General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1970-72 A body Floor Mounted Speedo question

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Just an Olds Guy

1970-72 A body Floor Mounted Speedo question

I'm sure that all the guys with bucket seat/console cars can answer this in a heartbeat. I saw a pic for a console shift speedo (on eBay) and noticed there was a gap / opening at the bottom where typically a column shift indicator would be displayed. (see green outline in pic). Anyway, it got me curious as I know that GM had some degree of predictability back in the day these were manufactured. Eg: the body wiring looms were basically all the same with pigtails for any options that may be ordered or installed in the cars. So, were all speedo clusters manufactured this way as a matter of just having a standard speedo pod?

I know how to alter my column shifter if need be and airbrush over the PRNDL. But would there be a different housing for a true column shift from the factory??

Time for the experts to weigh in...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Floor shift speedo.jpg (36.8 KB, 32 views)
Old July 6th, 2013, 11:26 AM

Maybe this is a column shift gauge and they replaced the face only to look like a floor shift gauge, this way you can keep the correct mileage on the car if they are the original mile
Old July 6th, 2013, 12:59 PM

Just checked my floor shift speedo. It's just as the one pictured. Your probably right about them making one speedo and then dressing them deferent per application.

If I had the one you pictured for sale I would hook my drill up to add 437 more miles and get it roll back to all zeros.

Hope that helps.
Old July 6th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 4speed455
Just checked my floor shift speedo. It's just as the one pictured. Your probably right about them making one speedo and then dressing them deferent per application.
Thank you for checking your speedo.

Originally Posted by 4speed455
If I had the one you pictured for sale I would hook my drill up to add 437 more miles and get it roll back to all zeros.
The speedo assembly is not a terribly difficult thing to take apart. There is a plastic holder on the back of the dials that holds the numbers into place. By carefully removing it, you can re position all the numbers to 0. I wouldn't suggest you try it though unless you have the patience and material to do it. If you need a rebuild, Bob's Speedometer does a great job and they'll replace any of the discolored numbers on the wheels to original white.

All the older cars can do the rollback, all the new cars don't work that way. They'll (new cars) register total mileage even if it's in reverse gear.