General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

California Dreamin' Cruise

Search this Thread

Old October 20th, 2012, 07:26 PM

California Dreamin' Cruise

Hello Oldsmobile enthusiasts,

My name is Ken Pilidis and I am President of the Northern Lights Oldsmobile Club based in Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada. Our club is planning a trip for May 2013 to the SW USA. You will find this flyer on the events page of our website at www.oldsclub.ca/events.asp

We will be travelling through your part of the country and would like to meet with you. If possible, would you tell us a few good places that we shouldn’t miss while visiting your area? The Southern California Chapter sent us some suggestions (thanks Mike). Hopefully, we can set up a meet and greet or a small show and shine for a few hours.

You’re welcome to drive along with us for as long as you wish. You can even follow us back to Canada for our 20th anniversary Rocket Roundup Oldsmobile show in the town of Olds, AB. on July 20th.

Some other local clubs and people have shown interest in driving with us from Canada even though they are not in the club and drive other makes of cars; we chose to let them join us. We have limited non—Oldsmobiles to 1978 and older so we don’t get over run with newer Camaro’s, Mustangs and Challengers. Oldsmobiles have no year restriction.

We’re planning on leaving Alberta on May 11. Here's a brief excerpt. The first night we’ll sleep in British Columbia and cross the border into ID. We spend the second night in WA and head to OR on day 3 spending the night in Salem. Day 4 finds us overnight in Grant’s Pass, OR. Day 5 we’ll be in Leggett, CA. We’ll spend the night of the 17th in Cambria, CA. along the coast and then head to San Diego, up to Las Vegas into Arizona (Kingman & Route 66) on to the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, UT into Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and back into Alberta. The entire trip will take us 18 days however we’re planning on 20. The cruise will be the journey, not the destination. If you’d like to get together with us, please contact me. You can use the president’s email on our website. I’ll update those who are interested, and respond to this email. Hope we get a chance to meet.

Thanks,

Ken Pilidis
President
Northern Lights Oldsmobile Club
www.oldsclub.ca
president@oldsclub.ca
Old October 20th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ambitious agenda! Hope it works out. I'm planning on being at Olds on the 20th and this year I'll be bringing the Silver Surfer.
Old October 20th, 2012, 09:50 PM

Now that's what I call a road trip Ken, I tried to send an email as you suggested but I get an error message. I live 26 miles from Grants Pass Oregon and would enjoy meeting you guys when you pass through. I can suggest some sights to see, but the best ones may take you off your path for much of a day. Such as the California Redwoods, maybe an hour and a half drive SW of Grants Pass. Good paved road, but lots of winding curves to test your suspension! Crater Lake is East, Northeast of Grants Pass and more like 3-4 hour drive. There will likely be snow around the rim but you could reach the visitor center. In my humble opinion... These are both world class sights that you can check out by googling them. I don't know if either would fit into your trip, but let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

John

P.S.
I've never been to Legget California but just looked at the map. So you will be going through the redwoods! Maybe you can find the tree that Rob pushed over when he was there!

Last edited by 2blu442; October 20th, 2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old October 20th, 2012, 11:58 PM

Do you plan coming by San Francisco / Oakland / San Jose area ?

Gene
Old October 21st, 2012, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Now that's what I call a road trip Ken, I tried to send an email as you suggested but I get an error message. I live 26 miles from Grants Pass Oregon and would enjoy meeting you guys when you pass through. I can suggest some sights to see, but the best ones may take you off your path for much of a day. Such as the California Redwoods, maybe an hour and a half drive SW of Grants Pass. Good paved road, but lots of winding curves to test your suspension! Crater Lake is East, Northeast of Grants Pass and more like 3-4 hour drive. There will likely be snow around the rim but you could reach the visitor center. In my humble opinion... These are both world class sights that you can check out by googling them. I don't know if either would fit into your trip, but let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

John

P.S.
I've never been to Legget California but just looked at the map. So you will be going through the redwoods! Maybe you can find the tree that Rob pushed over when he was there!
John,

That would be great! I look forward to meeting you. Grant's Pass is an overnight so we'll be there about 4 - 5 pm. Leggett is where you can drive through the tree. That's an overnight stop too. I tried the email and it worked for me president@oldsclub.ca This trip is getting better all the time. I'll keep an eye out for a fallen tree....
Old October 21st, 2012, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
Do you plan coming by San Francisco / Oakland / San Jose area ?

Gene
Hi Gene, yes, we'll cross the Golden Gate Bridge and stop at Fisherman's Wharf as well as Point Lobos. Look at the map of the trip on the events page of our club website.
Old October 21st, 2012, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Ambitious agenda! Hope it works out. I'm planning on being at Olds on the 20th and this year I'll be bringing the Silver Surfer.

20 days...will average 250 miles a day with a two hour rest some place in between, so it should be no problem. Glad you'll be in Olds on July 20.
Old October 31st, 2012, 09:15 AM
rocketlover

Hi, I wiil be moved to Henderson,Nv by the first of the year. Maybe you would like to see my Rocket garage. I would love to see your cars. If you need some help with nevada maybe i can help.
ED