General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

2010 Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2010, 02:53 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
2010 Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise

Just checking to see if anyone out there is planning on coming to Detroitfor the 2010 Woodward Avenue Dream Cruise.This is an event well worth the trip.
Last year the estimated over 40,000 Hot Rods Classics Resto Mods and well over 1.3 Million people.
This event starts moving on the 14th of August and runs into Sunday the 22nd.
This is well worth the drive.
I live about 10 miles North of all the festivities and know a lot of great Hotels Restaurants and Pubs in the area.
It is a great time .
Let me know if you are coming and need any help finding lodging.
Ron
Old August 3rd, 2010, 08:41 PM

The Woodward Dream Cruise is unbelievable.I live in Windsor right across the border from Detroit. My dad & I have been going for 12 years. I bought my Delta Custom last year and drove it up Woodward. Will do the same again this year along with our mandatory lunch at Duggans.
The Woodward Dream Cruise is a celebration of the automobile!
Old August 3rd, 2010, 09:41 PM

I really should do it one of these years, I am 3 hours away, and my aunt and cousin keep inviting me down. My cousin lives just off Woodward Ave.
Old August 4th, 2010, 03:48 AM

we are coming in weds the 18th and staying till sunday, have a thread on 442bro.com and trying to get the guys there lined up for am pm get together to show some strengh in oldsmobile, there are two parks at I think at 13 mile and its 20.00 for the day to park, beats 125.00 or more else where. lets put this togather and maybe someone who lives there can arrange this and we all can put on a cool get together maybe on thur, fri, sat. this will be cool....jim
Old August 5th, 2010, 07:41 AM

What about the Detroit olds club? they usually have a big show and a lot of cars along woodward?
Old August 5th, 2010, 09:43 AM

This is definatly on my bucket list for one of these years!
Just hard to cram all the vacation time wanted off for all these events into just 2 weeks I get off per year.
Old August 9th, 2010, 10:57 AM

If anyone is planning on going to the Woodward cruise be sure to come on up to Flint at the same time for the "BACK TO THE BRICKS" cruise and show. It is held at the same time. On Sat. the 21st. there will be thousands of cars lining Saginaw St.( the main street in downtown Flint that is made of bricks) and all of the side streets. Probably 3 miles of cars shown. There is no entry fee if you want to display your car, just show up. Go to their website www.BacktotheBricks.org to learn more. There are some very nice restaurants in the display area too. Flint is the birthplace of GM and has a nice, if small, Buick museum and the Sloan Museum is the history of Flint.

Last edited by Higgins; August 15th, 2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: wrong web sight
Old August 9th, 2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Higgins
If anyone is planning on going to the Woodward cruise be sure to come on up to Flint at the same time for the "BACK TO THE BRICKS" cruise and show. It is held at the same time. On Sat. the 21st. there will be thousands of cars lining Saginaw St.( the main street in downtown Flint that is made of bricks) and all of the side streets. Probably 3 miles of cars shown. There is no entry fee if you want to display your car, just show up. Go to their website www.BacktotheBricks.com to learn more. There are some very nice restaurants in the display area too. Flint is the birthplace of GM and has a nice, if small, Buick museum and the Sloan Museum is the history of Flint.
We were planning on doing that last year, until we got a call saying they closed entry to Saginaw St at 5am. So if you plan on doing both, go to the Bricks first, really really early, then head down to Woodward.
Old August 9th, 2010, 01:05 PM

Yes, on Sat. 21st. they close Saginaw St. from Court St. to 5th Ave. to start the car displays. The event actually starts on the 17th with a free Drive-in movie at the U.S.23 Drive-in (we still have a real Drive-in theater), the movie will be "The Worlds Fastest Indian." Then Wed. & Thurs. it is a rolling cruise from 5pm-10pm. from Flint to Grand Blanc. On Fri. from 6-10pm will be a car show. On Sat. all the cars are parked for the show starting at 6am so the street is closed to thru traffic. The show is from 8am-8pm. If you want to display your car just show up at either Court or 5th Ave. I would recommend the 5th Ave entrance if you are not getting there at 5am. There will be bands playing & vendors in the central lot. Shirley Muldowney will also be there on Fri. 6-10pm. It is just a fantastic week & the best, well organized event I have ever been to. Also, plenty of parking for those not displaying.
Old August 9th, 2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by tim72
What about the Detroit olds club? they usually have a big show and a lot of cars along woodward?
I talked to a member at Bothwell on Saturday.He said the Oldsmobiles are up towards the Pontiac end of Woodward, but he didn't know the name of the side street? (He said:"it's down a hill and on the right side!")
He also tried to sell me a "mini" starter for $261. and a set of Thornton manifolds and a power brake booster for my W31...he said it would work good!
If I get any "good" info, I'll post it!
Old August 10th, 2010, 03:02 AM

