General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1971/72 w25 hood (MINT) for sale

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

1971/72 w25 hood (MINT) for sale

Ok guys,
here it is. On evil bay go to this link http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...E:B:SS:CA:1123

THIS IS ONE OF THOSE RARE HOODS THAT I SAID WAS OUT THERE. I can't do much about it because the seller prefers not to ship. But if you live in the area of Mansfield OH, or can get there, or know someone there, here is a w25 hood that I would almost kill to get. Added bonus: If your ride is black this is bolt on.

This hood looks cherry, and it has all the reveal trim + chrome hood locks. If someone doesn't jump all over this for that price, I know you're all just whistling hot air.

NOTE: I AM NOT ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SALE IN ANY WAY. JUST WANT SOME OF US TO BE ABLE TO GET A DEAL WHEN IT HAPPENS.
Old August 5th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Registered

That's about 45 minutes from me. Considering guys all over spend way more than that hood for goofy looking wheels with rubber band tires for their Cutlasses, not to mention the sound systems, not a bad deal.

Allan H
Old August 5th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Allan H,
Totally agree,
I'm copied some of the pictures from that auction for quick reference
Here they are. You don't see them in this condition much. STored for 20 years? Wow. According to the seller it has original factory paint and striping.

Last edited by Allan R; October 17th, 2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old August 5th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Gary

It would be a great buy if you lived near Mansfield.Ohio,but that seller is not helping with shipping and another thing about buying something off ebay is that unless you use PayPal to purchase an item,if the seller doesnt send it to you then you have lost your money. I have bought lots of parts off of ebay for my car and have always used PayPal with no problems, For 2500 I think that one would want to go and look at it before they buy and if they win the bid pay the seller cash when the buyer picks up the hood.I wish I lived near him but I am in Texas
Old August 5th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Gary

another thing is that the hood is being advertised as 70-72 hood.The 70 hood is different than the 71-72 hood
Old August 5th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

another thing is that the hood is being advertised as 70-72 hood.The 70 hood is different than the 71-72 hood
Absolutely right. Maybe that's to your advantage to have a seller who doesn't actually know the value of something he's selling?? It's already way fair priced for an original with the trim its got. Maybe he doesn't know what this is really worth?

Parts Place sells a 1970 w25 (fibreglass over metal) just like GM used to make for $729.00 Would be a great deal if I owned a 70 or wanted to change the look on my car.
Sent them an email a while ago, because I don't want one of the imitation fibreglass air box ones. They say they're working on a 71/72 w25 ram air hood that will be the correct metal liner, (sounds like real competition for Thorntons) but don't know when it's coming on stream. Something to think about.

It would be a great buy if you lived near Mansfield.Ohio
Yup, yer right. I understand your comments 100% and agree with you. Only put this thread up for anyone who could take advantage of the sale. I also wish I lived near this dude.

If anyone does live near the guy, spin by and let us know if this is as good as it looks in the pics???
Old August 6th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Gary

I called the Parts Place this morning and they did said that they are in the process of reproducing this hood,He could not give me a time frame. It would be an alternative to Thorntons and at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited by Gary's 2 442-S; August 6th, 2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old August 6th, 2008, 07:55 AM

Can anyone tell what year hood it is from the pics 70 or 71-2?
Old August 6th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It's specific for 71/72. Just like the thread tiltle says. In 1970 the ram air hood had slightly different styling and was more "flat" across the front instead of having the upward recesses for the grill.

71 and 72 used exactly the same w25 hood. Hope that helps clarify.
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Registered

I just got the estimate from the paint guy, I could have my car painted or try to get that hood, just about the same price. A grey primer stock 350 2 barrel single exhaust '71 Vista Cruiser with a shiny black W-25 hood, cool?

