Newbie here

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2006, 10:40 AM

Talking Newbie here

Hi All,
I've purchased a 1970 Cutlass Supreme convertible (originally from CA, found here in Ohio) that I'm enjoying a lot. The body is very nice (only rust is the inside edges of rear wheel wells and bottom of pass front fender and some pinholing in trunk) and the top is ok (leaky seals and one small rip) for now but will be replaced after paint.
Options/equipment are - 350/4brl, disk brakes, AC, auto (dammmit, love my 4 spds), tilt and power windows. Blue (dark blue, name unknown at this point) paint, blue interior/bench seat and white top.
The car was extremely well cared for (previous owner had it for 17 years but now has 4 children under 10 - reality struck him and he passed the car on to me) and really unmolested (original carb and all). She had NO brakes when I got her so new rotors, drums, calipers, wheel cylinders, master cylinder etc was the first task. Next came roller rockers (had one broken girdle (?) on one of the original rockers that was I believe the source of my intermittent valve train noise (no noise now), timing chain and water pump.
Next was a new alternator, VR and battery when she let me know she didn't have enough juice during one of my drives.
Next? What a list! New springs and bushings for the suspension is my next project and after that it'll be one thing at a time.
I have a 69 Mach 1 (original 390/4spd/disk brake/AC/fold down seat/tach/Black Jade (dark green) and black interior car) that I added factory intermittent wipers, tilt wheel, AM/FM, rear fin, front spoiler and louvers, and some courtesy lights to. She took me 7 years to do a complete (and I do mean complete - rotisserie and not a bolt was left on the car) restoration. If I could have just worked on her instead of life getting in the way! Been driving her for about four years now and put about 6000 miles on so far.
Guess you've probibly had enough reading so I'll sign off now and come back later with questions and help when I can.
Thanks,
Dave
Old June 22nd, 2006, 11:08 AM
Past Administrator

Dave, welcome to the site, sounds like you found a very nice car!