1965 Starfire quarter panel interchange

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2010, 09:53 AM

1965 Starfire quarter panel interchange

I searched but was unable to find and answer so I figured I would ask and see if someone would know for certain.

I have a '65 Starfire convertible that was an older resto that I am wanting to paint again, but at some point in the past the passenger rear quarter was replaced poorly. Probably as a result of a accident. It was cut up pretty bad and has a heavy layer of filler so I was just looking to replace it, and the badly repaired inner wheel well.

Anyway, I have found a '66 88 convertible for parts and was wondering if the panels are the same. I believe the 65 and 66 are pretty much the same car, except for front sheetmetal and rear bumper and bolt on fender extensions, but I am not 100% sure.

Also, if this panel won't work, what would be involved in making a hard top quarter fit, if possible?

Thanks

Edit: Dang, just noticed I posted in the wrong forum, please move.
Old October 5th, 2010, 11:00 AM

The quarter will work but is different where it wraps around for extentions and tailights so you would have to stop there just as it wraps around. Of course this quarter wont have the exhaust outlets.
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:29 AM
"me somebody" site member

This quarter panel has been for sale for a while; its not exactly cheap but considering that its probably exactly what you need, and how rare it is, thought you might be interested regardless. Maybe you could even negotiate the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/65-66...Q5fAccessories
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:07 AM

This quarter panel has been for sale for a while; its not exactly cheap but considering that its probably exactly what you need, and how rare it is, thought you might be interested regardless. Maybe you could even negotiate the price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/65-66...Q5fAccessories

Well that just might be the solution to my problem. I'm going to have to contact the seller and see if we can work a deal. The only issue may be shipping it, I am in Alberta, Canada so it may be pricy. But it sure looks like a 65 convert quarter panel! Thanks for the find!

I am still going to look at this 66 as it is close by and may also work for me, I will let you know what I find out.
Old October 14th, 2010, 09:09 PM

Where abouts in Alberta are you sir? I'd like to see whatever parts you have left of the 66 once your finished with your resto. Thanks.
Old December 8th, 2010, 06:00 AM

1965 Starfire Rear Quarter Panels
The closest body is the 1965 Jetstar-1 and they have different taillights etc. (same as 88) I'd stick with 1965 Starfire only. 1966 had rounder body.
From Olds Parts Book: 1965 Convert Group# 12.940 RH Part# 4467890 & LH Part# 4467891

There are several Auto Body Recyclers in Arizona & Texas that have good, rust free Body Parts. Also try Hemmings Motor News for many listings. Why cut Exhaust Hole etc when you can find a '65 with it? Less work-Better fit.
Here's some:
http://www.dvap.com/
http://www.aara.com/

Last edited by OLDZGUY; December 8th, 2010 at 07:49 AM. Reason: more info
Old December 8th, 2010, 07:23 AM
"me somebody" site member

Being that the car is a convertible, there shouldn't be any fitment issues between the '65 Starfire and ANY '65 88 series convertible panel (of course there was no Jetstar I convertible); only difference might be in holes for emblems and moldings (easy enough to drill or fill as needed). Hole for the exhaust exit on the Starfire would be easy enough to cut if using an 88 series panel. I think that Ebay piece I linked to above is still available, probably the ideal piece, barring perhaps the cost to ship.
Old December 13th, 2010, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. I'll let you know how it all works out.