Battery draw

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2020, 09:48 PM

Battery draw

Need help, got a draw on my battery. Put a test light between the negative post and the cable and it lights up, pulled one fuse at a time until all were removed and the light never went out. Don`t know where else to look for the draw. Battery loses about .3 of a volt a day. Thanks for any help.
Old October 1st, 2020, 10:35 PM

Unplug the connector on the alternator. A leaky diode will cause a constant current drain from the battery.
Old October 2nd, 2020, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Fun71
Unplug the connector on the alternator. A leaky diode will cause a constant current drain from the battery.
x2
Old October 2nd, 2020, 06:58 PM

I should have said this in my write up. The alternator has been replaced to a one wire and the voltage regulator has been removed. Same problem.
Old October 2nd, 2020, 07:04 PM
Running On Empty

Just curious if you happen to know the model & year of the car?
Old October 2nd, 2020, 07:25 PM

Sorry for that. 1971 Cutlass, was a 350 but someone put a 455 in it before I got it. Thanks
Old October 2nd, 2020, 08:06 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by riskyb
I should have said this in my write up. The alternator has been replaced to a one wire and the voltage regulator has been removed. Same problem.
You mean the external VR has been removed since you went with a single wire generator - obviously the VR is built into the single wire generator. Did you do the generator change or someone else? I'm curious if the wiring was done correctly.
Old October 2nd, 2020, 09:54 PM

The one wire alternator only uses the main red wire and the 2 prong alt plug just stays unplugged, same as the VR just is unplugged also. The battery is getting charged just fine, but the problem has been there all the time. Also new battery. The only thing that runs is the clock that I know of.
Old October 3rd, 2020, 04:49 AM
Administrator

Do you have newer style audio equipment installed?
Old October 3rd, 2020, 07:45 AM
72 Olds CS

Is it an original clock? I have read that as they age worn an sticky parts can cause a higher that typical current draw.
Old October 3rd, 2020, 07:13 PM

Thanks I will look into the stereo when I get home sunday, will unhook it and the clock.
Old October 4th, 2020, 06:21 AM

If you pulled the fuse for the cigarette lighter and dome light, and the draw is still there, it’s not the clock. I don’t have my manual handy to check but the clock is on one of those fuses
Old October 4th, 2020, 06:40 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by matt69olds
If you pulled the fuse for the cigarette lighter and dome light, and the draw is still there, it’s not the clock. I don’t have my manual handy to check but the clock is on one of those fuses
The clock, cigar lighter, dome lamp & courtesy are all located on the same 25A fuse for a '71 Cutlass.
Old October 4th, 2020, 01:51 PM

You should have several circuits powered off the horn relay that do not go through any fuses in the fuse box. If pulling all of the fuses doesn’t isolate the draw my next step would be to remove the wires from the horn relay lug one at a time until you find the draw.
Old October 4th, 2020, 08:56 PM

The diodes inside your one-wire alternator can leak too so you might try disconnecting that as well. Aftermarket audio equipment is often blamed for current draw whole the vehicle is turned off but it is easy to test. If your head unit is digital, it will have one ACC (switched) lead and one back-up (constant power) lead. If it is working correctly it will only draw a few mili-amps Pull all the fuses and see if you still have the draw, same as you did with the vehicle fuses. If you have an amplifier (or more than one) the same applies, pull the fuses. Another thing to look at is your horn relay. On my 67, the horn was burned out (I didn't know that) because a previous owner installed a Grants wheel and the notoriously bad horn button was always shorted. The horn relay still worked but not the horn so it was always drawing power. It is easy to unplug.
Just a few thoughts.
Old October 4th, 2020, 09:59 PM

First want to thank you all for stuff to check out. Did the test light again while I unplugged wires off the horn relay, the green light got real dim. By the way the horn doesn`t work. Will check the battery tomorrow and see if the volts go down. Will look at the horn later. Busy week this week, not much time to play on the car. Thanks again. Love this web sight.
Old October 5th, 2020, 06:21 AM

The green wire on the horn relay is the power feed for the horns. If you disconnect that, and your draw disappears, that suggests the horn relay is either being triggered (the black wire goes to the horn button in the steering wheel) or the relay itself is stuck. Since the horns don’t work, it’s entirely possibly the horns themselves are stuck, drawing current even while not making noise.

