Need Audio ALarm Module

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2022, 09:56 AM

Need Audio ALarm Module

have 88 olds cutlass supreme and doing 100% total original restoration... I need an audio alarm module. any suggestions,, thanks rj
Old February 22nd, 2022, 06:16 AM

I have an 87 442, and was able to repair mine. If yours still has the module, see if it emits a very muted tone with keys in, lights on, etc. as mine did. When I took mine apart, I found a thin metal disc about the size of a quarter that had a thin foam ring around the outer edge. The foam breaks down, and the disc contacts the magnet of the "speaker", muting the sound. I remember carefully cutting a ring using various thicknesses of paper to restore the correct spacing. May have ended up using a file folder, but this was a while ago. It helps having a wiring diagram so you can bench test till you get it right. If this something you want to try, let me know, and I'll see if I saved notes.
Old February 22nd, 2022, 06:58 AM

Thumbs up

yep,, thats what happened. I was getting no audio from anything, then all the sudden very weak audio and now back to ,,,,, its gone audio from all areas.....lights , keys, seatbelt, door and anything else,, gone,,,, so you bet i will take any more help,, thanks rj
Old February 22nd, 2022, 12:19 PM

hey maxi426,,,, is that module on the left side of the steering column? and i just need to remove the small 2 screw panel that wraps around the steer wheel column?,, thanksrj
Old February 22nd, 2022, 10:18 PM

I had a 87 442 years ago. I remember looking thru the service manual and wondering what the 2 pin connector was coming out of the chime module, purple and I don’t remember the other color. The purple wire goes to the turn signal flasher, the other wire goes to the speed sensor (I think) basically if the car travels a half mile or so with the turn signal on, the chime sounded to warn the driver.

To the best of my knowledge, the G body cars are the only ones to use that chime module. I would have thought the “old man driving for miles with the turn signal on” warning would have been more suited in the geezer cars like the Cadillac, and not in the performance/family car G body line.

if you don’t care about the turn signal warning, the other chime modules will plug in and work. The pinout is the same. The later cars used a chime module that don’t have the problem speaker that crumbles with age. Some do have different sounding tones. I have a box of modules at home, I gathered a bunch at the salvage yards when I added the chime module to my Olds. They are pretty common.
Old February 23rd, 2022, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Redjetty
hey maxi426,,,, is that module on the left side of the steering column? and i just need to remove the small 2 screw panel that wraps around the steer wheel column?,, thanksrj
Yes, it's under that cover. It's kind of a pup to get out because there are tangs that it snaps onto that are difficult to release. I found I just had to get a little rough with it to get it out of there. That is why I really wanted to be able to bench test it after repaired instead of taking it in and out of the car more than once.
Old February 23rd, 2022, 10:01 PM

Here is a wiring diagram I found.

Get some 1/4 female quick disconnects. Start with the orange (battery power) and ground. Keep in mind, there are 2 black wires. If you apply power to the green wire (dash lamps) the chime should sound. Connect power to the pink wire (ignition) the headlight warning should stop. Disconnect the pink and green wires.

Put a test light on the yellow wire (seat belt warning light output) terminal, connect the pink wire to power, the light should come on. I think it stays on for 5 seconds?

Ground the other black wire terminal (seat belt switch) the chime should sound.

Disconnect everything but the battery power and ground. Ground the light green terminal (ignition switch key warning) the chime should sound. Connect the pink wire to power, the chime should stop.

Old February 28th, 2022, 02:43 PM

thanks all,,,,,,,,,,, still working getting it out,,yes the clips are a bite cause i can only access one of them,,, might just let it go,,,,
Old February 28th, 2022, 09:28 PM

I’m pretty sure there is only one locking tab on the chime module. It does take a little force to pull it from the socket.