Little problem with wheel studs..

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2010, 12:39 PM

Little problem with wheel studs..

I posted this same thread a couple of hours ago..but now I can't find it...could have sworn it was goin here..oh well...can anyone tell me if a special tool is used to pull new wheel studs on the front wheels of my 62 super 88 cpe...2 were snapped off last week during some work that I was having done...(didn't realize the left way right way) The shop couldn't locate the correct studs so they tack welded in 5 new ones so I could get the car home....I now have the proper parts and the shop is saying that a special swaging tool is needed and he doesn't have it....can't these be pulled in the shadetree way with some extra washers and a couple old lug nuts ? any input is greatly appreciated......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
99 (14).jpg (84.8 KB, 3 views)
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:53 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by 62HOLIDAY
can't these be pulled in the shadetree way with some extra washers and a couple old lug nuts ? any input is greatly appreciated......
Thats how I have always done studs.
Old November 24th, 2010, 01:52 PM

Same here
Old November 24th, 2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by 62HOLIDAY
I posted this same thread a couple of hours ago..but now I can't find it...could have sworn it was goin here..oh well...can anyone tell me if a special tool is used to pull new wheel studs on the front wheels of my 62 super 88 cpe...2 were snapped off last week during some work that I was having done...(didn't realize the left way right way) The shop couldn't locate the correct studs so they tack welded in 5 new ones so I could get the car home....I now have the proper parts and the shop is saying that a special swaging tool is needed and he doesn't have it....can't these be pulled in the shadetree way with some extra washers and a couple old lug nuts ? any input is greatly appreciated......

If they can't install the new ones you better find another shop as they just aren't very knowledgeable, and you seem to have already stated how it should be done!!!