Oil press, temp, and amp gauge install?

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2009, 03:38 PM
Registered Luser

Exclamation Oil press, temp, and amp gauge install?

I thought I may have seen a question like this here before, but I couldn't locate it. I'm going to be installing some vintage SW greenlines(actual from '60's that say made in USA on face, not new one reproduced now, although they are nice!) to go along with the '65 442 Tach I just installed in my '65 Vista....is it possible to keep the idiot lights functioning and still hook these up? I would think I could probably do it with the temp(as I have an edelbrock intake, and several locations to install the sender, but the biggest problem would be the oil pressure sender. The gauges I'm installing are mechanical. Would I be right about the temp(I could install it in another port as long as it is in the water jacket in the intake, therefore keeping the light for the idiots still working) how about the oil? Any ideas? Also, incase you're thinking "you don't need the idiot lights if you have the gauges you idiot!", thanks, I realize that....just want to keep it intact so to speak....thanks!
Old June 22nd, 2009, 05:13 PM

Just buy a 1/4"x 1" nipple and a 1/4" "T" screw the sending unit into the top of the T and the oil tube in the side of the "T". Job done. don't forget to use pipe tape on the threads.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by citcapp
Just buy a 1/4"x 1" nipple and a 1/4" "T" screw the sending unit into the top of the T and the oil tube in the side of the "T". Job done. don't forget to use pipe tape on the threads.
It's that simple Pat? You wouldn't happen to have a pic of this set up? So basically, the "T" is the sending unit for the gauge(I won't have to buy one now)? Thanks! Have you done this or has anyone out there done this? Thanks again Pat!
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ent72olds
It's that simple Pat? You wouldn't happen to have a pic of this set up? So basically, the "T" is the sending unit for the gauge(I won't have to buy one now)? Thanks! Have you done this or has anyone out there done this? Thanks again Pat!
I've done this many times. Not a problem. I use a hardware store 1/8" NPT brass tee and a 1" long 1/8" NPT bushing to screw into the block. Coolant temp sensors must be in the coolant flow and thus cannot be teed together, but pressure sensors can be teed no problem.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:52 PM
Oldsdruid

Just be careful with that ammeter. I've seen more than one car go up in flames because of an aftermarket ammeter. I generally try to stay away from them. A voltmeter is much more useful, but I understand your S-W's don't have one.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 07:57 PM
Registered Luser

Thanks all for your advice and help! Rocketraider, not looking to burn the car down...any advice, maybe a fuseable link or something?