General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Car clubs - meets - cruises and the like

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:15 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

Car clubs - meets - cruises and the like

Could anyone inform me on some car club etiquette?

Is my car old enough to to cruise with the guys in 442's and 30k restores?

I just want to hang out with a group of people that enjoy classic cars as much as I do, and go on cruises and such. Save me from the import haven I live in!!
Old August 24th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Big Daddy No Bucks

IMHO ...

It's about who you are & your attitude more than anything.

Basic common sense helps as well.

If you have that ... I don't think you really need a long checklist of do's & dont's.

That will come naturally.
Old August 24th, 2012, 07:57 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Of course you are fine to cruise with the high dollar cars IMO.

Not all of us have the time or resources to keep a concours car, me included.
That shouldn't stop you enjoying driving your car or hanging out with other enthusuasts.
Unless the club concerned has an age cut off or is model/make specific it should welcome fellow enthusiasts who find the time and pay for the gas to take part in car events.

A feature of many car shows in England is the "drive thru" where owners are invited to bring their cars into the show ring to show it off and talk about it with one of the shows hosts.
A lot of people are reluctant to do so because they feel their car isn't good enough to be in the ring.
I always take my car in if I have the opportunity, I know it won't be going home with any trophies, nor has any American car I've owned but I don't mind.
I hope by taking my not so great car in I may have inspired someone else with a similar car to take part as well. If the drive thru is properly conducted you (and your car) should be treated with respect and you will leave the show ring with a smile on your face.

I have taken part in lots of cruises for particular makes and models other than my Olds, I don't try to be the center of attention and ask the organisers where they would like my car in the running order, not breaking up a line of (insert car make/model here) in great shape or spoiling a photo shoot, I'm normally made very welcome and often thanked for supporting the event.
There have been plenty of posts about crass ignorance at some shows and the usual suspects taking home the trophies. This happens here too, I simply take my car to where I know it will be welcome, or if it's an event I haven't been to before and I meet ignorant or rude organisers I simply cross it off my "to do" list.

Roger.
Old August 24th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Hell, just show up, pay your entry fee, and participate!
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:52 AM

cruise-ins yes, some car shows maybe not. Some limit it to pre 1973 or pre 1980 etc. But more often than not with the release of the newer cars being what they are most allow any cars. So never feel bad about your car at a cruise-in or show. At 27 years old your car should be allowed to attend most. That seems to be the cut-off (25 years or older) though again most shows now include newer cars and even imports. I like when all makes, models and years are welcomed
Old August 24th, 2012, 12:56 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I take my car to shows and cruise-ins. I tell people it's a "before" in a sea of "afters" I get alot of people talking about it plans and remembering there builds or what they are doing now. Take it and enjoy

Larry
Old August 24th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Cutlass Lover

Yes, by all means take it to the shows and cruise in's!! I attend a lot of both here in my area, and there are the 80's cars there. Heck, the new Challengers, Camaro's and Chargers are all there (which I don't like). At least you have a classic with some history! Take it and enjoy the evenings and shows with car people. Cruise In's and most shows here are park where you want. Some shows have 'classes' and you have to park where they tell you. Go have fun with it!!!!!!
Old August 24th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Randy C.

Concur with Cutlassgal. I just got back from the Friday night car show they have here during the summer. There were several brand new (i.e., 6-7 years old or newer) Mustangs and Challengers and a couple of new Chargers. If new works, then anything can show up as far as I'm concerned. And when you show up, there will be people who come up to you to say their parents had a car like yours when they were kids...and that is really the fun of the whole thing for me!

Randy C.
Old August 24th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

Thanks guys - Really boosted my confidence on this - I feel that by socializing and networking with other enthusiasts not only will I learn a great deal but show my interest as well by bringing a 27 year old car in pretty much factory condition appearance wise with a few cosmetic issues here and there which is expected for a untouched car of its age, I'm just surprised that the underbody isn't rusted/rotted It's in very good condition for being an Illinois car it's whole life. I have the original bill of sale - and some other documentation for it as well. I'm going to stop by the dealer it came from to see if I can get any more info/docs on it before I show up at a cruise in/show......also A new rear bumper at the least is a must.

