Swap steering wheel for 4 spoke..

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Acceleratii maxim rapidus

Swap steering wheel for 4 spoke..

Hi y'all
Once again I need to call on the collectively held wealth of information here...
My '73 Delta steering wheel is cracking and generally looks and feels twice as old as the car (bit like me really..) I found a real nice 4 spoke sports wheel in the correct colour to replace it with if I can make it fit.

Has anyone done this swap already that can help with info on what i might need to find to put this wheel on? (A body to a B body)
I'm guessing some sort of boss is required as the sports wheel has a number of chamfered screws, whereas the original has but one nut, (and the one that drives it...)

The wheel doesn't come with a horn pad either. Anyone have one in saddle brown to sell? or can at least show me a picture of what center horn pad I should be looking for?

Thanks for your consideration.

This is the wheel I would like to put on my Delta.

_571_zpse44126fe.jpg
Old August 20th, 2014, 07:00 PM

You'll need a hub for the 4 spoke wheel as well as horn button and all the other parts to make the horn work. You will need a steering wheel puller, other then that it's an easy swap. Take the old wheel off and put on the hub for the 4 spoke wheel then bolt everything else on. The steering wheel pictured is the smaller diameter Starfire wheel. The bigger wheel is only available in black.

Last edited by 4speed455; August 20th, 2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old August 20th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Old(s) Fart

The upper end of your Delta steering column is dimensionally identical to the one in a Cutlass, so get the Cutlass hub. The horn contacts are the same as those on a similar year Corvette or Camaro, so all the Chevy repro houses sell them. The horn button is the same for Olds and Buick, only the center emblem changes (and the emblem can be swapped out). Finding a tan horn button may be a challenge.