67 Cutlass 442 High beams ok but no low beams

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2023, 03:58 PM

67 Cutlass 442 High beams ok but no low beams

Havent had to ask for help in awhile but now I could use some help once again. All 4 lights work on high but NOTHING on low. Also the flashers dont work either. Both things used to work but I never drive at night so now thinking about selling and would like to have them working. Car has been sitting for several months due to working on another project. Any ideas? Thanks Mike
Old December 1st, 2023, 04:03 PM

Bad low sealed beams? The low filament may be bad on both. Check for power to them on low beam, if there is power and they don't light they are bad.
Old December 1st, 2023, 04:09 PM

all four are brand new as the prior owner had replaced all 4 with high dollar HEI or whatever you call them that shine blue and make a lot of noise. i wanted original seal beams so I just purchased brand new and installed but did not check operation prior to install cause I wasnt going to keep them.
Old December 1st, 2023, 04:26 PM
Administrator

The problem is somewhere between the dimmer switch and the lamps. Get out a meter or test lamp and see where the power drops off. This takes less time than making another post.
Old December 1st, 2023, 05:39 PM

I keyed out a bad dimmer switch by pulling the plug and putting a paperclip to jump across the plug. This was on a 1970 Cutlass and power to one side got low beams, power to other side got high beams.
John
Old December 1st, 2023, 06:54 PM

will check out harness further over the weekend and report back, thanks
Old December 2nd, 2023, 06:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Trace the wiring with a test light or VOM. This is one of the simplest circuits on the car.

Old December 2nd, 2023, 09:38 AM
Oldsdruid

Did PO modify that circuit with a relay when those headlights were installed?

Also do a continuity test on the low beam filaments. Just because an electrical part is new doesn't mean it's good. I've had newer production sealed beams light up and immediately burn out a filament. Especially offshore production.

Reminds me- my stash of NOS headlight bulbs is getting low. Not that those are easy to find at swap meets anymore.
Old December 4th, 2023, 03:22 PM

Hey Joe, I did check out the harness and found that the pin for the high/low wire was not making good contact from the harness side of the connection at firewall. I disconnected it and tested pins for continuity from the harness end of the connector to each bulb connector and had continuity on all 4 bulbs. Had power to the #6 pin at firewall and while looking at the harness end connector i saw that the connecting pin has a contact flap that appeared to be too close to the pin therefore not making good contact to the firewall connector and due to sitting up for a few months in the workshop appeared to have a little corrosion. Anyway I pried out all the pin flaps and lightly used a tiny piece of ultrafine grit sandpaper rolled up to address the corrosion. Bottom line I put it together and all 4 lights work and dimmer works high and low. thanks for heads up.
Old December 6th, 2023, 03:44 PM

I did get all 4 lights working but now I see that my high beam light indicator is not working nor are the turn signals. All turn signal lights right and left work and front and back will come on just not flash and the indicator dash lights work. I swapped out an old dimmer for the one in the car and same results, no flash. Any ideas on that? or just need a new dimmer?
Old December 6th, 2023, 06:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

The high beam indicator is powered directly from the wire that also powers the high beams, so if the actual headlights are on, then either the indicator bulb is burned out or the ground is bad (check the contacts on the twist-in socket for the 194 bulb) or pin at the printed circuit connector is bad or the wire from the dimmer to the printed circuit is bad.

If all of the turn signals light up but do not flash, you have a bad flasher module. Note that the flasher module for the turn signals is on a pigtail behind the dash. It is not the one on the fuse box.

Old December 7th, 2023, 04:17 AM

Thanks once again for the heads up. I will check it out and report findings, they did work the last time I drove it cause I always check these things while driving. Not working this time.
Old December 7th, 2023, 02:04 PM

New Flasher took care of the flashing. Again thanks for the location of the flasher. Never would have found it since it was not on the fuse block. I will check on the bulb for high beam indicator later and report back
Old December 11th, 2023, 05:12 AM

decided not to fix the high beam indicator since I dont drive the car at night. Aint worth the trouble of pulling the speedo.