Hello-New to group

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2006, 06:37 PM

Cool Hello-New to group

Hello everyone, this is a cool sight. My name is Mel and I live in Texas. I just bought a 69 Olds Cutlass S Conv. It's a dream come true. I need help with parts if anyone can help. On the steering column is a area called a bowl. On the bowl is a area that is cut out for an attachment of a clip. the clip has a hook attached to it that hold a hard wire that connects to a lever for the drive indicator. I am missing the clip and wire. can anyone please help it would be greatly appriciated. I have looked all over the net and made many phone calls to no avail. Thanks and I hope I can help anyone elese out there. Mel
Old April 19th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Hiya,Mel, and welcome to the world of Olds! Where in Texas? I've got some contacts here and there.

C.J.
Old April 20th, 2006, 04:45 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to the site Mel, I hope you can get your answer and in the future perhaps contribute to the solution of other's problems as well . About the parts, it seems to me that those would be standard GM, no specific to Oldsmobile, parts and therefore you could get them from any similar A body car from the late sixties or early seventies. I alos think about Year One, they specialize in the muscle cars of that era and may be able to provide the parts you need. If you aren't the salvage yard type I would recommend you check with them. And good luck on your search. It must be torture not being able to drive your car
Old April 20th, 2006, 05:39 AM

thanks y'all

thanks for the replys, I have checked with year one with no luck but if it is a standard gm part then I wil check there. By the way I live in Montgomery Texas by Conroe. Thanks again and If I can help let me know!
Old April 20th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Mel,

Try these guys: www.texasgulfcoastoldsclub.org

I joined the Oldsmobile Club of America and the South Texas Oldsmobile Club a month after I bought my Cutlass and I've never regretted it. The Gulf Coast Club is a great bunch of folks, too. You'll find lots of fun, fellowship, cruises, shows, parts, and tech support.

I'm sure you can find someone there to help you.

C.J.
Old April 20th, 2006, 02:17 PM

tired of waiting

hello everyone, well I woke this morning and said to myself "why not make the part myself". So being the former Marine that I am I went to the tool and screw drawer and started searching. I found a clip that I bent out and made a pilot hole with my drill. It took some time but I got the drive position into place and Holy****I fixed it. Now I just have to figure out my brake lights. Well I have to go Bar-B-Que for the family and show to my wife that I am usefull. Take care everyone and I'll talk to Y'all later. OOHRAHH
Old April 20th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Good job! To keep up a classic car, ya gotta have those "McGuyver skills".

FWIW, I'm retired Air Force. My son-in-law went to the "dark side" and became a Marine.

C.J.
Old April 21st, 2006, 04:21 AM
Past Administrator

Small world here, I am a retired CPO from the Navy.........
Old April 21st, 2006, 03:37 PM

Thumbs up love my olds

Greetings All!

It is wonderful to find others who love their Olds as much as I do. I have owned many different ones over the years. I do auto repair & restoration. I am looking forward to sharing my experiences and hearing yours.
Old April 21st, 2006, 05:13 PM

Hey It's Friday

Thank God it's Friday. Not much new going on with the olds. I cannot believe the gas prices, it's making me wonder about my olds and when to drive it. Me and my wife decided to use it for the official Sunday car to cruise. A little about myself. I was brought up in a place called Grand Coulee Dam. It's in the eastern part of Washington State. Growing up my dad collected model A's and model T's. He also has 15 to 20 Volkswagons and old plymouths and an assortment of other old cars. I would say he has about 50 pre-70 era cars total. Growing up there we always had people coming from all over the world to see the dam and they would stop by and ask if my dad would sell any of his old cars. But of course the answer was always NO--get off my property!! Now that I am in my 30's I have asked my pops to sell me one of his old cars but he refuses. So I bought my own classic. I am so proud of myself. My dads cars are still there collecting dust. He says one day he will fix them up but I am afaid that his time here on earth is running out. So anyway I am not going to let that happen to me and my 4 kids. My oldest daughter will get the Cutlass conv. When she gets older and hopefully I will replace it with a Carrol Shelby Cobra. Anyway Thanks for reading and I hope everyone has a good weekend. Bye---Mel
Old April 24th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Past Administrator

Good info Mel, thanks for sharing. It is too bad about your Dad not wanting to share his cars. I won't say anything else out of respect for our elders. At any rate, sounds like you have a good idea about your cars and sharing your interest with your kids.