General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cross roads with my wife's 69

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2014, 02:08 AM

Cross roads with my wife's 69

So last year I bought my wife a 69 cutlass supreme the car is 100% original with 41k miles the car is solid but has some rust issue's in the lower quarters and fenders my wife wants to keep the car all original and I would like to have the rust repaired what do you guys think I should do I will try and post pics when I get home from work thanks
Old July 16th, 2014, 03:44 AM
Administrator

In my opinion the rust issue is a maintenance item for the future of any cars well being.
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:17 AM

We took it to the body shop that painted my 70 and he said it isn't bad but would recommend we change the fenders other then buy the patches and that's when my wife got upset she doesn't want to replace any panels
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by cmyolds442
my wife got upset she doesn't want to replace any panels
First of all, I've never heard of a wife this involved with any restoration.

Second, explain to the lady that, in some cases, rust can be so bad that it can't be repaired, and it's better to use replacement panels. If she still won't allow it, fine, let the car sit there and rot, and go on with the restoration of your own car.

The purpose of this website is to help people restore their cars, not help people explain to their apparently unreasonable wives about how a restoration should be done.
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:39 AM
car nut farmer

NOS or good repop would probably be more affordable when labor is figured in. Also a patch is only as good as the persons skill set.
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:50 AM

There are two ways to deal with a women... neither of them work!... ...Tedd
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:55 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Maybe you should explain to her that this is the way things are done if you don't want your car to turn into a rust bucket.
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
There are two ways to deal with a women... neither of them work!... ...Tedd
So true...
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
First of all, I've never heard of a wife this involved with any restoration.

Second, explain to the lady that, in some cases, rust can be so bad that it can't be repaired, and it's better to use replacement panels. If she still won't allow it, fine, let the car sit there and rot, and go on with the restoration of your own car.

The purpose of this website is to help people restore their cars, not help people explain to their apparently unreasonable wives about how a restoration should be done.
Well it's her car and it's not sitting there rotting she drives it all summer long and enjoys it the rust is not rot as of yet and she is nowhere near unreasonable
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:46 AM

the rust is not rot as of yet and she is nowhere near unreasonable

Two comments:

1. Rust = rot

2. The definition of unreasonable is not listening to reason. From what you've said, it sounds like she won't listen to reason. We can only go by what you've said.
Old July 16th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Senior Moment Member

A job worth doing is a job worth doing right. Get the new quarters. The car will be a wavy train if you don't. That would lead to disappointment. Explain to her the give and take of original vs a can of bondo vs nice quarters.
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Two comments:

1. Rust = rot

2. The definition of unreasonable is not listening to reason. From what you've said, it sounds like she won't listen to reason. We can only go by what you've said.
The purpose of this post was to get people's opinions and be able to show her what others think her desire to keep a car original is in no way unreasonable
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
A job worth doing is a job worth doing right. Get the new quarters. The car will be a wavy train if you don't. That would lead to disappointment. Explain to her the give and take of original vs a can of bondo vs nice quarters.
Thank you for your Input it's what I would like to do to the car
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:43 AM
71 cutlass convertible

If she drives it during the nice months, set up a time in the winter to have the work done. Tell her rust is like cancer it won't stop until the car is unuasble. The sooner the repair the better and cheaper. It has to be fixed now for cosmetics or later for safety. my .02

Larry
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:47 AM
Administrator

The purpose of this post was to get people's opinions and be able to show her what others think her desire to keep a car original is in no way unreasonable
The rust is not original... It's a Cutlass not a W-30, replacement panels will not detract from the value nor the originality of the vehicle. The object of this endeavor is a repair that will not be conducive to the problem reappearing. A poorly repaired rust issue can lead to more repairs down the road. A replacement panel is probably the most cost effect means to the end result.
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
If she drives it during the nice months, set up a time in the winter to have the work done. Tell her rust is like cancer it won't stop until the car is unuasble. The sooner the repair the better and cheaper. It has to be fixed now for cosmetics or later for safety. my .02

Larry
Thanks that's what we are planning
Old July 16th, 2014, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The rust is not original... It's a Cutlass not a W-30, replacement panels will not detract from the value nor the originality of the vehicle. The object of this endeavor is a repair that will not be conducive to the problem reappearing. A poorly repaired rust issue can lead to more repairs down the road. A replacement panel is probably the most cost effect means to the end result.
Thank you I do agree with you on the replacement panels for the car
Old July 16th, 2014, 04:47 PM

I would also point out that the rust is taking away from the value of the car far more than keeping original panels are adding.
Old July 16th, 2014, 04:56 PM

Also if your repair patch does not last or rust returns around it, you will have to paint it again. Paint work is not cheap. A new panel will look JUST like the old one but last much longer. No one will know. I promise I wont tell.
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:24 PM

Set up the body work, send her off for a long weekend to one of her favorite places, drop her off at the airport, bus stop, train depot, wagon station.......however you plan to get her out of town, drop the 69 off at the body shop. Go home, open beer, light cigar, call the hookers, party like a dog in heat, sober up, clean house, get a penicillin shot just for safety sake, eat a breakfast skillet covered in cream gravy to absorb the alcohol and speed up the recovery from the hangover, call a taxi, have him wait outside the church while you go in for confession, get back in the taxi, pick up the car, take four aspirin, eat a whole role of Certs, check your zipper, stand beside the car all smiles when she is about a minute out, open her door, let her drive home, admit nothing, deny everything and demand proof. Worked for me.
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by '69CutlassVert'
Set up the body work, send her off for a long weekend to one of her favorite places, drop her off at the airport, bus stop, train depot, wagon station.......however you plan to get her out of town, drop the 69 off at the body shop. Go home, open beer, light cigar, call the hookers, party like a dog in heat, sober up, clean house, get a penicillin shot just for safety sake, eat a breakfast skillet covered in cream gravy to absorb the alcohol and speed up the recovery from the hangover, call a taxi, have him wait outside the church while you go in for confession, get back in the taxi, pick up the car, take four aspirin, eat a whole role of Certs, check your zipper, stand beside the car all smiles when she is about a minute out, open her door, let her drive home, admit nothing, deny everything and demand proof. Worked for me.
Awesome idea man lol
Old July 16th, 2014, 06:55 PM

I think it would be easier for all to evaluate the problem if there were good close up pictures of the rust. All 4 corners if possible. It may just need some patches which if done right will last a long time.
Steve