1967 olds 442 rear axle bearing leak ??

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2019, 02:17 PM

1967 olds 442 rear axle bearing leak ??

Hi, well finally got the 3.91 put in the 67 442 car, everything went pretty good until i looked underneath the pass rear side, gear oil leaking out down to the floor behind the backing plate, ill just tell all that the rear end just came out of the shop, i put new bearings and collars on the axles cuz i wanted everything to be new, i bought the bearings and collars from super cars unlimited, i have this stuff called Permatex Automatic Transmisson RTV Gasket Maker and Sealant 81180
i have to get in there and fix this. any other suggestions or permatex items i could use, thanks all john..
Old July 22nd, 2019, 02:41 PM

Hi,

Did you replace the axles?
As from my understanding stock axles are soft and if they spin a bearing it will eventually wear out a replacement, which would cause a leak.

I had a 65 that the collar slipped off and caused me to burn up my posi as it acted like a slipping clutch.

Regards,
Old July 22nd, 2019, 06:11 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by john mann
any other suggestions or permatex items i could use, thanks all john..
The axle seal is inboard of the bearing. Permatex isn't going to fix anything. You need to pull the axle shaft and figure out why a (presumably) brand new seal went bad. Check the seal and check the surface on the axle shaft where the seal rides.
Old July 23rd, 2019, 07:06 AM

Seal

I give NEW seals with my RW507CR bearings..... I bet you did not even know there is a seal that gets pressed into the housing tube end. PULL that axle and look inside the axle tube... stick your finger in there and feel for the seal lip doughnut hole.

Old July 23rd, 2019, 03:52 PM

i am super embarrassed on this deal, oh boy, in my life i have only replaced 1 axle on a 442 that i owned years ago, the bearing went out, so i just went to the junk yard found a rear end pulled out the axle slammed it in, problem fixed, i went out last night fired it up jacked it up pulled the brakes off got the 4 nuts spun off pulled the axle took a peek in there and put my dunce cap on, OMG there was no seal in there !! like i said pretty embarrassed but will tell the olds gang, ive always believe telling the truth no matter how bad its going to hurt is the best way !! so i called Greg at super cars hopefully tomorrow the seals will arrive so i can put them in this weekend, i will say this also all my years of doing u joints, the rear only i never new that you had to put those 2 clips on the inside and then put in in the rear yolk, when i took my maiden voyage with it i thought my fillings in my teeth were going to come out the olds had a serious vibration in it until my stepbrother told me to get those in there so i did, vibration gone, thank god, just one more thing going from the 331 cogs to 12 bolt 391 for the one time i punched it, the car really seemed to wake up, i hope we can make it down to rock falls so i can post what it did from the last 3 years we've gone with the 331 in it, any way thanks you guys for weighing in on this whole leaking problem !! Jmos4, joe padavana, fun71, and monzaz. john !!!!!

Last edited by john mann; July 24th, 2019 at 02:32 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2019, 06:31 PM

:)

Well we all have our days.
Least you got it figured out.
8594s is the seal Part number.

Jim
Old July 23rd, 2019, 09:35 PM

Thanks for posting up the reason for the leak. You may very well save someone else from going through the same pain. I always say you learn best from making mistakes (and I have learned a LOT over the years ).
Old July 24th, 2019, 02:35 AM

Ken, that makes it not so bad then, i never looked at it that way, so yes hopefully maybe somebody else can see this post and it will save them a big headache, thanks for you reply fun71 john !!