rebuilding fuel pump?s 64 super 88

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2013, 07:53 PM

rebuilding fuel pump?s 64 super 88

Got the kit from then and now, got the valves in and went to replace, as the book calls it the pull rod seal. Seal that keeps fuel out of crankcase. The one is the kit is no where near the original style. The original just sat in place cone shaped, the new seal is like a modern grease seal, im not sure if this needs to be pressed into the pump body, although the seal seems a bit large to go into the body. Let me know if pics are needed.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 02:27 AM

As far as I can tell from my manual, all fuel is above the diaphragm, so the pull rod seal really just keeps any contaminants from entering the area below the diaphragm. It should just press in. If the diaphragm ever did go bad, it would probably go past this seal. I would also think that your pump wouldn't work with a bad diaphragm. I think there is also a bleed or drain hole under the lever area where it goes into the casting, and this is where you would see fuel coming out if the diaphragm went bad. It could also show up in your oil. Do you have a manual or instructions with the kit? You could also call then and now if need be. I bought a kit from them a year ago, but didn't have any problems.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 03:52 PM

fuelpump.jpg

So the one on the left is what came in the kit. The one on the right was in the pump. Then and now said the seal they sent is specked for my pump, they also stated may have been a casting difference somewhere. They wanted to send me the correct seal, but then realized the diameter of the seal that rides on the diaphragm arm would be different. So i think i will be sending them pump to them for a rebuild. Thanks for your help, i was thinking the seal they send in would just pres into the casting on pump but was to large and i was did not want to damage anything
Old January 3rd, 2014, 06:52 PM

Question

It is entirely possible (and likely) that the fuel pump on your '64 has been replaced over time, and is not the original pump.....??

I have not worked on these in years, and can't remember details of the pumps, but it is something to think about; today's gas with ethanol is pretty tough on ALL fuel system parts, and it is not likely that the pump has survived all these years!
Old January 3rd, 2014, 06:57 PM

I am pretty sure its the original part, as my manual shows it exactly as i found it. After they rebuild it i am going to open it back up and see if they used the original style gasket, or if they used the style in the kit
Old January 4th, 2014, 05:10 AM

My seal looked like the one on the right in your picture and a new one came in my kit, so I didn't have any problem. The seal on the left may be for a different application. Not sure. Sending your pump to them for rebuild should take care of it. However, I don't think I would open it up just to see what they did. I understand your curiosity, but, you know the old saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it". I tend to agree with R-body Mopar in that it may not be the original pump. Best of luck, and let us know how everything turns out.
Frank B
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:12 PM

Sent the pump to then and now they said i had the wrong kit. So they used the correct kit that had the seal on the right side in the picture. They sure made it look like brand new, havent got it installed yet, going to replace the fuel lines, and still have to find the metal line from pump to carb, as mine is in bad shape.WP_20140127_001.jpg
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by 1964super88
Sent the pump to then and now they said i had the wrong kit. So they used the correct kit that had the seal on the right side in the picture. They sure made it look like brand new, havent got it installed yet, going to replace the fuel lines, and still have to find the metal line from pump to carb, as mine is in bad shape.
Wow, nice looking pump, who rebuilt it and how much, sure looks like they know what there doing, have to wonder why they stopped putting the filter before the pump, other than gas would continue to drain from tank when you cleaned/replaced filter.
Old January 30th, 2014, 10:12 AM

Then and now rebuilt the pump, then-now.com , is there web site, it was 100 bucks shipped back to me, not to bad when the kit i got from fusicks was 89.00 but they returned it no problem.
Old January 30th, 2014, 10:23 AM

Then and Now does nice work and their price is a bargain in my opinion.
Old March 24th, 2014, 09:05 AM

im glad I looked into this post. not that mine is bad, but it certainly doesn't look like that nice new remanned one there, and its a very similar one. mine doesn't have the same clear filter on the bottom,rather a white metal filter im guessing it was changed over the years (I would hope so anyway).

Is the clear one what would have been original?
that site then-now.com seems like a good place for a replacement then eh?
Old March 24th, 2014, 09:35 AM

<p>I know fuskicks sells the glass bowl the glass bowl is I believe original then and now may have them, I recommend them for the rebuild they did a great job, it was a ugly oily mess when I sent it to them, the made it look new again</p>