Need help and advice...

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:32 AM

Unhappy Need help and advice...

Guys,
I am really in need of some advice..
I have a 1972 cutlass with a 455, I just had rebuilt. The engine is built to w30 specs. I have a rebuilt quadrajet on it. He supposedly built it to match my engine. I also installed a factory reman HEI distibutor.
My problem is that I have set the timing to approx. 16* initial. It seems to idle properly and have good acceleration while in park/neutral.
When I drive it, It will bog on initial acceleration, and also if I keep a steady throttle it seems like it is getting too much fuel. (Bogs)
I spoke to the carb rebuilder and he is wanting me to take the carb off and return it to him for checking. My concern is that I would like to hear any other things to look for. I wouldn't want to send him the carb, just to have him say there is nothing wrong. What should I be checking?
Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:43 AM

Whats your fuel pressure? Might want to check that too.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 07:59 AM
Past Administrator

Initial timing set with vacuum line to advance disconnected and plugged? Is it steady or does it fluctuate? Just wondering about the HEI distributor itself.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:43 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by FIJIBLUE72
Guys,
I am really in need of some advice..
I have a 1972 cutlass with a 455, I just had rebuilt. The engine is built to w30 specs. I have a rebuilt quadrajet on it. He supposedly built it to match my engine. I also installed a factory reman HEI distibutor.
My problem is that I have set the timing to approx. 16* initial. It seems to idle properly and have good acceleration while in park/neutral.
When I drive it, It will bog on initial acceleration, and also if I keep a steady throttle it seems like it is getting too much fuel. (Bogs)
I spoke to the carb rebuilder and he is wanting me to take the carb off and return it to him for checking. My concern is that I would like to hear any other things to look for. I wouldn't want to send him the carb, just to have him say there is nothing wrong. What should I be checking?
Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
I'm always skeptical of statements like "rebuilt to W-30 specs". What does that mean, exactly? W-30 motors varied greatly between 1970 and 1972 - which specs were used? Does this engine have the correct W-30 heads? The 328 degree cam? The correct Qjet (which did NOT use primary metering rods, ulike nearly all other Qjets)? The correct distributor advance curves?

The reality is that you need to find out exactly what you have. For example, most HEI units do not have the correct advance curve for earlier motors and must be recurved. Was that done here? Has the carb been properly adjusted, including accelerator pump shot (which is usually the cause of an acceleration bog)?

I'm not trying to bust you for this, but having correct info helps significantly with troubleshooting.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:10 AM

Wow!! You guys are awesome!! You are all correct. I don't know what w30 specs are used. The engine builder took care of all that. The disty was a rebuilt cardone unit. I know it has silver springs in it. I set the timing to 16* with the advance disconnected and plugged. I know I am very vague, I just don't know all the answers. I apologize, I'm just kinda lost.