Parking/Marker Light only work with turn signal??

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2013, 11:46 PM

Parking/Marker Light only work with turn signal??

Situation is this: If I Turn the head lights on the driver's side marker and lower parking light do not come on (the passenger side does). If I turn on the left turn signal, both of those lights will blink. I noticed on my way home from work this evening that the drivers side turn signal arrow was lit steady on my dash. After checking the search I saw a similar issue but I'd assume if it was the ground then both sides would be affected? I'm going to trouble shoot tomorrow and I am always grateful for the help.

Thanks.
Old June 1st, 2013, 02:42 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

It's a bad ground or a bad connection (corrosion) in the signal light socket.

- Eric
Old June 7th, 2013, 06:19 PM

ok..now all the lights with engage with the switch flipped BUT the left signals will not blink on the driver side...moreover (and I assume its unrelated) my speedo quit on me...
Old June 7th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Are ALL of the left signals on, but not blinking, or is a bulb out (or are some illuminating their low-wattage filament instead of their high-wattage filament)?

It shouldn't flash with a bulb out.

Do the four-ways work?

- Eric
Old June 7th, 2013, 07:31 PM

all lights on the affected side (head lamp, high beam, parking and fender marker) are illuminating. They will not blink however. Light strength is consistent on both sides.
Old June 7th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Now you've got me stumped.

If the current draw is the same, then either side should flash the same way, as both sides go through the same flasher.

If the current draw is different, then the lights would not be the same brightness.

I'll have to think about this.

Do the head / tail lights and the sidemarkers work normally?

- Eric
Old June 10th, 2013, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Now you've got me stumped.

If the current draw is the same, then either side should flash the same way, as both sides go through the same flasher.

If the current draw is different, then the lights would not be the same brightness.

I'll have to think about this.

Do the head / tail lights and the sidemarkers work normally?

- Eric
The driver's side parking light is slightly brighter than the passenger side upon a closer inspection. Are we still thinking ground issue? Now the drivers side marker light will blink but not the parking light..this is giving me a headache. Thanks for the help Eric
Old June 11th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 1BOSS83
The driver's side parking light is slightly brighter than the passenger side upon a closer inspection.
Are we still thinking ground issue? Now the drivers side marker light will blink but not the parking light..this is giving me a headache.
Yup - you've got a ground problem there.

Take a look at both front signals and make sure of which one is not behaving correctly - the dim filament should come on with the parking lights, and the bright filament with the signal lights.

Take a look at it with the 4-ways as well, and with the parking lights on and off, just to see if there's anything odd, like one light that gets dim and then bright.

Once you've found the affected light, make sure that that socket and bulb, and the socket and bulb of the associated sidemarker, are clean, that the bulbs are properly inserted, and that their grounds are good.

- Eric