General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

brake line clips??

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:03 AM

brake line clips??

I am redoing the brake lines in my build, I ordered the stainless lines from the right stuff, however they come with plain non factory looking clamps? I know in line tube repos the factory clips, but now here's the problem, they don't offer them in stainless? so will using an etching primer and painting them be enough? or my other thought was to primer the original looking clips and then use Plasti-dip, yes it is a little thicker then paint, but does anyone see any problem using this stuff, I am not going for a 100% concours rebuild, but want as much as possible to appear factory correct.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:29 PM
Past Administrator

That second idea might be good if the clamps don't crimp down too much on the lines. This would look good and hopefully prevent any vibration or rubbing as well.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:47 PM

Dan, with factory clips I think there is room for that, the plasti-dip really doesn't add that thick of a coat, and it comes in red, black and yellow, might try it on an old clip and see what it looks like..
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:31 PM

You could try a can of galvanized paint.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

What about cutting a small patch of bicycle tube and using it as a buffer between the lines and the clip? It could be small enough to not be seen easily and provide the isolation you're looking for. I haven't done the brake or fuel lines on my car, so I don't know how much room you have to work with on these clips. Anyway, it's a thought.
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:45 AM

I am actually not that worried about the abrasion factor, as I am about having a nice clean stainless steel line and then looking at rusty clips LOL... I have not used galvanized paint? maybe worth checking into. but I just bought new stainless lines and I can not believe it comes with cheap looking non, plated, or painted clips? I don't understand that, it is like getting powder coated calipers and using mounts and backing plates that will surely rust a few weeks after seeing the road.... Helloooooooooo is it me?