on the right side heading north or south on woodward?
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:08 AM

Motor City Rockets OCA 2009 Woodward Cruise Information

Hello Rockets:

The Woodward Dream Cruise is always an exciting day for MCR club members and again for 2010 Charter One Bank has agreed to allow the Motor City Rockets Club to park at their Branch location on Woodward Ave. and Long Lake Road . The location is 39510 Woodward Ave. , Bloomfield Hills , Michigan (the south-east corner of the intersection). Parking is available on grass and pavement. The number of parking spots is approximately the same as in previous years. Until we have a complete tally of club members that will be participating we are limiting the reservations to one spot per MCR member until July 31, 2010.

Please provide the information requested below:
Name:
E-mail Address:
Make/Model/Year:
OCA #
MCR#
Grass Spot Request: Yes/No (7:00 AM Arrival Required.)
Willing to help for at least one hour: Yes/No
Number of helpers:
Names of helpers:

HELP NEEDED INFO:

We will need some help to monitor the entrances and also to staff the OCA Roadshow tent. We would like to get volunteers and plan on one hour shifts if needed. This process has worked very well in past years. If all who attend can just work one hour we would have enough help to cover the day and no one will miss out on the fun of the cruise. Let me know in your response above.

Cruise Details:

When: Saturday, August 21, 2010, 6:30 AM until 6:30 PM

Where: Charter One Bank
39510 Woodward Avenue
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

Cost: Parking Fees are based on MCR and OCA Club Membership. Details are below.

> Motor City Rockets Club Member: $25.00
> OCA National Club Member: $35.00
> Non-Club Member/Non-Olds Vehicle $45.00

Due to the economy "Stimulus Pricing" is still in effect. These parking fees are very inexpensive for the location, convenience and access to Woodward!

Make your check out to the ? Motor City Rockets.? Please send me the check no later than Saturday, August 14th 2009 to reserve your MCR/OCA spot. A check is the preferred method of payment. As soon as I get your payment I will confirm your spot. Please complete this form, print and mail to me at the address below.

Jeff Pregler
4922 Somerton Drive
Troy, MI 48085
Ph: 248-740-9898
e-mail: motorcityrocketsevents@gmail.com

(Hope this is detailed enuf for you Jim.)

Last edited by Bunser; August 10th, 2010 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Further detail.
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by 65cutty
on the right side heading north or south on woodward?
You may be more interested in Tues.Aug.17, 5PM to ? at Potbellys Sandwich Shop. 31991 Woodward Ave. Royal Oak Mi. 48073.
West side of Woodward at Normandy between 13 and 14 mile.
(A few blocks north of Duggans across from Sams Shell?)
Old August 10th, 2010, 09:47 AM

Im seriously concidering this trip but am concerned that lodging will be an issue. Dont want to end up sleeping in the car for 4 days.
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Higgins
Yes, on Sat. 21st. they close Saginaw St. from Court St. to 5th Ave. to start the car displays. The event actually starts on the 17th with a free Drive-in movie at the U.S.23 Drive-in (we still have a real Drive-in theater), the movie will be "The Worlds Fastest Indian." Then Wed. & Thurs. it is a rolling cruise from 5pm-10pm. from Flint to Grand Blanc. On Fri. from 6-10pm will be a car show. On Sat. all the cars are parked for the show starting at 6am so the street is closed to thru traffic. The show is from 8am-8pm. If you want to display your car just show up at either Court or 5th Ave. I would recommend the 5th Ave entrance if you are not getting there at 5am. There will be bands playing & vendors in the central lot. Shirley Muldowney will also be there on Fri. 6-10pm. It is just a fantastic week & the best, well organized event I have ever been to. Also, plenty of parking for those not displaying.
Would love to go to both shows but it would be nice if they were on two seperate weekends?
Old August 10th, 2010, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by WTony
Im seriously concidering this trip but am concerned that lodging will be an issue. Dont want to end up sleeping in the car for 4 days.

