General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

3 quick questions ?

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2013, 10:09 PM

3 quick questions ?

I'm slightly over 300 hours into what is now a body off restoration of a 1 owner 1967 Olds Cutlass 442 . There are another 350 estimated hours until finish , and I just want to get best recommendations on a few details.
Tire Size . I was thinking P 225/70 R X14 B.F.G. T.A. replica's built by Diamondback . I have a choice of White Stripe ( specified on my Window Sticker ) Red Stripe , Gold - or Blue Stripe. Car is Aquamarine Blue , Blk vinyl roof , blk interior. Is this the best size , what color sidewall ??
I have 5 O.E. wire Wheel Covers . 3 of the 5 are good , none are perfect.
I was thinking of paint matching O.E. steelies , with dog dish poverty caps ?
If needed , where is best source for the above caps ?
The rear of the car needs to be raised 2 - 3 inches. I was thinking Moog Cargo Coils . If that is an acceptable idea , who or where should I purchase through ? Or , what would be better. ?
I promise pictures , but it will be 2 -3 weeks away . Paint is going on in 2 weeks , and I have decided to rebuild the engine . I'm getting slightly anxious about seeing this car .... I have never laid eyes on , or touched this car. All I have is the paperwork. The car has nice paperwork. Protect - O - Plate with initial service to Original Owner intact.
I do have a thread in newbie section " Greetings from AZ. " July 23 2013.
Most existing photos in album section. Thanks in advance for sharing any ideas on what will be best , thanks , Jim Tuma
Old July 28th, 2013, 10:17 PM

I must be a total noob.

If a moderator is seeing this , I apologize , I believed I was posting this in General Discussion . No idea how I glitched on this .
Sorry , Jim .
Old July 28th, 2013, 10:53 PM

Since you have the "rare" paperwork to show what it was NEW, I would strive to "restore" it to that configuration. I read your other post & understand the desire for radials - FWIW HANKOOK has a whitewall 225/70/14 available at most chain tire stores. With paperwork showing whitewalls & wire wheel covers - I'd have it no other way. ("white" Y70 painted stripes??)

Stock 442s sat low compared to "modern" thoughts of musclecar height & cargo-coils and 70 series 14" tires won't help its appearance.

Your car's list of OPTIONS makes it an "adult musclecar", big money expensive when new. IMO - Trying to make it the bad boy, cheap, sleeper betrays its true identity/purpose.
Old July 29th, 2013, 04:50 AM
Past Administrator

Moved thread
Old July 29th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jimi2much
I'm slightly over 300 hours into what is now a body off restoration of a 1 owner 1967 Olds Cutlass 442 . There are another 350 estimated hours until finish , and I just want to get best recommendations on a few details.
Tire Size . I was thinking P 225/70 R X14 B.F.G. T.A. replica's built by Diamondback . I have a choice of White Stripe ( specified on my Window Sticker ) Red Stripe , Gold - or Blue Stripe. Car is Aquamarine Blue , Blk vinyl roof , blk interior. Is this the best size , what color sidewall ??
I have 5 O.E. wire Wheel Covers . 3 of the 5 are good , none are perfect.
I was thinking of paint matching O.E. steelies , with dog dish poverty caps ? If needed , where is best source for the above caps ?

IMHO if your goal is to follow the window sticker then the answer is obvious. Since your are spending I would assume a great deal of money on your resto, I would stick with the originality theme which will net you your largest return on investment.

The rear of the car needs to be raised 2 - 3 inches. I was thinking Moog Cargo Coils . If that is an acceptable idea , who or where should I purchase through ? Or , what would be better. ?

I have cargo coils on my car. If you look at the stance, you will find it is not compatible with the original look of your car. The front tires on my car are P225-70-15's.

Moog is your best bet for quality front end parts. They can be had through any source. I recently purchased through Rockauto.com and was very satisfied with pricing and service.

I promise pictures , but it will be 2 -3 weeks away . Paint is going on in 2 weeks , and I have decided to rebuild the engine . I'm getting slightly anxious about seeing this car .... I have never laid eyes on , or touched this car. All I have is the paperwork. The car has nice paperwork. Protect - O - Plate with initial service to Original Owner intact.

Again, since you have the documentation, I would stick to keeping it as close to the way it was born as possible.

I do have a thread in newbie section " Greetings from AZ. " July 23 2013.
Most existing photos in album section. Thanks in advance for sharing any ideas on what will be best , thanks , Jim Tuma

Hope all goes well, and yes we do love pictures.
Old July 29th, 2013, 01:03 PM

Thanks !!

The car will get White Stripe tires . Exactly like the window sticker , only concession is that they will be radials. I have an email in at Hankook to see if they produce that tire . If not , Diamondback Classics.
This will test my restoration abilities . My wire wheel covers will come apart in 3 pieces . I will see just how nice I can make them look . My negative feel is just how heavy those caps are .
Springs , again , I will follow your advice , new , original specification Moog .
Thanks , Oldsguy , hurst68olds , and oldcutlass . I JUST needed to be walked back from the cliff of thinking I could make this car look better .
Now , I have to just have confidence that my restoration shop will make the final product as perfect as possible. Pictures of their previous work is impressive. As a side note , I'm having the engine rebuilt to O.E. factory specs . The report and pictures of this will be accompanied by a dyno and build sheet.
As soon as I get pictures , I will post.... Thanks , Jim Tuma
Old July 29th, 2013, 04:53 PM

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/sea...e&rd=14&cs=225

Here's Discount Tire's website with the Hankook 225/70/14 - I see it is listed as BSW, but I've seen it listed as whitewall also. & there is a '66 Charger locally with them on it w/whitewalls (1/2"-5/8"??).