General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

cutlass/442 magazine ads

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2011, 09:10 PM

cutlass/442 magazine ads

What magazines did Oldsmobile commonly market the Cutlass/442 "youngmobiles" in?
Old April 9th, 2011, 10:23 PM

GM seemed to spend the real ad money on the "higher end" car mags back then. Typically, you'll find the best two-page type ads for Olds stuff in Car and Driver mags from this era. Especially 1970.....two page ads with a Nugget Gold '70 W30, a dark red '70 442 are found. Maybe Road and Track also. Hot Rod, etc typically didn't have these larger ads. The bonus you will find with a good issue of a Car and Driver will be a few other great ads for other GM lines, Mopars and Ford stuff.

You'll also find some one page '70 Pace Car ads in some issues. There's also a real nice 2 page '71 442 W30 ad typically in Car and Driver...a Viking Blue car with white stripes.

Most of the Olds ad are even cooler since they have Dr. Oldsmobile, Elephant Engine Ernie and other ad characters in them.

Mopar seemed to have a lot of "hallucinatory, drug-induced" ads...not photos but more bizarre, exaggerated color drawing/pictures of their cars. Then again, they also put a large multi-page "Rapid Transit System" ad together (again in Car and Driver I think) that reads more like one of the summary pages that Car and Driver put at the end of each road test....it covers a whole bunch of their cars in this mini-booklet type ad.

Ford (again in Car and Driver) has some VERY COOL ads for Mustangs (Mach 1 and maybe one of the Boss cars)....more of a watercolor type painting of a White Mach 1 and another with a great large action racing shot of a Mustang from the Trans Am racing series.

Definitely cool to look at the old ads, compare how they read, etc.
Old April 10th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Registered

I've never liked those Doc Olds ads, very dark and unsettling, creepy for the time, he looks like a weirdo you wouldn't trust to watch your kid for a minute.
I was a teenage kid with a subscription to Hot Rod magazine and the first thing I thought of when I saw the new Doc Olds ad campaign was drugs, the second was why would anybody want an Oldsmobile musclecar?
Mopar had the Peter Max type psychedelic artwork and they were some of the best looking and feeling car ads ever IMO, but that coyote and road runner couldn't get you stuff.
Old April 10th, 2011, 08:46 AM

i have access to tons and tons of national geographics but they obviously advertise the higher end cars (wagons, 88s, 98s, lincolns, caddies, etc.). I a kick out of old magazines. you can tell alot about the magazine's particular demographic and the times based solely on the ads.
Old April 10th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Actually, Olds did a lot of advertising for the 442s in Hot Rod and the like. One really nice source of old car ads is a pair of books compiled by Mitch Frumkin in 1981/82, Muscle Car Mania and Son of Muscle Car Mania. These books contain reprints of many muscle car ads from the 1960s for all the manufacturers. They are still available on Amazon.
Old April 12th, 2011, 06:03 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I have been collecting some ads that I believe come from "The Saturday Evening Post".
The 68 ad I have makes mention of Oldsmobiles "youngmobiles".

Old April 13th, 2011, 02:57 AM
45 yrs of Olds Nuttiness

Wild About Cars publishes magazine ads from 1949 through the 80s. we have a good selection of these ads - all of which are restored to their original beauty and are downloadable and printable.

Go to http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9940289248940 to check out the olds ads. we are adding more and more each week.

Bob
Old April 13th, 2011, 04:49 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Thanks for reminding us, Bob!

There's so much on that site, it's hard to remember it all.

Thanks!

- Eric
Old April 13th, 2011, 04:59 AM
45 yrs of Olds Nuttiness

That's why I try to let people know. As you know we are building a reference library for car nuts - and not just Olds (although that's where my heart lies). We just recently connected with Eric White, a big Pontiac expert who is also into 442s and will be publishing a book on them. I'll keep everyone posted on when that comes out.

But Eric has also contributed a ton of 442 ads and brochures recently -and he will also be helping build our Pontiac collection up too. He and Kurt Shubert are really starting to upload from their collections: including a bunch of factory info.

For those who want to see what is being uploaded, we have a "weekly uploads" section where you can see what was uploaded and when - by make and model.
If you are interested that is at: http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9990378495698

Thanks for all of you who enjoy the site and have helped make it what it is: If you have stuff that you think we can use, send an e-mail to librarian@wildaboutcars.com

Bob

Last edited by jrzybob442; April 13th, 2011 at 05:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:24 AM

thanks a ton! the wildaboutcars site is great. i know of an antique mall with tons of olds magazines and was trying to narrow down my search for cutlass and 442 ads.
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:30 AM
45 yrs of Olds Nuttiness

I'm glad we could help. We are always loading new stuff so be sure to check that weekly uploads section frequently.

PS, the magazine archive has excerpts of all the critical articles in automotive magazines from 1954-1989 (over 350 magazines and 10 thousand pages). So if you want original magazine articles, go to http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...0262549589.cgi All are downloadable.