General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Battery storage ?

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:12 PM

Battery storage ?

I use a battery tender on my cars but was wondering if one of those quick thread disconnects at the battery would preserve the charge just the same? If anyone has insight let me know as it would be cheaper than keeping it hooked up all winter. Any leak issues doing it that way? Thanks
Old October 11th, 2009, 09:19 PM
67 heavy metal

I don't know what other guys do but I take my battery out and store it in the basement for the winter on a wood shelf.I couldn't do what many do like puttin a trikle charge on as there isn't acess to power were my car gets put up for the winter.I make shure the car has a full tank of gas so no condensation gets in there take out the battery put the car cover on and close it in.But the answer your looking for will come along with somone elses post
Old October 11th, 2009, 10:05 PM

Depending on where you live, if you disconnect the battery it will freeze. If it's disconnected take in the house. I just pull my battery put it on a shelf downstairs in the game room and top it up in spring and install. Been doing that for 25 years, and it works everytime.
Old October 12th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Long life battery

Originally Posted by 442much
Depending on where you live, if you disconnect the battery it will freeze. If it's disconnected take in the house. I just pull my battery put it on a shelf downstairs in the game room and top it up in spring and install. Been doing that for 25 years, and it works everytime.
Can't argue with that kind of success. I've never been able to get more than about 8-9 years out of a battery. If you got 25, that's incredible
Old October 12th, 2009, 08:42 AM

Batteries can eventually freeze and die in the extreme cold. Best to keep them inside as close to room temperature as possible. A "Smart" battery tender is your best bet. "Smart" battery tenders will not overcharge your battery and will keep it constantly charged up at the proper level. I got mine from Camping World and it does a great job. It cost about $50 US.
Old October 12th, 2009, 08:11 PM

So what's the point of the threaded disconnect? It sure won't make it tough to steal the car!
Old October 12th, 2009, 08:23 PM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by deaddds
So what's the point of the threaded disconnect? It sure won't make it tough to steal the car!
if your talkng about what I think you are they use them if you have a draw on your car or at shows to disconnect the power from the battery for safty some people had either falty wiring and had fires or shorts or if you have a show quality car for those indoor shows and leave doors open etc you can disconnect the power without fully unhooking your battery.They are more a add on saftey feature then anything.
Old October 13th, 2009, 07:53 AM

Depending on the year of the car somethings are not shut off by the ignition switch, like clocks and radio memory. If the battery is not disconnected or put on a battery tender it will run the battery down over time. I drive my Olds year around weather permitting so I just use the battery tender. Otherwise do as advised in the above posts, take the battery out and store in a warm place on wood. Concrete will drain a battery in short order
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:00 AM
67 heavy metal

Originally Posted by citcapp
Depending on the year of the car somethings are not shut off by the ignition switch, like clocks and radio memory. If the battery is not disconnected or put on a battery tender it will run the battery down over time. I drive my Olds year around weather permitting so I just use the battery tender. Otherwise do as advised in the above posts, take the battery out and store in a warm place on wood. Concrete will drain a battery in short order
Yes sir that is one of the reasons I take out the battery I have both a clock and a radio that draws so it is best for me to take the batt out and store it till the spring.I am going to miss by car for the winter I always do though it isn't that awful long and I'll be out and driving again.I tell ya though I am considering moving to a warmer state.
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Oldsdruid

A Battery Tender type charger http://batterytender.com is hands down the best investment you can make for a car or battery in storage. I haven't had near the battery issues since I bought my Tender. It's a four-port and maintains the batteries in four cars, plus I have a couple of extras that I'll hook to it occasionally.

I generally leave the batteries in the cars over winter with the Tender connected. Two of them have ETR memory radios and all have clocks, and will discharge the batteries slowly which I think is actually good for them. When the Tender senses low voltage it "float" charges and brings the battery back to full charge.

'Course once in a while I'll get out the old reliable Sears and Schauer automatic small chargers just to make sure they still work, but having the Tender keeps me from having to charge 6 or 7 batteries every fall and spring.

I need to hook up my wheel charger to one of them too. I haven't used that in a couple years! Got it mainly for jump-starting capacity, which I haven't needed in a while.
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:04 AM

Put it in the house & make sure its clean Any oily residue between the post will drain the battery
Old October 13th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Cutlass Lover

tell ya though I am considering moving to a warmer state.

Yeah, that would be nice!! LOL!!