78 / 79 Coupes -- Rear / Opera Window Differences

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2024, 09:09 PM

78 / 79 Coupes -- Rear / Opera Window Differences

I've noticed that there are (at least) a couple of different rear / opera window design variations from the factory ..

It seems like most of the slick top no vinyl roof cars, as well as the full vinyl roof cars have larger rear / opera windows... and most of the half vinyl roof cars have smaller, thinner rear / opera windows.

However, I've seen a couple of half vinyl roof cars with the bigger rear / opera windows (AND aluminum trim around the entire big back window.) And I've seen full vinyl top cars with the smaller window

Is there any rhyme or reason to this? Year and options don't seem to make a difference or line up in any way....Are there different RPO codes for the different window designs? (Seem like a Joe P questions to me....)

Pictures below. I believe these cars to be original (at least that's what the owners I've spoken with and the ads I pulled them from said...)

1) No vinyl roof, big window
2) Full vinyl roof, big window
3) Half vinyl roof,​​​​​​​ smaller window
4) Half vinyl roof, big window
5) Full​​​​​​​ vinyl roof,​​​​​​​ smaller window

Look forward to replies

Old February 1st, 2024, 05:34 AM
Past Administrator

I never even noticed that before but I bet they were all option codes that could be ordered, sure someone will reference it soon.
Old February 1st, 2024, 05:56 AM

I believe the dark carmine Royale Coupe has an aftermarket vinyl top. I owned both '78 and '79 coupes, and both had the had the landau half top. The same design as the dark carmine holiday coupe. There was an option for the full vinyl top like the pictured brown coupe with the 98 front end.