I got a crazy offer on my car...

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2009, 04:08 PM

I got a crazy offer on my car...

The car was not for sale, but I was fishing for trades for a convertible. A guy came to look, and gave me a cash offer that suprised me, in light of the current economy, etc.

I usually hate to see posts like this, but I am at a loss. Based on the pictures seen here:

http://www.HurtsOlds.com

What price range would you put on my car?

Note that I did NOT accept the offer. I told him I would consider it, though. The offer was much higher than I expected. Either I am out of touch with values right now, or this guy is over spending. I just need to figure out which...
Old June 9th, 2009, 04:34 PM
car guy

What would you do with the money? Turn around and buy another? Would you be in better shape or worse shape?

I know if I got enough offered for my car I might have to let it go. I badly need to spend some $$ on the house and that could put a good chunk in it.

Just depends on the situation as to whether to sale or not. Looks like a clean car.
Old June 9th, 2009, 05:02 PM

i sold a 68 cutlass S 2 years ago with 14,000 miles on it. that's right 14,000 miles. it sat outside some of it's life but was still almost as nice as yours. mine had bench seats and did not have A/C. i listed it for $8000 and never got a call. i relisted it for $6000 and sold it to the 105th caller for $5000. i wish i had it now because my wife wants me to build her a 68 but with A/C. i have no idea if this helps and don't know if todays market is the same as it was 2 years ago. from your pictures mine was close to the same condition.
Old June 9th, 2009, 06:19 PM

You never know what may motivate people, so the "book" or "market" value could be meaningless. Someone may have an emotional attachment to a car that makes the price irrelevant. Or they have more money than they know what to do with. Yes, even in today's economy, they're out there.

What matters most is what it's worth to YOU. If you can live without it at the price the buyer is offering, take it. If you think you'll regret it (or you have an emotional attachment to the car), pass it up. Some things money just can't buy.
Old June 9th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by gearheads78
What would you do with the money? Turn around and buy another? Would you be in better shape or worse shape?

I know if I got enough offered for my car I might have to let it go. I badly need to spend some $$ on the house and that could put a good chunk in it.

Just depends on the situation as to whether to sale or not. Looks like a clean car.
Richard!
Wow, it turned out nice. Only problem is ...... it's not me driving LOL