Get a test light, connect the alligator clip to the positive post of the battery. Put the probe on the black wire of the horn relay. Every time you push the horn button, the light should light up.

Jumper the green wire to the stud on the horn relay, the horns should sound. If not, take a hammer handle or some other “tool of persuasion” and smack the horns a couple times. Sometimes the horns need a little attitude adjustment to get them going again. If they don’t sound, or at least click or make noise, they are probably severely corroded internally.

Since I’m cheap, I used horns from a Cadillac Fleetwood on my Olds. I transferred the mounting tabs from the original Olds horns onto the Cadillac horns. This gave me environmentally sealed electrical plugs, horns with some authority, and cost basically nothing but some time to fabricate the mounting and wiring.
Old October 5th, 2020, 06:46 PM

I will look into all that next week. Thanks Matt
Old October 11th, 2020, 01:52 PM

Ok, On the draw test I pulled the clock, lighter, and courtesy light fuse and the test light went out. Just got to narrow that one out
Old October 11th, 2020, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Sounds like your getting closer. Be careful with the cig lighter as they have been known to stick and cause issues, melting dashes and or fires.
Old October 11th, 2020, 07:42 PM
Oldsdruid

Easiest thing is pull the bulbs on glovebox and trunk lamps if car has them. If draw goes away, sweet and simple.

Does the clock work? It shouldn't pull down the battery that hard or fast, but if its points are burned together it could do it. I'd think that would blow a fuse though.

Past that, wiring diagram and patience. Shoot some WD40 or contact cleaner in the door jamb switches and see if that helps.
Old October 12th, 2020, 06:12 AM

Trunk lamp, console lamp, glove box lamp, clock power feed, things like that are all powered by that fuse. Don’t forget anything aftermarket that might have been added over the years.

This is where a factory wiring diagram is helpful. It shows all the factory connectors. For example, if you unplug the taillight harness connector and your draw goes away, then that leave the main dome lamp, and trunk lamp. The console and other courtesy lamps have a connector that plugs into the fuse box, and would still be powered with the taillight harness unplugged.

Electrical issues are some of the most irritating and satisfying problems on a car. Trying to solve them are infuriating, and the “Ah-Ha” moment is refreshing.
Old October 12th, 2020, 01:59 PM

Narrowed it down to the courtesy lights. Removed the 5 bulbs, ( 3 dome and 2 under dash ) and the test light went out. May live with that until I rewire the whole car. Thanks for the help.
Old October 12th, 2020, 02:56 PM

Did you hold the door switch closed when Testing?

Last edited by stellar; October 12th, 2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old October 12th, 2020, 03:33 PM

No. Was I suppose to?
Old October 12th, 2020, 03:44 PM

Light stays out with doors open or closed.
Old October 12th, 2020, 05:09 PM

Is that the test light staying out with the 5 bulbs pulled? Put the lights back in and see if any of them are on in the dark.
Old October 12th, 2020, 05:39 PM

Yes on your first question. Put bulbs back in, closed doors and all bulbs went out.
Old October 12th, 2020, 08:34 PM
Oldsdruid

Was the current draw still there w bulbs in and not lit? Inquiring minds wanna know!
Old October 12th, 2020, 09:31 PM

Yes
Old October 13th, 2020, 07:43 AM
Oldsdruid

Make sure you have the correct bulbs in the underdash and sail panel lights. I think they should all be single filament double contact bulbs but look in the sockets themselves to see whether it should have a single or double contact. Owner's and service manuals will have the correct bulb number.
Old October 13th, 2020, 10:19 AM

Will do. Thanks