1966 Delta 88: Should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2011, 09:02 PM

1966 Delta 88: Should I buy it?

I have a friend who is selling his 1966 Delta 88. I can get if for $4750. he's got about $10000 into it.

When he bought it 4 years ago, he got it from the original owners family. It has 64K miles on it and has documents dating back to 1969 to verify the mileage. He's only put about 2000 miles on it since.

It was undercoated from factory in 1966 and the floors and frame are still minty!! The body was rust and dent free as well. The paint was faded as heck, so he had it repainted 2 years ago. I tried to convince him to leave the bottom chrome trim off, but he had it put back on. He did a color change from the light minty green to dark green. The paint was done right, doors and fenders came off. The only thing that wasn't painted was the fire wall.

Two years ago he had the top half of the engine rebuilt and added dual exhaust. It sounds great and really moves!!!!!

Last year he had all the rubber around the windows replaced and slightly tinted the windows.

The only thing he hasn't gotten to is the interior. The carpet, dash and headliner are in MINT shape. The door panels are pretty good, but the front split bench and rear seat needs to be recovered. He found period correct material to recover them, they just need to be done. The only thing that is missing is one of the rear interior dome lights is missing the white plastic cover.

All the power windows work flawlessly as well.

So if I was to buy it, here's what I'd like to do:
- get the seats recovered
- rim and tire combo
- lower it just a bit for a more aggressive look
- repaint the engine
- paint the firewall
- add a 4 barrel carb

Whats weird is before he had it painted, he had it listed at $6500, and had lots of calls and a few tire kickers, and almost had a buyer. Then after the paint job, he had it listed for $9000, with no calls. Last fall he had it listed all the way down to $5000, with still no calls. I told him it looks like grandpa's car and if he was to spend anouther $1500 on a sweet rim/tire package he'd sell it easily for $7000 to $8000 to some kid.

He's taking it out of storage this week and is going to list it again. Not sure for what, but he's told me I can have it for $4750. The only reason he's selling it is because he wants a 67-72 Chevy truck

So is this a good deal for $4750?

Let me know what you think?

07.jpg

06.jpg
08.jpg

09.jpg

010.jpg
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:12 PM

You've got the money!

harvwallbanger... First, let me welcome you to the Classic Oldsmobile forum. Please post an introduction in the Newbie Forum. Tell us a little about yourself so we can get to know you.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/newbie-forum/

It sure seams like you want that car! It looks very nice.
Just one or two things... It's a green car with a blue interior, would you change the interior color?
I thought the firewall on all Olds of this vintage were painted black. And... the first thing that I would do (besides drive it immediately) would be to install a 4 barrel intake and a rochester carb.
You should be able to obtain a correct plastic dome light cover from www.fusick.com
I also believe that you are correct assuming sporty rims, like Classic Cragar SS (my favorites) would add to the value of the car.
Don't spend too much more on this thing or you will never get your money out of it (just like me) like the current owner of your car.
BTW, I own a '67 Delta 88 Custom. The sexiest thing about these cars is the rear quarter panels (hips). A good angle is like your first picture.
And finally... Leave the chrome on please!

JMHO

Jaybird

Last edited by Jaybird; May 12th, 2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:45 PM

Thanks for your insight and link.

As for the interior, it didn't really show up to well in the picture. It's not a blue, but a lighter green color.

I wouldn't plan on spending to much on it because the current owner has done a lot already. His loss is my reward!...and it's something I'd plan on keeping for a while.
I used to have an 87 S10, lowered with custom body work and a 350 in it. Then I got married and had kids....so bye bye S10. Haha. My kids are a bit older, but still young, but gone are the baby seats, so this car is something I can take the whole family and go sunday cruising in. A lot of the work I can do myself, except for the upholstery, plus I got a lot of car friend guys from my S10 days that are handy.
Old May 12th, 2011, 05:05 AM
"me somebody" site member

Nice looking car. It I were me, I wouldnt put Cragars on it. Olds did make a very sharp set of higher end hubcaps in 1966, here's what hey look like:

I've also attached a photo of what my similar '65 Jetstar I looked like with Cragars (sorry, long gone, as I said I didn't like he look and later put in a set of steelies and dogdish style caps).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Image-D188BC948B6F11DA.jpg (96.3 KB, 48 views)
Old May 12th, 2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by harvwallbanger
So is this a good deal for $4750?
In my opinion, definitely. The Old Cars Price Guide shows a value for a 1966 Delta 88 2-door hardtop in #4 condition (runs and drives but needs total restoration) at $3,400. In #3 condition ("car show" condition but not showroom condition), the value shown is $7,650.

From your photos and description of what's been done to the car, I would say that it's WAY better than #4 condition but not quite #3 given the need for reupholstering. But based on those values, this looks to be easily a $6,000 to maybe $7,000 car, and $4,750 would certainly be below market. If you buy it at that price, you will certainly not have overpaid for it if that's your concern.
Old May 12th, 2011, 07:15 AM

As for wheels you could go crazy and try and find a set of rare 64-65 custom deluxe factory wheels and bolt on covers. I have yet to put them on my 66 Delta but they looked quite nice on my 66 Sfire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mvc-052fdone1.jpg (54.6 KB, 43 views)