My 69 (68) Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2008, 04:57 AM
69CuttyS

My 69 (68) Cutlass

Here are some pics of my Olds Cutlass. It's a 69 with a 68 front clip. A daily driver (if I want), it runs well, sounds good and looks great from 10 feet away. She's got all sorts of maladies including a rear driver's side sag (despite my new springs, darn it), persistent oil and tranny fluid leaks, bearing noise (I think) on the rear driver's side, and some front end issues. Also want to do a disc brake conversion. I also have some cosmetic things to do: new mirrors (3), stereo/radio (really wrestling with that one), steering wheel, front seat covers, door vinyl, weather stripping, new rag top and seals, some body work and repainting. And other stuff too. Lots of things for me to think about, do, and mostly, spend money on. Alas. Am I in over my head? Maybe. Am I sorry? No!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cutlass_001a.jpg (32.7 KB, 44 views)
cutlass_002a.jpg (26.8 KB, 37 views)
cutlass_003a.jpg (27.9 KB, 34 views)
cutlass_004a.jpg (48.6 KB, 36 views)
Old August 22nd, 2008, 05:17 AM
Past Administrator

Originally Posted by KeithA0000
Maybe. Am I sorry? No!
Was that a Canadian verbalism? like "eh"? If so, I would say NO! If not, I would agree with you, NO! You have a beautiful car worth all your plans. I still haven't driven my '46 project that I transplanted a 455 into last year. It just takes time to finish up all the little stuff. But will it be worth it the first time I fire up that big block, put the transmission in gear and roll down the street, lake pipes throbbing as the neighbors turn their heads and wonder "where did that come from?".
Old August 22nd, 2008, 01:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by KeithA0000
Here are some pics of my Olds Cutlass. It's a 69 with a 68 front clip. A daily driver (if I want), it runs well, sounds good and looks great from 10 feet away. She's got all sorts of maladies ......... Lots of things for me to think about, do, and mostly, spend money on. Alas. Am I in over my head? Maybe. Am I sorry? No!
Welcome to the world of Oldsmobile ownership. You're in the same boat as all of us. Just like Oldsguy says, it takes time to get what you want. Don't worry about that. Have an end goal in mind and keep working toward it. Enjoy driving your car too. Kind of threw me for a loop when I was looking at your pics until I went back and read that it was a 68/69 mix. Personally I love the look of the 69 over the 68, but that's just me.

When you're done, that car will look killer with a coat of fresh black and chrome accents.

What do you have in it? Is it the 350 or 400?

Ok, 1 more thing since both of us live up here in Canada. Let's do this in Stereo for Dan, who seems to appreciate Canadian colloquialisms. Ready.... Good day hosers, pass the beer eh? From Bob and Doug McKenzie. (Heck, I just though of something. You might be too young to remember that bit of Canadiana. Check out "The Great White North" on Saturday Night Live from the 70's.)
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:14 PM
Registered

My buddy in North Bay told me the the reason for the "eh" is all of you learn to spell "Canada" right away in school and it sticks, C-eh-N-eh-D-eh.. I said "pop" when I was in the Great White North trying to get a Pepsi once and my buddy laughed at me along with the guy at the counter and called me a stupid yank, told me it's soda, "pop" is your old man. Why vinegar on everything? vinegar and barbecue flavored chips are good with a cold 50 though... I have to go to the store, later.

Allan
Old August 22nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by amh555
My buddy in North Bay told me the the reason for the "eh" is all of you learn to spell "Canada" right away in school and it sticks, C-eh-N-eh-D-eh..
Ha (eh) ha (eh) ha (eh).... yup, everyone knows about the eh thing.

Originally Posted by amh555
I said "pop" when I was in the Great White North trying to get a Pepsi once and my buddy laughed at me along with the guy at the counter and called me a stupid yank, told me it's soda, "pop" is your old man. Why vinegar on everything? vinegar and barbecue flavored chips are good with a cold 50 though... I have to go to the store, later.
Allan
??? What the??? We all say pop. That's a new one on me. Thought it was just in America you call it soda

Sorry to hear you got dumped on. And they have no business calling you a stupid yank. If it wasn't for America we'd probably all be speaking German or Japanese and walking around in kimonos and jack boots. Shouldn't ever happen no matter where you live or where you visit. Next time you're up here drop by anytime. You're always welcome and can have your choice of pop, cool stuff, and vinegar, barbecue, Jalepeno or whatever you want. Not all of us up here have popsicle sticks stuck up our butts. Next time anyone laughs about pop or stuff like that, tell them it's the new and cool thing to say. Then laugh back at them.

So I'm guessing you bought pepsi and vinegar or bbq chips at the store.....
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:15 PM
69CuttyS

I drink pop too. Way old enough for Bob and Doug; and Big Jim McBob too!
My Cutlass has a 350 4bbl and a turbo 350. After 12+years without a v8, a 350 4bbl is plenty to make me all gitty.
And if it weren't for our American pals to the south, we'd all be driving Japanese cars. Oh; wait a minute, everyone on my street does except me.
- Olds Cutlass
- GMC Jimmy 4.3L 4x4 2-door 2000
- Dodge Caravan (wife's)
- no imports!
Cheers,
Old August 22nd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Senior Moment Member

Nice ride. Olds seems to be the "Dare to be different". Not too many seen. Now Chebbies.....all over like pigeon crap (I own one too).
Old August 24th, 2008, 06:59 PM
69CuttyS

Originally Posted by Allan R
Personally I love the look of the 69 over the 68, but that's just me.
I know what you mean- generally I like the 4 headlight look of many of the 68-72 GM a-bodies. But the 68 Olds look has started to look 'uniquely oldsmobile' to me. Maybe I'll do it up proper down the line.