Radio and turn signal issues...

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2015, 10:06 AM

Radio and turn signal issues...

Thanx for your help (pre-emptive)...

Original radio in 1968 442 is dead . It is am\fm , 2 speakers in rear and 1 in front . It may be operator error , but I hear the click turning left **** and fade fr to back doesn't produce any sound . How hard is it to remove radio from dash ?

Front turn signals are both loose and rock up and down . Pulled bezel , but saw no way to tighten . Doesn't look like you can get to the back without major disassembly . I have a service manual and a fischer body manual , but cant seem to find what I need .

I just got this beauty and only have 47 more payments before it's mine.
It has several minor issues and I probably overpaid for it , but it is what I have wanted for some time and I am very happy to have it in my garage.
I went thru about 700 threads looking for answers to these problems but no luck . I did find lots of info and stuff I didn't know that I didn't know , so it was time well spent .
Again , thanx in advance for time , info , and help

Russell

P.S. Anyone from DFW metro area?? Will soon be needing Q-jet rebuilt and Th-400 work .....
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Have you checked to see that the antenna is plugged in the radio? There are quite a few of us in the DFW area. There are 2 pretty cool car shows coming up here in Granbury.

Sweethearts and Orphans car Show
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...22-2015-a.html

North Texas Olds Club Zone Show:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...zone-show.html
Old February 5th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Old(s) Fart

Radio:

Is this a factory am/fm mono or stereo? In any case, the factory only installed one rear speaker. I'm guessing that this is a mono radio with fader. Possible failure causes could be the fader potentiometer or the amplifier power transistor. The transistor is a common failure. It's the TO3 case transistor that's heat-sinked to the outside of the case. It's fairly easy to cross the part number and replace it. I've done this in the past.

The turn signal access info is in your Chassis Service Manual, specifically figure 11-35 on page 11-18. You have to remove the plastic headlight housings to access the nuts that hold the park/turn housings to the plastic headlight housing. Yes, considerable disassembly is required, starting with dropping the front bumper.
Old February 6th, 2015, 07:12 AM

Thanx for your response . It takes me so long to type , that by the time I hit send ,I have been logged out and my reply is gone .
Bummer!!!

Russell
Old February 6th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Check the little box when you log in.