There are motels and hotels all over Metro Detroit. Just stay away from the City of Detroit. Call places near Novi, Troy, and Auburn Hills. They are far enough from Woodward that they wont be booked up. But still close to the cruise zone.
Old August 10th, 2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bunser
Motor City Rockets OCA 2009 Woodward Cruise Information

Hello Rockets:

The Woodward Dream Cruise is always an exciting day for MCR club members and again for 2010 Charter One Bank has agreed to allow the Motor City Rockets Club to park at their Branch location on Woodward Ave. and Long Lake Road . The location is 39510 Woodward Ave. , Bloomfield Hills , Michigan (the south-east corner of the intersection). Parking is available on grass and pavement. The number of parking spots is approximately the same as in previous years. Until we have a complete tally of club members that will be participating we are limiting the reservations to one spot per MCR member until July 31, 2010.

Please provide the information requested below:
Name:
E-mail Address:
Make/Model/Year:
OCA #
MCR#
Grass Spot Request: Yes/No (7:00 AM Arrival Required.)
Willing to help for at least one hour: Yes/No
Number of helpers:
Names of helpers:

HELP NEEDED INFO:

We will need some help to monitor the entrances and also to staff the OCA Roadshow tent. We would like to get volunteers and plan on one hour shifts if needed. This process has worked very well in past years. If all who attend can just work one hour we would have enough help to cover the day and no one will miss out on the fun of the cruise. Let me know in your response above.

Cruise Details:

When: Saturday, August 21, 2010, 6:30 AM until 6:30 PM

Where: Charter One Bank
39510 Woodward Avenue
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan

Cost: Parking Fees are based on MCR and OCA Club Membership. Details are below.

> Motor City Rockets Club Member: $25.00
> OCA National Club Member: $35.00
> Non-Club Member/Non-Olds Vehicle $45.00

Due to the economy "Stimulus Pricing" is still in effect. These parking fees are very inexpensive for the location, convenience and access to Woodward!

Make your check out to the ? Motor City Rockets.? Please send me the check no later than Saturday, August 14th 2009 to reserve your MCR/OCA spot. A check is the preferred method of payment. As soon as I get your payment I will confirm your spot. Please complete this form, print and mail to me at the address below.

Jeff Pregler
4922 Somerton Drive
Troy, MI 48085
Ph: 248-740-9898
e-mail: motorcityrocketsevents@gmail.com

(Hope this is detailed enuf for you Jim.)
Buddy tried to pull in last year and was told its Motor City Rockets parking only. Looks like they let it non members for 45 but thats a rip off. Their location is way north from the main area and there is free parking up that way. Same buddy pulled in some parking lot and sat for free after the MCR told him no.
Old August 10th, 2010, 03:03 PM

I'm no authority on the Dream Cruise, but the "main" spots go for three digits.The best days are probably the three or four leading up to Saturday.The crowds on Saturday go from 1 to 1.3 million people and it's very crowded and not for the faint of heart.(I stay away on Saturdays, too many bad memories.)
Old August 10th, 2010, 05:11 PM

Thumbs up

Hey Gang!

VERY COOL~! I'm going! (Jeff: sent you an Email and I'll try to register and buy a Parking Space at that Bank w/ your Club for my Huge '72 Ninety-Eight 4-Door HardTop there!

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting some Olds Peeps!!
Old August 10th, 2010, 07:31 PM

Main spots are no where close to what they used to go for. Economys fault.

Best time to go is this weekend. People have been cruising for a month now. I went last Sunday, got some ice cream and watched a lot of cars go by. The Shell at Woodward and Normandy was packed with cars.

