Question about new belts

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2008, 06:42 PM

Question about new belts

Putting new belts on my 72 Cutlass / 350 and they don't seem to fit exactly right although AutoZone swears they are the right belt. The width of the belt seems to be off a little. They don't sit flush with the edges of the pulley like the old belts did. They are raised above the lip of the pulley about 1/8 inch.

Will they wear in and seat themselves after a while or should they be an exact fit from the start? AFter looking at them and comparing to the old belts, the actual outside width measures the same but the inner rubber part of the belt looks wider on the new belt which keeps it from sitting down in the pulley. Sorry if this is confusing as heck but my mind shut off a few beers back.

Do I need a new belt or a new mechanic?
Old July 3rd, 2008, 06:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by scott_442
Putting new belts on my 72 Cutlass / 350 and they don't seem to fit exactly right although AutoZone swears they are the right belt. The width of the belt seems to be off a little. They don't sit flush with the edges of the pulley like the old belts did. They are raised above the lip of the pulley about 1/8 inch.

Will they wear in and seat themselves after a while or should they be an exact fit from the start? AFter looking at them and comparing to the old belts, the actual outside width measures the same but the inner rubber part of the belt looks wider on the new belt which keeps it from sitting down in the pulley. Sorry if this is confusing as heck but my mind shut off a few beers back.

Sounds like the "V" angle of the new belt doesn't match the pulley. Keep in mind that AutoZone (and others) try to minimize their inventory by making one part fit as many cars as possible. I suspect that's what's happened here. You have a belt that's "good enough", but not correct. The number of 1972 automobiles on the road is so small that stores like AutoZone likely won't stock parts for them unless there is a newer application also.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 07:30 AM

Like Joe said, the mfgr wants a one-size-fits-most part...

On my 86 the A/C belt was a problem. The geometry of off-brand belts was off so that the continual light squeaking became annoying. The only fix was to get a costly GM part.

I guess the OSFM belts are okay if: they do not squeal under accessory load and you do not have to tighten them excessively to keep them from squealing under accessory load.

Has anyone found NON_COGGED belts for their '72? All the chain stores here sell cogged belts. I found they stretch too soon, especially on the A/C compressor. On the way home from North Carolina it stretched to the point it came off and got shredded in fan and other pulleys...
That was a wakeup call for sure during a WOT freeway entrance...
Old July 3rd, 2008, 10:01 AM

This may seem like along way around to get what you want, but in order to find the correct belts for my 1970 455. I went to the Gates belt site on the net and found the correct belt and then ordered two sets from Rock auto on the net, even with shipping they beat the local Napa store who could not get me the correct belts anyway
Old July 4th, 2008, 12:32 AM

Napa is a rip off.

Dealing with that problem now. The Napa belt is gladed too much sqeaks on start-up and when cold
Old July 4th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Past Administrator

citcapp, that is an excellent idea. Redog, I think Napa is a little overpriced but I always found that they had a good stock of most items and there people seemed to be a little more knowledge-able than the usual auto store clerk. Of course the last observation can be wholly attributed the the local store itself and the next Napa down the road may have a bunch of barbie-boys behind the counter.
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

I've had mixed results with NAPA. As with any parts store, much of this is a function of the quality of the counter help. I've found that most parts counter workers really have no idea what obscure parts they can actually order. As for pricing, my local NAPA is all over the map. I've had instances where they were twice the price of the local Advance Auto and other instances where they were cheaper. The one problem I have with NAPA is that they usually push their house brand and are reluctant to order other brands for you. Advance either stocks or can readily get Delco, Bendix, TRW, etc.
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:15 AM

I have to NAPA's close to me, one has quality counter people that know how to look up the little details. The other store can only look up the year of a car and supply basic parts and information they can't tell the difference between a car with auto & air or one with stick and power brakes. If you really want to throw them for a loop tell them its a 57 olds with 455 and let them try to look it up in there books, boy do they get confused.
Old July 5th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Senior Moment Member

The NAPA near my house has good people working for them. I use them exclusively. I know the owner too. That helps. They just put an Autozone in down the street. I will not set a foot in there out of loyalty.
Old July 5th, 2008, 11:42 AM

Everytime i go to autozone, i come out pissed off. i try to avoid them. i be tring to get parts for 69 cutlass.
Old July 5th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

I've had reasonably good luck with the local Advance Auto, however every so often...

I went in recently and none of the knowledgeable help was behind the counter. I needed an air cleaner gasket - the normal 5 1/4" circular gasket used on every 4 bbl carb since the early 1960s. You would have thought I was trying to buy a part for the space shuttle. It took three different people telling me that they didn't have it and lots of shouting before they found one in the store.
Old July 5th, 2008, 02:55 PM

Parts suppliers

Just to add alittle something, I went to the local Advance Auto to get a thermostat housing gasket for my 1972 Supreme and the joker behind the computor told me it was a dealer only item so I went to the NAPA store and bought 2 of them.
Doug.
Old July 5th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Senior Moment Member

I'm guessing NAPA is usually owned by an individual not a corporation. I love walking in to my local NAPA and Lee behind the counter wise cracking about something or other.
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:47 PM

Quality counter men/women are an indangered species in any business, the good ones are going the way of the dodo bird. Most places I shop anymore if it isn't a factory item tied to something made in the last two years nobody can find it. I apreciate the good ones that are still around in the local NAPA and hardware stores.
Old July 5th, 2008, 07:03 PM
442=A perfect 10

Originally Posted by scott_442

Probably need to get the correct belt. What they are selling you ( like others here have stated) are a generic fits-all belt. You would probably be better off using a ladies nylon stocking. Seriously, take the time to locate the correct belts, either on the web or at a NAPA store. The belt you were sold is not correct.

Regards,

Fred
Old July 5th, 2008, 09:12 PM

Citcapp, I will explore the Gates site when I redo the A/C next year. I want a real belt on it.

Redog, It is ironic that you said Napa's belts were overpriced and did not work well. The one that failed in my 72 was a brand new one from Napa! I took it in to see if they would replace it (with the previous owner's receipt) and they refused. They would only sell me another one for 13. Otterzone had the same type crappy cogged belt for 5 so I got it for temporary use. No more cogged belts for me.