Need help with coil/distributor wiring

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2009, 05:44 AM

Need help with coil/distributor wiring

Guys,
I know this may seem simple to some of you, but....
I am replacing my distributor, and ignition coil back to stock. The previous owner had installed a Petronix system, and he hacked the wiring completely. I have purchased a rebuilt points distributor, and a new ignition coil. I just need to know what color wires go where. Please help. The distributor has one wire coming out of it. Where does that go? What wires go to where on the coil? I also have a condensor attatched to the coil bracket, Does that attatch to the positive side or negative side of the coil? Basically, I need someone to hold my hand through this.
Thanks again.
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:27 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Yellow wire (from starter solenoid) goes to coil +.

Not sure about 72, but in 71 there was pinkish looking wire that also goes to coil +. It is a resistor wire that comes from the ignition switch. It is bypassed during cranking (the yellow wire) so the coil gets a full 12 volts when it needs it most. You can fry a coil and go through a hoop and a group of points over that one. If you have one , that is...

Wire from distributor goes to coil +.

Rotsa ruck, my friend.

C.J.
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Geezer

Would seem to me to make sure you get it right it would be good to have a shop manual on hand, or instead of buying a original style distributor buy a GM HEI distributor which would come with installation instructions and give you the benefit of electronic ignition. FYI, HEI distributors appeared as standard on Olds engines starting with 1973 I believe. Should be no brainer and a lot better than screwing around with points.

Last edited by Texascarnut; May 13th, 2009 at 08:44 AM.