74 Old inside firewall black matting???

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2015, 05:39 PM

74 Old inside firewall black matting???

When I did my heater core and had a hose leak back into the core case the black matting on the firewall that the heater core case mounts against got soaked and that fluid is really not drying out of that rubber backed matting. Can you find that stuff and just cut out the pc behind the heater core box and out in a new DRY one. I hope this summer the heat dries it but thus far it is still wet and when I run the heat it smells a little.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 06:28 PM
Smash

Are you talking about that caulk rope putty stuff because yes that is available. Just bought a roll from motorcitymusclecars #INL10459 it was $8 plus $2.50 to ship. Worked great. If that's not what you meant ? I don't know anything ?
Old February 3rd, 2015, 06:48 PM

it is not rope it is a matting like the stuff under the carpet in old cars. One side is a black tar like look with matting attached/glued to the other side. It is about 2 feet or so wide and sits behind the heater core case on the inside of car firewall. Min eis soaked with rad fluid and thus far this winter driving time to time with the heat it is just not drying out so I get the small tinge of rad smell. I know the core is not leaking, it is new, I never get the leaking core fog in the car or on the window and my rad fluid never goes down.
Maybe this summer it will dry up.
Old February 3rd, 2015, 08:15 PM
Smash

I have the same car took my whole heater core out only thing I found was a birds nest no matting. I believe it was used to keep the heater fan motor from making to much noise thru the ducts. Maybe a hair dryer and some Frebrese will get it done.
Old February 4th, 2015, 03:17 AM

He's talking about the pad that is behind the heater case and goes from the left kick panel to the right one. Has jute backing with rubbery surface. Dark black.
Old February 4th, 2015, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
He's talking about the pad that is behind the heater case and goes from the left kick panel to the right one. Has jute backing with rubbery surface. Dark black.
Yeap. The portion of that stuff that sits on the inner firewall, in my case the portion that the heater core box bolts too is soaked with rad fluid, taking FOREVER to dry out.