Starter Rebuilt at Casey's in MI

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2013, 04:09 PM

Starter Rebuilt at Casey's in MI

Looks good, only a couple nitpick details on which I could use input.

Does the '68 need/use the studded case bolt? I thought that was for other models or years with a support strap to the case bolt.

One of the ground brush wires had to be replaced, it was secured with a screw and nut rather than a rivet. I don't have a printed list [yet] but I believe it needed everything- field coils, armature, bendix, solenoid, plus all the usual wear parts.

13082_STARTER_A4_zps90dc0daa.jpg

13082_STARTER_A5_zps8d1a8a6f.jpg

new bendix
13082_STARTER_C1bendix_zpseb55f0ac.jpg

New DELCO Solenoid
13082_STARTER_C4b_zps2f2b8c61.jpg

New brushes and armature
13082_STARTER_C5c_zpsb2a31b58.jpg

Incorrect solenoid screws and gasket? - Easy Fix....

Armature not undercut? Is that how it's done now? Is OK?
13082_STARTER_CF5anoundercuts_zpsaec72434.jpg

Extra stamp by rebuilder. Harumph. OK, I guess. How about on the inside somewhere or behind the solenoid?
13082_STARTER_CF6aRbldrStamp_zpsaeb0ada4.jpg

ALL FOUR field coil screws appear to be [edit]...

I did not get a chance to take one photo of it before I sent it off, I guess.

[Yes I did]

The B4 pix show that the Ground Brush lead was bad before, and its rivet replaced with a screw. The (4) marred slot drive coil screws were just like that before I got it, so we can blame a much previous person for that touch.

Last edited by Octania; March 28th, 2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old March 28th, 2013, 09:43 AM

bump, and

Summary- Casey's took a beaten broken sorry excuse for a starter, with my favorite number and date, and made if functionally like new and cosmetically as good as it can be w/o much more extensive detail work.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

I neglected to tear down the starter before sending it off, to see how bad it was in there. I have not seen many starters with rivets replaced and coil screws disturbed. Usually just a polish of the armature, new brushes and bearings, and back into service. Then there was the one off my truck that ran long after the brush was gone, and ate halfway thru the brush attaching screw!
Old March 28th, 2013, 06:18 PM

It looks like a nice rebuild, but not a nice restoration. Looks like new fields and possibly a new or different armature. Undercutting should only be done on armatures insulated with mica. The bakelite insulated ones which is in there now should not be undercut, so it is correct. I assume you did not tell the rebuilder it was for a show car or I doubt he would have stamped it. OE did not have the gasket under the solenoid. The solenoid looks new and has a delco cap, but not period correct and the solenoid cap screws are not period correct. Field screws are often very difficult to remove and replace without some damage to the appearance, so they actually look pretty good. Red paint showing? Replacing the ground brush lead with a rivet is a bit difficult especially if looking for the OE look. Nut and bolt is an accepted rebuild practice. As you showed solenoid to housing screws are wrong. It looks like a very nice rebuild. If you wanted a restoration, you should have specified that and I am sure the price would have to tripple easily. I don't know what you paid, but from what I can see, it does look like a nice job.