General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Aftermarket Block?

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2012, 06:14 AM

Aftermarket Block?

Am i correct in saying that we are now the only BOPC member that does not have an aftermarket block in production? I was surprised to hear Buick had aftermarket blocks, Chevy has loads of them, and Pontiac has everything under the sun as well. Just an interesting topic i think. Any thoughts?
Old January 15th, 2012, 08:12 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I wasn't aware that aftermarket blocks are being cast, apart from race only applications.

I'm curious to learn here; can anyone come up with what is available at what price?.

Are Ford or Mopar blocks made as well?, I guess the most likely candidates would be small block Chevy and Ford, if Pontiac blocks are available then anything sold in similar numbers might be available.

Roger.
Old January 15th, 2012, 09:53 AM

So far all i know of for sure are BBChevy, BBPontiac, BBBuick, and BBMopar. Of course any of those can be suited to match any size motor so saying Chevy 454 blocks are being made would be a little inaccurate as it could be a 396, 402, 427, 454, 502, etc. but you get the idea. Im sure someone is making small block Chevy and small block Fords but i have no 100% answer on those two off the top of my head. Also most of the aftermarket blocks ive seen typically have lots of great updates. The new Pontiac blocks are stronger, thicker, and generally more modern while the Buicks are also stronger, thicker, and have taller deck heights which allow them to be bored and stroked beyond 700 cubes. I dont think Olds has an aftermarket block though, which is what brought up the subject. Id imagine an aftermarket Olds block would be amazing. Solve the oiling issues and add lots of meat for intense bores, itd be pretty interesting

PS: yes, Ford small blocks and big blocks are available from Ford themselves, Dart also makes aftermarket blocks. Heres some as well
http://www.worldcastings.com/products/engine-blocks

Originally Posted by rustyroger
I wasn't aware that aftermarket blocks are being cast, apart from race only applications.

I'm curious to learn here; can anyone come up with what is available at what price?.

Are Ford or Mopar blocks made as well?, I guess the most likely candidates would be small block Chevy and Ford, if Pontiac blocks are available then anything sold in similar numbers might be available.

Roger.

Last edited by Vega; January 15th, 2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old January 15th, 2012, 10:21 AM

First of all, it would take a huge investment. Then you have to sell them to somebody. There would be no "cheap" about one. I believe the Ponchos run $3500-4000 for a bare block. The guy who is promising new heads, new block, and cranks on ROP has made promises about his heads but has produced nothing for the last year or so. I ain't gonna hold my breath on anything from him. I bet if you wanted to get an aluminum block cast, he would gladly take your money for an investment.
Old January 15th, 2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
First of all, it would take a huge investment. Then you have to sell them to somebody. There would be no "cheap" about one. I believe the Ponchos run $3500-4000 for a bare block. The guy who is promising new heads, new block, and cranks on ROP has made promises about his heads but has produced nothing for the last year or so. I ain't gonna hold my breath on anything from him. I bet if you wanted to get an aluminum block cast, he would gladly take your money for an investment.
Yep, not much too hope for really, but it makes for interesting discussion. Honestly i was surprised when i heard Buick had an aftermarket block that was actually holding its own in this economy. However i have no idea what the price of it is, its not cheap though. Can check the price on TAperformance's website
Old January 15th, 2012, 01:48 PM

IDK man, he did make the heads. He has them for sale now.

Im rooting for, not against guys trying to make new products for Olds. Especially American Made Products.
Old January 15th, 2012, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by f-85
IDK man, he did make the heads. He has them for sale now.

Im rooting for, not against guys trying to make new products for Olds. Especially American Made Products.
Well I'm afraid he is taking deposits? Has anybody actually got a pair? He doesn't even have them on his junk yet. In case you don't know it, he was buddy/buddy with Terry @ FCR.

Mondello spent tons of $$$$$ developing a new block and heads about five yrs ago. Both were busts.

The only thing I have seen lately come out are the Pro Comps. Not sure what kind of success they are, because I haven't heard any results on a running engine.........dyno or down track.
Old January 15th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Im waiting to see how the procomps do on a an engine on the track. Im currently working on a sbo shortblock for future use and depending on how long my current set up holds up i might buy the procomps if the money allows. All i have seen is flow numbers but no durability story or what it's taking to run these on bbo's or sbo's properly.
Old January 15th, 2012, 06:14 PM

The pontiac blocks can be made to work with the olds heads Mondello did this with his twister from what I was told. i will look for the unfo Found it.

