Help...electrical nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2011, 08:28 AM

Help...electrical nightmare!

Good morning OLDS enthusiasts. I have a bit of an electrical problem. My parking and dash lights went bye-bye while I was driving last night. A mechanic is estimating $98/hr to check it out (I ran for the hills, lol). Can you guys help me do some troubleshooting. Which fuse should I check?
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Southern_Hospitality
Good morning OLDS enthusiasts. I have a bit of an electrical problem. My parking and dash lights went bye-bye while I was driving last night. A mechanic is estimating $98/hr to check it out (I ran for the hills, lol). Can you guys help me do some troubleshooting. Which fuse should I check?
If you can't tell which fuse is which because the labels are likely faded off, take a multi-meter (using the continuity setting) and check each fuse without taking them out (just touch the 2 ends of the meter to each of the fuse). At least on my '76, the dash light fuse is a very small one at the very top of the panel..a little tough to get to sometimes. If you don't have a meter, you can do a quick check by using a paperclip and touching both ends of each fuse. When your lights turn back on, you found your fuse.

Keep in mind, a blown fuse means a short of some kind...maybe a wire is loose somewhere and is contacting something it shouldn't be. Unless the wrong fuse is in there (too small), it will likely blow again.

Good luck.
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:39 AM

They're labeled on the fuse panel, and there aren't very many of them in total. It should take you less than five minutes with a flashlight to give them all a good look and see if any are blown. The dash lights usually have a separate, small 4-amp fuse, and it will be labeled "courtesy lights" or something like that.
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

"Courtesy" is a big fuse for interior lighting, clock and cig. lighter.

"Inst" is a small fuse for dash lights.

- Eric
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
The dash lights usually have a separate, small 4-amp fuse, and it will be labeled
That one is labeled INST LPS. That fuse gets its power from the TAIL fuse.
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:46 PM

use a test light both side of fuse should have power,if there is power on 1 side only then the fuse is blown.