General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Air gap intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2013, 11:11 AM

Air gap intake manifold

Hello guys, I dropped my engine off at my builder last night and we were discussing what will be done with it. Turns out the cylinders were in great shape and won't need to be bored and he will be using the stock pistons if they are in good enough shape. He is going to give me two prices for this. 1 a cost for a basic stock rebuild with mild cam upgrade and another cost for a rebuild with cam upgrade and head work to use bigger valves. He said he can get me an air gap intake manifold for the same price as a standard 3711 edelbrock intake. Being the cost is the same I don't care about that my question is do I need that for my build either way we go? This is just a fun weekend car, it will not see a track. What would be any pros or cons do using that air gap intake? Or am I better off just going with the 3711. FYI it is a 70 350 never been rebuilt before. Thanks for any advice on this.
Old February 12th, 2013, 03:09 PM

56 views and no replies? I have seen a lot of conversation regarding rpm vs performer intakes but nothing regarding an air gap intake. I just met this guy that is doing my build I would love to here some more opinions regarding this air gap intake. Is it necessary for a mild build 350? Or am I better off going with the performer? I see that edelbrock doesnt make one for the sbo. Is there a particular reason for that other than just not enough demand? Please guys any thoughts?

Last edited by Finn5033; February 12th, 2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old February 12th, 2013, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Finn5033
56 views and no replies? I have seen a lot of conversation regarding rpm vs performer intakes but nothing regarding an air gap intake. I just met this guy that is doing my build I would love to here some more opinions regarding this air gap intake. Is it necessary for a mild build 350? Or am I better off going with the performer? I see that edelbrock doesnt make one for the sbo. Is there a particular reason for that other than just not enough demand? Please guys any thoughts?
I'm no expert, so....experts chime in if I've failed!

Is the air-gap a Victor ? Or is it some sort of unicorn SBO RPM air gap ?

The Victor is much more of a race piece and may be overkill & problematic on a mild street motor. The Performer RPM (7111) is about as 'perf' as most go for street motors. The regular Performer (2711/3711) is essentially just a light weight version of the OEM iron intake as far as performance.

You might have better luck moving this thread to the Small Block forum...
Old February 12th, 2013, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the reply. Actually the rpm air gap is a different intake edelbrock makes them for the big blocks but not the small block. I can't seem to find a thread on here that mentions anyone using an air gap style on a olds 350. That's why I really would like to hear some feedback on this since my builder is really recommending I get one. I think I will just go with the regular performer unless anyone else can tell me why I should do otherwise. Do you know how I can move this thread over to the small block forum or do I need to just start a new one?
Old February 13th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Hi might be refering to the RPM manifold.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...f_rpm-sb.shtml
Old February 13th, 2013, 07:34 AM

Hello Oldcutlass, if you go on the link you posted and click under olds you'll see right under the rmp there is an rpm air gap intake. Edelbrock only makes them for the big block other manufacturers make them for the small block also. That is what I am referring to
Old February 13th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Administrator

I understand that, however he is probably thinking that because the air gap is available for a SBC, that it should be available for a SBO. The performer rpm is a good all around manifold if your going a bit more than stock.
Old February 13th, 2013, 07:56 AM

Oh I see, I thought you were referring to me. Ya I think I will be going with the RPM. Thanks
Old February 13th, 2013, 08:08 AM

Nephew thought about the air gap on his '69 BB - woulda put the carb through the hood.
Old February 13th, 2013, 11:59 AM
delete

Also,. if you are running a QJet the Air gap is square bore only.
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:24 PM

Edels's Air-Gap for Olds is for the BBO. However, it can be used with a SBO with Edel heads or BBO heads (machining required), it WILL NOT work with the a stnd SBO. Performer RPM or stnd perform are your better options but it all depends on what you are shooting for. stk to mild use the performer, above that the performer RPM, especially with larger valves, good headers, and somewhat healthy cam. Bottomline, there are a lot of choices...
Old February 13th, 2013, 03:35 PM

My builder is going call me Saturday with the options and cost. I am planning on starting a thread to ask opinions once he gives them to me.