Olds 9.3 rear end

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2013, 06:31 AM

Olds 9.3 rear end

I have an Olds 9.3 rear end that I pulled out of my '67 Camaro recently and I am trying to find out a little more about it and how much it is worth. I know that it is set up for racing.. It has been shortened, has 5.14 gears, a spool and Strange axles.

It is date coded J237 which, from what I read (since they omit the I in the alphabet when date coding), means September 23, 1957. The other code is 522496 which I think means first generation?

It sat for 30 years in my Camaro but it is not locked up or anything. Anyone have an idea of what it is worth?

Pictures below

Olds93rearend2_zps843c433f.jpg

Olds93rearend_zps43a0a792.jpg

Your input is appreciated!
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:17 AM

Those are getting harder and harder to find. I believe they made those from 57 to 62(?), with posi units available starting in 58. Unbelievably strong. Drum to drum, no problems with them, I'd guess $1200-1500 for a starting point, although I'm no expert.

There is a metal shop that is making parts for these now, http://www.fabcraftmetalworks.com/ that are worth a look.
Old March 5th, 2013, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Erinyes
There is a metal shop that is making parts for these now, http://www.fabcraftmetalworks.com/ that are worth a look.
x2 on Fabcraft
Old March 6th, 2013, 10:45 AM

Today they are mostly used in restorations. Neither the pumpkin nor the gears are the strongest by today's standards, and pro gears (9310 nickel steel) are not available. Since yours is shortened, the value for 57-64 restorations is limited.
Old March 7th, 2013, 08:30 PM

9.3 ultimate differential

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Today they are mostly used in restorations. Neither the pumpkin nor the gears are the strongest by today's standards, and pro gears (9310 nickel steel) are not available. Since yours is shortened, the value for 57-64 restorations is limited.
WOW this is WAY OFF. (NOT trying to be a jerk here but...) These rears are one of the, IF NOT the strongest rear ever produced in a CAR. THESE were used in TOP FUEL slingshot Dragsters STOCK form. AND THEY HELD UP WITH Stock spicer POSI UNITS....lol.

That quote should be for the 9" Ford NOT the 9.3 Gasser Pig head. Mickey Thomson cast his own 9.3 Pontiac -Olds/ 9.3 gasser third members which are Highly sought after.

PRO GEARS are softer compound mix compared to street gears to handle the extreme aggressive slam that happens in drag race off line hits from violent launches. PRO gears should not be used on the street as they do not have the longevity to drive everyday duty.

Compare it to a soft compound grippe tire drag radial. Which we know do not last when driving normally on the street. Unlike a standard compound tire all season radial 40-50 thousand mile tire.

ON to what it is worth.

Aftermarket parts are expensive for this rear NOW. Back in the day there were parts and gears out the wazoo. Now gear sets are 400-500 dollars, posi units are 500.00-1000.00. Open cases range from 50.00-300.00 for an open differential with stock gears and ratios steeper the ratio the more you will get for the pig head third member. Full spool pig will depend again on the person buying spline count and need of the buyer at hand.

these third member 9.3 were in 29 and 31 spline stock form. 31 being MUCH more liquidate-able.

Now being a camaro rear maybe a less wanted set-up than if you were selling a 12 bolt chevy that was stock in that camaro. So it may be a bit more difficult to unload unless you have a older guy that KNOWS what your selling and likes the nostalgic factor and COOL factor that goes with this rear. RICH guys run these rears.

IF you removed the Camaro perches you could sell it as a 55-57 Chevy rear which would give you a WAY better chance of a large income sale as this was a real Chevy upgrade for racing back in the day. and the camaro width was the same as the 55-57 Chevy rear. 60"

ALL the guys that cherish these rears are getting old enough that they are now DEAD...lol. So newer generations are uneducated to this rear. darn shame but times change. CAR back in the day were VERY HEAVY so you needed BIG MONSTER rears to get this job done and survive. When Muscle cars were created they were lighter and required less metal to do the same job.

Hope some of this info has helped you sell the rear . Best to just put it up on a craigslist and get a feel for the interest. If you are selling it as is. you will have to take a AS is price which will be lower. If you disassemble and give all the technical info to this rear and show the gear condition spline count with pictures you will greatly increase the % of a higher selling price.

Good luck and I wish i was there i would make an offer...shipping etc would probably kill the deal ...lol.

Jim
JD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3848.JPG (57.5 KB, 73 views)
IMG_3840.JPG (62.5 KB, 75 views)
IMG_3844.JPG (52.0 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by monzaz; March 7th, 2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old October 1st, 2014, 08:29 AM

You have a pm.
Old October 5th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by limegreen71w30
You have a pm.
If you are talking to the OP, he has exactly one post on this site from March of 2013 and hasn't been heard from since.