new member to buy or not?

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2008, 04:47 AM

new member to buy or not?

Here I am. I have always been in love with the mid 80's Cutlass , just never had one. I have the chance to buy an 84 with 52k miles on it. The owner says it has a v-6. She doesn't know any more than that. The int looks mint and the body is in VERY nice shape. It's two tone brown. I am looking for a daily driver so I can park my 1 ton Dodge diesel and or my wife's v-8 Silverado.
My questions are ... Is it a good reliable car (for the year) and how is the gas mileage?
I think the price is right at $1200.

Thanks ,
Carl

Last edited by carlnh; November 8th, 2008 at 04:47 AM. Reason: forgot to sign name
Old November 8th, 2008, 05:03 AM

I dont know for sure what economy would be on something like that, but I would guess low twenties would be strong numbers. A small v8 would probably deliver better economy, set up right. The g body cars, as small as they are relative to their older siblings are still full framed "heavy" cars. That said they are solid dead nuts reliable and tough cars. If I found that car, and had the money, I would not hesitate to buy it. I don't know that I would use it as a daily driver though. A newer "wrong" wheel drive is still a well manered car that would deliver better performance from about all corners in stock trim, and be easier to see deteriorate from daily use. This is my personal opinion only, but I would jump all over that car, and put an olds 350, or better in it, and use it as a toy. That said, I'm guessing it has the 231 buick in it, which is the same engine that powered the grand national buicks. They are tough, reliable,long lived little motors that can be built to produce gobs of power, but in base trim are nothing to write home about. It sounds like a nice find
Old November 8th, 2008, 06:26 AM
same but different

These cars were reliable in their day. I have allways considered them good cars. I agree, the v6 model would be the 231 buick. Thats pretty low miles at 52K, hope its not 152K.

By your description, this sounds like a good car. In my neck of the woods, thats a very good buy at 1200 bucks.

Like any used car, I would look closely at all the items that concern safety. Tires,brakes, any front end component like the ball joints and tie rods. Now, under the hood, the age of the car might suggest the rubber components like hoses and belts are getting brittle. A good look at these things will tell the story.

Good Luck.
Old November 8th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

2 door or 4 door?
I agree that the 80's body style looked great on a 2 door. 4 doors kind of looked like a box.
Post some pics. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if it pans out to be in really good shape. I agree that you should check it out for safety issues. Ask the lady if you can have your mechanic check it out. Most cars this old should be safety checked as a matter of principle to make sure that it's road safe.
I had a 82 Cutlass (T top) 2 door. It was a very comfortable riding car and fun to drive.
Old November 8th, 2008, 09:35 AM

A friend of mine inherited his Grand moms Regal with a stock 331 Turbo & was pretty neat until the Turbo went down Then we transplanted a 350 OLDS with straight HEI Wish we still had the turbo parts for you Larry vintageozarks.com