Allan H

Last edited by Bluevista; August 6th, 2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old August 7th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

So, would you end up changing the intake to 4bbl and making it a true ram air? I've seen some Vistas with the ram hood and you're right, they look great. Only thing is that you would kind of expect more performance when you see that awesome hood. 2500 for a really good paint job? Jump all over it. My paint (base/clear) cost close to 5 grand and I've just got the S coupe. Get that grey primer covered up, it won't stop moisture penetration. There will be other hoods sooner than later. I've waited this long and don't have a w25 hood. I could wait a little longer until maybe Parts Place introduces theirs. I'll keep an eye peeled in the meantime. Hat's off to ya if you go for the hood; it's one of the best looking ones I've seen offered for a long time.
Old August 8th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Allan R
So, would you end up changing the intake to 4bbl and making it a true ram air? I've seen some Vistas with the ram hood and you're right, they look great. Only thing is that you would kind of expect more performance when you see that awesome hood. 2500 for a really good paint job? Jump all over it. My paint (base/clear) cost close to 5 grand and I've just got the S coupe. Get that grey primer covered up, it won't stop moisture penetration. There will be other hoods sooner than later. I've waited this long and don't have a w25 hood. I could wait a little longer until maybe Parts Place introduces theirs. I'll keep an eye peeled in the meantime. Hat's off to ya if you go for the hood; it's one of the best looking ones I've seen offered for a long time.
I'm keeping the car stock so no hood or intake changes, for now. I would like to find a 455 Vista for my next project, that would be more fitting for that hood, my wife just gave me that funny look when I told her about it. I know $2500 for paint seems cheap but the body work is all done and they aren't doing the inside of the doors and a couple of jambs, t-gate just need the outside done. They have to paint below the molding but no million dollar job or final finishing because of the woodgrain which will cost another 6-800 bucks, I do that.
Thanks for the advice, normally it would be true but the primer is 2K epoxy so no worries about getting wet, nothing touches that stuff and it is very durable. Grey lacquer primer (most spray bomb primer) is about the worst thing you can use anymore, body guys cringe when they see it. I'm no expert but I did spend a lot of time on autobody 101 and the other body forums when I was doing the work.

Allan H
Old August 15th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

So this auction is over and the hood never sold. $2500.00

So this auction is over a while back. I couldn't buy it cause the seller wouldn't ship.
I remember someone on this site telling me that 2300.00 for a new Thornton hood with no parts was not a bad deal and that's the law of supply and demand. I know there's a demand for these hoods, but it appears that price and shipping also play a big part too. If I lived anywhere close, I would have snapped this baby up. Hope it doesn't get thrown in the crusher for lack of interest.
Old August 15th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Registered

I'm going to the Olds show in Alliance (about an hour away) Sunday, I wonder if that hood will be there? I was thinking of taking my GTO but I don't want to make them look bad. I could take the Vista Cruiser, just leave it's hood at home and bolt that baby right on. I get away with too much now, but if my wife found out I paid more for a hood than the car (and she would) I would be living in a Vista Cruiser "down by the river", have a real nice hood though.

Allan
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Registered

The auction was stopped early and the hood was sold, and I was going to sell my wife's dogs to get the cash, I have my own dog. I keep checking out garage sales to see if there happens to be one leaning around, especially in the mandatory cars on blocks in the driveway areas. I hope having an ROP post on here doesn't start a fire or something.

Allan

http://72.22.90.30/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=49985
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Senior Moment Member

"Down by the river". LOL!
Old August 17th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Hi Allan
The auction was stopped early and the hood was sold, and I was going to sell my wife's dogs to get the cash, I have my own dog. I keep checking out garage sales to see if there happens to be one leaning around, especially in the mandatory cars on blocks in the driveway areas. I hope having an ROP post on here doesn't start a fire or something.
Glad to hear that someone got that beauty. Still keeping an eye peeled for another one that the seller is willing to ship.
Gotta go to work (hate it when that happens on a Sunday)
Did you get my reply to the PM the other day?
Old August 17th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Registered

Yeah I got the PM, I sent a reply I think? Parts dude went fishing and shows up when he feels like it. In any case I will see what else me might have, he has bucks and is single so he isn't as quick to sell as some, whoever has the most parts and cars (running or not) when they die wins is his motto. I was at the Olds show in Alliance today and there were tons of parts at the swap meet, I was looking for cruise parts but nobody had anything.

Allan