones that look terrible. i need to dig up the old JWO.
This is what I recall as well, esp. the bit about the Chebby engines, not sure if I recall this from a JWO article or not, but dead on what I remembered....
Old December 26th, 2010, 08:47 PM

I think this particular car has merit and desireability simply for appearing in the movie (an AWESOME representation of our beloved Oldsmobiles I might add) and not for it not being a concours correct car. The car got pretty trashed in the movie IIRC so it's unsderstandable it has incorrect and repro parts on it. As an Olds lover it is a truly memorable movie scene.
Old December 26th, 2010, 09:10 PM

Funny, because that statement tells me that whoever wrote the ad copy is full of it. The movie studios have many small shops that modify and prep movie cars for them. Oldsmobile did NOT modify the car "with options not offered to the public", and they ESPECIALLY did not modify a 1970 car in 1993.

That sound you hear is the BS detector going off.

This car was part of the GM collection and loaned out for the movie production. You would have to learn more about the car's history, but there is a chance this car is somewhat unusual if it has belonged to GM since new. It was sold off when GM became Government Motors and was forced to sell off a portion of their extensive Heritage collection. If you watch the movie you will see that this is one of the very few futuristic movies where almost all the future cars are concepts. Even the police cars where fiberglass copies of a GM concept 100mpg carbon fiber car. Most other future movies simply use production cars with body kits or something from France. Demolition Man is unique by using actual futuristic cars in the future.

Other concepts used included:
Sting Ray III
Cadillac Voyage
Cadillac Solitaire
Cadillac Aurora
Lean Machine
Pontiac Banshee
HX-3
Oldsmobile Aerotech II
Old December 26th, 2010, 10:12 PM

Regardless if the car is correct, or not- I think it would still be VERY cool to have in the garage due to the movie provenance!
Old December 27th, 2010, 06:15 AM

I would take it to funk master flex and put some tv's in the dash and head rest's
and play the movie on it in a loop well maybe not.
Old December 27th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by mmurphy77
The car got pretty trashed in the movie IIRC so it's unsderstandable it has incorrect and repro parts on it. As an Olds lover it is a truly memorable movie scene.
No, ONE of the three cars used for the movie got trashed. Typically a studio will have stunt cars, driving cars, and one for closeups that looks really good.
Old December 27th, 2010, 07:38 AM
NôôB

i would def put this car under my poster and card set along with the VHS copy i have for this movie lol. too bad no one has the taco bell cup anymore. i remember that cup being so freaking sweet!