How much to repair & re-chrome bumper

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2011, 11:42 AM

How much to repair & re-chrome bumper

Could anyone give me a general idea of what it would cost to re-chrome a 63 Starfire rear bumper. One on E-bay went for $650 with shipping last week. I thought that was a bit much, couldn't afford it anyways. Mine is straight and chrome is good except where the tailpipes exit. There are rust holes on both sides of the bumper so some welding would have to be done too. Just wanted an idea before I start contacting any platers later this year.
Thanks
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Higgins
Could anyone give me a general idea of what it would cost to re-chrome a 63 Starfire rear bumper. One on E-bay went for $650 with shipping last week. I thought that was a bit much, couldn't afford it anyways. Mine is straight and chrome is good except where the tailpipes exit. There are rust holes on both sides of the bumper so some welding would have to be done too. Just wanted an idea before I start contacting any platers later this year.
Thanks
$650 was unfortunately not a bad price. Going rate for rechrome on a straight, rust-free bumper is in the $350-$450 range these days. The work to fix the rust holes will get you very close to the $650 number, if not over. And welcome to the ranks of those of us who own early-60 Olds full size cars with the "clever" hidden fastener brackets that are guaranteed to trap salt and moisture.
Old January 25th, 2011, 12:30 PM
car guy

I paid $450.00 to have a clean rust free 66 Cutlass chromed and remove a few dings. I think to fix yours will go over $650.00
Old January 25th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Hey Higgins,

I just got a quote for the bumpers on my '76 Ninety Eight from Ogden Chrome. They quoted me $405 for either bumper which includes shipping both ways and any minor repairs. They do triple plating and from what I've heard, they do an incredible job. I sent them my front bumper last week and should have it back in a few weeks. I can't wait to see how it comes out. I thougt the price was very reasonable, especially since they're covering the shipping. Check out their site: www.ogdenchrome.com. I think you'll find some posts on here about them if you do a search. Good luck and nice car!!
Old January 25th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Past Administrator

I think triple plating is the standard process for electro-plating. Not to say that they don't do good work but sometimes a common procedure is made to sound special in advertisements like using the term 'triple plating'.
Old January 25th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I think triple plating is the standard process for electro-plating. Not to say that they don't do good work but sometimes a common procedure is made to sound special in advertisements like using the term 'triple plating'.
Correct. Copper is plated on first as a base, then nickel for color, then the chrome for corrosion resistance. That's the "triple" plating. Any shop that DOESN'T do this should be given a wide berth.
Old January 25th, 2011, 01:46 PM

This is my first experience having anything rechromed but from what I saw in my research there are plenty of shops that skip the copper. I'm not sure how you can skip steps in a process like this but apparently it is done.
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:28 PM

please let us know how it goes. would like to here how they work out for you for sure. the guy doing my chroming fell threw. have a bunch to get done
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by 76 Regency
This is my first experience having anything rechromed but from what I saw in my research there are plenty of shops that skip the copper. I'm not sure how you can skip steps in a process like this but apparently it is done.
Thanks, love your 98's. Let us know how the bumpers turn out. Some photos when you get them back.
At 10' away mine looks great but just above each tailpipe it is rusted through, about a 3" area of pinholes. Joe said it was from the bumper brackets collecting mud, I'll have to take another look but I thought it might be the heat & moisture from the tail pipes. Of course I can't find
another staight one, they are all worse than mine.
Old January 25th, 2011, 04:39 PM

Thanks, love your 98's. Let us know how the bumpers turn out. Some photos when you get them back.
At 10' away mine looks great but just above each tailpipe it is rusted through, about a 3" area of pinholes. Joe said it was from the bumper brackets collecting mud, I'll have to take another look but I thought it might be the heat & moisture from the tail pipes. Of course I can't find
Hey Higgins,

Thanks. I will definitely be posting pictures of the bumper after I get it back. I just tracked it and it arrived at the FedEx hub in Salt Lake today so they'll have it tomorrow and will call me to confirm and begin work. I've never had anything rechromed and I am VERY excited about this. All of the chrome on the front of my black 98 is NOS so this bumper is the icing on the cake! I'm sure you can find a good core in a yard out west or down south. Keep us posted.
Old January 25th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Oldsdruid

Of course I can't find
Exactly. $650 for a rechromed 63 B-body bumper was a very good price. I've seen more than one 64 go $500 for a replatable core.