General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Brakebooster combo identification and years.

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2009, 05:06 PM

Brakebooster combo identification and years.

Hello all,

I am looking at doing a brake booster swap in my '55 88 and found this website that shows using this setup.

I'm told its G body, now this means nothing to me, but I know to someone here they will be able to tell me what years this is off and if it crosses to other makes??

the website was swedish, so I couldn't read all the info, but I could make out G and 1986.

So can someone help with more accurate identification and also if it crosses years, as in 81-86 etc.

I plan on putting a swinging pedal in my '55 and this setup looks much simpler than what I was working on.

thanks

div4.jpg
Old May 24th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by flatoz
Hello all,

I am looking at doing a brake booster swap in my '55 88 and found this website that shows using this setup.

I'm told its G body, now this means nothing to me, but I know to someone here they will be able to tell me what years this is off and if it crosses to other makes??

the website was swedish, so I couldn't read all the info, but I could make out G and 1986.

So can someone help with more accurate identification and also if it crosses years, as in 81-86 etc.

The G-body is the 1981-1988 GM midsize RWD cars (Cutlass, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix, Regal, Malibu, El Camino). The 78-80 cars are identical, but are technically A-body cars. Some of these G-body cars, mainly diesel cars and the tubro Buicks, used hydraulic brake boosters that are even smaller. There are two flavors of hydraulic boosters, the hydroboost, which uses the power steering pump and fluid, and the Powermaster, which uses a self-contained motor to pressurize brake fluid as the booster fluid. Hydroboost boosters can be found on pretty much any one-ton Chevy pickup.
I plan on putting a swinging pedal in my '55 and this setup looks much simpler than what I was working on.

thanks