Ultimate Warrior

We have done two IA II's with the Olds head bolt pattern in the past. Mondello has one of them i think. It is call a PontiOlds. It has His heads and our block.

Olda has the same bore spacing as a Pontiac Block. The decks are reversed. So a sheet metal intake is needed. A BOP belt drive was used.

Want one?

Quickest, Fastest, Best selling Pontiac Aftermarket Block IA II

2002 Funny car
477 cid IA II Block and ported Tiger Heads
14-71 blower 40 percent over drive
1/4 Mile 6.52 @ 213.1 by Dave Wilcox in Scott Roberts car. 05-30-09 @ Virginia Motor Sports Park
FASTEST Pontiac Powered Block in history IA II and Tiger Head Cylinder Heads

http://www.AllPontiac.com

Last edited by firefrost gold; January 15th, 2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old January 16th, 2012, 05:58 AM

Well I'm afraid he is taking deposits? Has anybody actually got a pair? He doesn't even have them on his junk yet. In case you don't know it, he was buddy/buddy with Terry @ FCR.

Mondello spent tons of $$$$$ developing a new block and heads about five yrs ago. Both were busts.

The only thing I have seen lately come out are the Pro Comps. Not sure what kind of success they are, because I haven't heard any results on a running engine.........dyno or down track.

Im not sure. But i bet he has some stuff out. I dont know Brad in any way. I only see him post on ROP. Seems like a good guy, doesnt get in all the BS arguments other vendors get into. He is just trying to make some new stuff. I dont get why you are knocking the guy. Give him a chance.

As far as Terry gos. Alot of people were friends with Terry. Its not fair to associate Terry and Brads Business.
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:27 AM

So you are telling me you would send Brad $$$$$$ for an investment? That's what he asked for the other day. I have met him a few times and no I don't trust him. We had an Iowa winter bash a few yrs ago and he and Terry had their heads together and were plotting something. Don't let your dreams overcome your good sence.
Old January 16th, 2012, 10:44 AM

So you are telling me you would send Brad $$$$$$ for an investment? That's what he asked for the other day. I have met him a few times and no I don't trust him. We had an Iowa winter bash a few yrs ago and he and Terry had their heads together and were plotting something. Don't let your dreams overcome your good sence.

No i would not send Brad money for an Investment. With that being said, i also wouldnt send ANYONE money for an investment. I just dont trust anyone! LOL But if i wanted a set of heads off of Brad i would put a deposit down on them.

What did Brad and Terry plot? Sounds to me like you just dont like the guy and are trying to mess with his business. To me thats just not cool. If you have some real facts about the guy speak up.

I hope he comes out with some kind of strong block. Lord knows i dont need one now. LOL but some day i hope to.
Old January 16th, 2012, 11:32 AM

Let's talk in a year and see how many heads & blocks of his are in use.
Old January 16th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

This bs is kind of pointless . Is he taking your money. Did he come up to you and ask for your money personally. It all has to start somewhere. If no one supports the olds aftermaket no one will spend time on research and develompment. If people loose their investment that's their fault it happens no investement gaurantees a payoff. Even in big buisness . I just don't know why these topics turn from simple questions into a bash fest. Let people do what they want wether it gets done or not that's up to the developers of the product. If someone lost money that's kind of the name of the game you loose some and you win some but rarely It win win.
Old January 16th, 2012, 02:18 PM

Being he is down in nascar country I think he has a lot of good sources to pull from. I hope he make's it work I would think by spring he would have one to three set on the track or dyno ?
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:40 AM

People are really into this "investment" stuff. Theres more to aftermarket than winning or losing on an investment. You can support the aftermarket simply by buying into the products, you dont have to give thousands towards R&D. Besides, i would hope one of the bigger companies would invest in it themselves just to get it out there. Buick and Pontiac both have it so there's obviously market for off-brand blocks, someones gotta be willing to put their own R&D into it to make that money. Id be all about it if i had a company with the capital to try it. Imagine being the only manufacturer in the world selling brand new highly updated Olds blocks. Every single person interested in that kind of thing would have to buy your product. Thats money in the bank any way you look at it. Then improve on the design and make a BBO with loads of meat for boring and great oiling/cooling, itd be a wicked hot item, even if only for the peace of mind when it comes to not toasting bearings

Not to mention we've already seen a version of this in the DX block, imagine a big block block with similar characteristics. Suddenly you go from the 400 (give or take) SBO strokers running the show to 500 or 600 BBOs blowing them out of the water, and revving as high as a Chevy :-)