All you folks in Illinois/Indiana/Ohio/Michigan/Iowa areas - Post some cruise in places and usual meeting times if you could. I'll log them in my phone and show up one day =)
Old August 24th, 2012, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by bdub217
Thanks guys - Really boosted my confidence on this - I feel that by socializing and networking with other enthusiasts not only will I learn a great deal but show my interest as well by bringing a 27 year old car in pretty much factory condition appearance wise with a few cosmetic issues here and there which is expected for a untouched car of its age, I'm just surprised that the underbody isn't rusted/rotted It's in very good condition for being an Illinois car it's whole life. I have the original bill of sale - and some other documentation for it as well. I'm going to stop by the dealer it came from to see if I can get any more info/docs on it before I show up at a cruise in/show......also A new rear bumper at the least is a must.

All you folks in Illinois/Indiana/Ohio/Michigan/Iowa areas - Post some cruise in places and usual meeting times if you could. I'll log them in my phone and show up one day =)
You should join the local chapter of the OCA, the Illinois Valley Chapter
http://www.ivocolds.com/
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

Thanks for the info STARFIRE! I'll be sure sign up =)
Old August 25th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Oldsdruid

Brandon, enthusiasm can take you a long way with these things. Trouble is it can also get you saddled with work and jobs helping put the things on!

There are still tons of people in AACA who consider anything earlier than 1960 as just a used car. Don't let them faze you. Take the Delta out and enjoy it. Dress it up some and get it looking its best and you might be surprised what kind of good conversations it will start.

Face it my young friend- these cars are more than 25 years old now and there aren't many left. Even fewer nice ones.

I've always found the IVOC folks to be a very friendly and welcoming bunch. I didn't always agree with some of them's OCA politics but they are good folks and have a good time. I think they're gonna host the OCA Nationals in Springfield again in a couple of years. (Pay attention to what I said earlier about being enthusiastic- they find out, you'll have a job during that show!)
Old August 25th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Always room for one more

Enthusiastic seems to be the word here. Be enthusiastic(but not overbearing) about your own car and don't dog anyone else's car. And yes be ready to step up and help out when someone recognizes that enthusiasm.
Old August 25th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

I'm not afraid to get dirty - it all pays off in the end.
Old August 26th, 2012, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by slantflat
Be enthusiastic(but not overbearing) about your own car and don't dog anyone else's car.

this happened to me the other night,first car show I've been to in almost 8 years. made my blood boil and ruined my night,had to leave early.
Old August 26th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Always room for one more

People who are in the business of ******* other people's cars get a reputation real quick. Suddenly no one wants to hang around them and they wonder why.

In my experience the people who dog other people's cars are the ones whose cars aren't that nice to begin with. Must be a boost my own ego thing.
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Kickin' It Oldschool

I'm not going to put down anyone else's ride, there are many reasons why people are driving what they do.
People who are in the business of ******* other people's cars get a reputation real quick. Suddenly no one wants to hang around them and they wonder why.

In my experience the people who dog other people's cars are the ones whose cars aren't that nice to begin with. Must be a boost my own ego thing.
People like that are why we can't have nice things!!!

-Brandon
Old August 26th, 2012, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Yes, by all means take it to the shows and cruise in's!! I attend a lot of both here in my area, and there are the 80's cars there. Heck, the new Challengers, Camaro's and Chargers are all there (which I don't like). At least you have a classic with some history! Take it and enjoy the evenings and shows with car people. Cruise In's and most shows here are park where you want. Some shows have 'classes' and you have to park where they tell you. Go have fun with it!!!!!!
Agreed. Shows might have some restrictions, buut I may or may not be aware of or have participated in MASSIVE easily 100 to 600+ participant cruises/street races. >.> BUT whether or not the group got together and said "Hey, Its Olds night tomorrow, or F body, or Stang night" (still not saying one way or the other that such events exist ) Theres always TONS of dudes bringing out their Plymouths and AMCs and other cars that might not have been the spotlight make for the event. Likewise on nights where its 'EVERYBODY. HOTROD. ENGAGE.' a great deal of the guys that join the cruise are typically just guys in their accord or integra just wanting to join the fun.

So you should be fine. If you wanna cruise then cruise. Cruises are social events, so its the person more than the car that matters. If you're a cool cucumber then you're set. Cruises will always except more enthusiasts

Last edited by Bacchus; August 26th, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old August 26th, 2012, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by bdub217
Could anyone inform me on some car club etiquette?

Is my car old enough to to cruise with the guys in 442's and 30k restores?

I just want to hang out with a group of people that enjoy classic cars as much as I do, and go on cruises and such. Save me from the import haven I live in!!
If PT Cruisers can be in shows (and they are), then your car certainly can.