Please Help

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2008, 04:50 PM

Question Please Help

I just got a 1971 delta 88 convertible from a fellow in town and it had been recently painted but received a scratch at the back which needs to be touched up. The guy who I bought it from didn't have any touch up paint but did tell me that the color was the stock green that it once was and that it shouldn't be hard to find. I can't seem to find any tags on the car giving me the paint code and was wondering if anybody could help me out and steer me in the right direction with the paint code that it may be. Any help would be appreciated.
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Past Administrator

I don't have any paint chips for 1971 but am posting to "bump" this up again. If nobody here has those, that is what you need to search out, a good place to start would be on ebay, look for 1971 Oldsmobile paint codes, or paint chips. Good luck and welcome to our site.
Old July 17th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I don't have any paint chips for 1971 but am posting to "bump" this up again. If nobody here has those, that is what you need to search out, a good place to start would be on ebay, look for 1971 Oldsmobile paint codes, or paint chips. Good luck and welcome to our site.
You can also try this on-line paint chip library:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/

The actual color reproduction is at the mercy of your monitor, but you'll get an idea of the color codes, anyway.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Dones
I just got a 1971 delta 88 convertible from a fellow in town and it had been recently painted but received a scratch at the back which needs to be touched up. The guy who I bought it from didn't have any touch up paint but did tell me that the color was the stock green that it once was and that it shouldn't be hard to find. I can't seem to find any tags on the car giving me the paint code and was wondering if anybody could help me out and steer me in the right direction with the paint code that it may be. Any help would be appreciated.
No cowl tag??? Really unusual.
Seems to me there's someone on this site who can look up the paint code just from the VIN on the car. Maybe post it and see where that goes.

Since you're going to have to do touch up anyway, take a paint sample from the damaged area and have a paint shop get it analyzed. Even though it's been repainted, there's no guarantee that the paint was matched properly to the original specs.