Usually by Wednesday the traffic gets so bad you cant move. Thurs/Fri is as bad as Cruise day.
Old August 11th, 2010, 03:03 AM

jeff, we are going to call you weds and we will go to the pontiac end of woodward, pack a cooler and chow, maybe the olds people will see all of us cause am not not paying...jim
Old August 11th, 2010, 05:40 AM

I don't have a car in the greatest shape but i would like to make a stand for Oldsmobile.
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by bonezarally
I don't have a car in the greatest shape but i would like to make a stand for Oldsmobile.
Most cars on Woodward, on Saturday are either brand new or pieces of ****. Condition doesnt stop anyone else so go have fun.
Old August 11th, 2010, 03:18 PM

keep me posted and i will try to be there (work pending)
Old August 11th, 2010, 04:12 PM

Thumbs up

Hey Ron,
yeah, thanks -- there's been other Threads about this already; looks like a few of us are going. I'm trying to jump in on one of the "Pre-Paid" parking spots by that big Bank that one of the Local Olds Club Chapters is sponsoring??? (it's in that other thread; just do a search and you'll find it.) I'll BE there and you can't miss me in my big Ol' '72 Ninety-Eight 4-DR Hardtop!
Old August 11th, 2010, 04:14 PM

Red face

DOH!! "Nevermind!" I saw an old isolated post Ron; I'm awake now I think!! LOL! I'll still B there in my Big '72 Ninety-Eight!

Originally Posted by NorTown Olds
Hey Ron,
yeah, thanks -- there's been other Threads about this already; looks like a few of us are going. I'm trying to jump in on one of the "Pre-Paid" parking spots by that big Bank that one of the Local Olds Club Chapters is sponsoring??? (it's in that other thread; just do a search and you'll find it.) I'll BE there and you can't miss me in my big Ol' '72 Ninety-Eight 4-DR Hardtop!
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:25 PM

Count me as one of the few.Please keep me posted.
Old August 11th, 2010, 06:25 PM

Talking

Never been to the cruise so if i can get directions to the olds location i would be thankful.SEE Y'ALL THERE

Last edited by bonezarally; August 13th, 2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old August 14th, 2010, 09:46 AM

If anyone is thinking about coming up to Flint for the "BacktotheBricks", I just found out that besides Shirley Muldowney, Cindy williams (Shirley from Lavern&Shirley) and Paul LeMat from American Graffiti will be there also Fri. night @ 6:30.
Old August 15th, 2010, 07:43 PM

Sorry, I gave the wrong web site. The correct one is www.backtothebricks.org
Old August 16th, 2010, 05:28 PM

I'am not going to make it this year, things came up...jim
Old August 16th, 2010, 06:47 PM

Cruise is pretty much in full swing. Cars everywhere tonight. Traffic getting bad but not as bad as Saturday.
Old August 17th, 2010, 06:28 AM

I will be there sat.So what location do i meet the all OLDSMOBILE group?
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:43 PM

Thumbs up

Hey Guys! Wow! getting PUMPED about WOODWARD! I'm not positive where the Olds' group will be and I haven't sent my $$ yet; HOPING to "pay at the Door!" Just keep cruising and look for a Bank that has olds sitting in it! Should be fun -- I'll have 3 of my Buds w/ me but we're staying at a hotel about 10 Miles away from the real action though I think...we'll be up there Friday for sure during the day; I'll be looking for you guys!
Originally Posted by bonezarally
I will be there sat.So what location do i meet the all OLDSMOBILE group?
Old August 18th, 2010, 04:02 PM

I'll be up that way Sat. I'm hoping to pick up a set of door panels for my 70 Supreme.So I'll get stuck in traffic on the way home
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:31 AM

What a great time was had in Flint at Back-to-the-Bricks last week. 25,000 cars, 300,000 people showed up over the 5 day show and it is all free. I was in the Wed. night cruise, took 2 hours to go the 11 miles one way, the cars were so thick. I didn't have time to make the return trip. People watching at the curb the whole route. Went Fri. night & parked for a few hours, then again on Sat. for the afternoon. Lots of nice comments from people looking and taking photos standing beside my Starfire. It will be even bigger next year I'm sure. This is one of the best shows in the country. People have already posted video on www.youtube.com of the 2010 event.