Exhaust debate for my Cutlass?

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:48 AM
Runner

Exhaust debate for my Cutlass?

I think I've narrowed down what exhaust system I want to get for my 70 SX. I'm looking for advice and of course a confirmation that it would fit. Both are 2.5"

Magnaflow American Classic
http://hottexhaust.com/detail.asp?product_id=15894
Price after coupon - $397 with free shipping

Flowmaster American Thunder
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flowm...Q5fAccessories
Price - Around $375 after shipping
Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

COOL! With the Qjet vs. Holley vs. AFB debate winding down, we can now fire one up about muffler choice.

Seriously, I'd stay away from Flowmasters. They are obnoxiously loud, drone badly at highway speeds, and STILL flow worse than Walker Dynomax turbos in every published test I've ever seen. I usually use the Dynomax. I suggest Pypes Exhaust for the 2.5" mandrel bent pipes. They sell kits without the mufflers so you can pick the ones you want. I've actually got a Magnaflow on my 62 and I'm going to remove it and put the Dynomax on .
Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:42 AM

I don't like the way Flowmasters sound on Olds. Magnaflow if I had to choose between the two. Honestly I like the sound of Walker turbos on a Olds. Did you consider Dynomax?

Last edited by 70 cutlass s; September 22nd, 2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:14 AM
Runner

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
I don't like the way Flowmasters sound on Olds. Magnaflow if I had to choose between the two. Honestly I like the sound of Walker turbos on a Olds. Did you consider Dynomax?
You would pick this over the magnaflow? (and again, this should fit my SX right?)
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain

Last edited by Joffroi; September 22nd, 2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Joffroi
You would pick this over the magnaflow? (and again, this should fit my SX right?)
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain
No, I would pick this set of pipes with the Dynomax mufflers:

http://pypesexhaust.com/sys-cutlass.html

Of course, the question is, what do you want, aluminized or stainless? Any mandrel-bent pipe set is fine, but Pypes makes down pipes for the Olds and 2.5" trumpets if you care about that.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:41 AM
Runner

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
No, I would pick this set of pipes with the Dynomax mufflers:

http://pypesexhaust.com/sys-cutlass.html

Of course, the question is, what do you want, aluminized or stainless? Any mandrel-bent pipe set is fine, but Pypes makes down pipes for the Olds and 2.5" trumpets if you care about that.
I'll be honest, I have no idea what I'm really looking for because I don't know sounds like what. Maybe you guys can help. I just want a really nice look with a really nice muscle car sound (hopefully less then $400). When I get the parts, I'll probably have a garage install it since I don't have a car lift.

I just need links to whatever I need to buy to make the complete set haha.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:48 AM

x3 on the flowmasters.

The dynomaxs sound real nice on an Olds. Magnaflows too.

Magnaflow (not mandrel, but nice) install:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkO9FXUQ8bM

Dynomax race bullets, I think:

http://www.youtube.com/user/dmt0671

I know, they're straight-through, but they sound sweet!
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:34 AM
One of None W-31

Walker Dynomax..best flow, best sound. To me, Flowmasters have that the rattling/phoney resonance sound.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:09 AM

X4 I've got a set of Flow masters on my drop top and HATE them.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:10 AM

I have the Walker (Dynomax) Super Turbos w/ 2.5" pipes and H pipe. The sound is just right. Initially, I thought it was too quiet, but that was because my old exhaust had so many holes and leaks in it I did not have a good example to base my new exhaust system on.

I like the sound, there is a little drone at 2000 rpm at around 50/55 miles per hour. But nothing that will make you go insane, plus I am rarely driving that slow.

Another plus was price. At the time I got my mufflers on sale for $27 a piece at RockAuto.

Good luck on your decision.

d1
Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:15 AM
Runner

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'm going to start going go ahead and get the Dynomax. A lot of you mentioned different parts and such, anyone know a link to where I can get the complete kit I need for 2.5" (since there are holes everywhere in my exhaust now).
I've got the 455 motor.
Old September 24th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Runner

So it looks like I'll be finishing up a website gig next week so I'll be able to pull the trigger on an exhaust system.

From your suggestions, I think I'm just going to get this? http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain

This should fit right? (not to mention sound awesome)

Thanks for all the help

Last edited by Joffroi; September 24th, 2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old September 24th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Man I wish they had stuff like that for my car.
Old September 24th, 2010, 08:59 AM

So it looks like I'll be finishing up a website gig next week so I'll be able to pull the trigger on an exhaust system.

From your suggestions, I think I'm just going to get this? http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain

This should fit right? (not to mention sound awesome)

Thanks for all the help

Have you talked to any local muffler shop to see how much they would make your exhaust for with Dynomax mufflers?

The Dynomax kit looks like it will require alot of welding. So the finished product won't have a clean look if that is what you want. Joe talked about using Pypes exhaust pipes and Dynomax mufflers. What I have heard they do have a very nice product.
Old September 27th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Runner

Have you talked to any local muffler shop to see how much they would make your exhaust for with Dynomax mufflers?
I have to replace my entire exhaust because there are holes everywhere.

The Dynomax kit looks like it will require alot of welding. So the finished product won't have a clean look if that is what you want. Joe talked about using Pypes exhaust pipes and Dynomax mufflers. What I have heard they do have a very nice product.
I'll call a Midas or related and see what they can do. I would like to just do a one stop shop for the system if I can, so hopefully if I lean still towards the dynomax, it'll be a good decision.
Old September 27th, 2010, 07:56 AM

I'm sorry, I meant have new exhaust pipes bent and use dynomax mufflers, not replace just the mufflers.
Old September 27th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Runner

I'm sorry, I meant have new exhaust pipes bent and use dynomax mufflers, not replace just the mufflers.
That also sounds like a lot of work, wouldn't that cost about the same to have pipes bent as appose to just getting the full kit
Old September 27th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Runner

Just called a Midas, for $100-$120 they could put together and install a kit (rough estimate)

I've just looked at more youtube videos then I want and still don't really know which exhaust I want. Anyone have youtube a their own 455 with an exhaust?
Old October 4th, 2010, 11:18 PM

I just installed a pypes system in my 70 Sx. It was pretty easy to install but I have a lift. But you should be able to install it on 4 jacks stands. It will just take a little longer. Plus they back thier product for as long as you own your car.
Old October 14th, 2010, 05:48 PM

I think I've narrowed down what exhaust system I want to get for my 70 SX. I'm looking for advice and of course a confirmation that it would fit. Both are 2.5"

Magnaflow American Classic
http://hottexhaust.com/detail.asp?product_id=15894
Price after coupon - $397 with free shipping

Flowmaster American Thunder
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flowm...Q5fAccessories
Price - Around $375 after shipping
For a few bucks more you could get a custom exhaust done at your local muffler shop.
I was just quoted $400-450 to do a complete dual system on my 65.
I've used those bits and pieces systems in the past and they can be a nightmare to keep straight and sealed, unless you weld.
Old November 5th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Ben

Originally Posted by jag1886
For a few bucks more you could get a custom exhaust done at your local muffler shop.
I was just quoted $400-450 to do a complete dual system on my 65.
I've used those bits and pieces systems in the past and they can be a nightmare to keep straight and sealed, unless you weld.

Depends on your area... Around here its amazing how fast a $400 quote for an exhaust system turns into $900 at a shop. And that is all crimp bent pipe not mandrel bent like the kits.

I really like the flowmaster PIPE ONLY kit. it fits really nice and the tailpipes tuck up really well.
I don't like their mufflers, but you can get the american thunder exhaust kit w/o mufflers for about $200.
Then buy your own mufflers (I also like the dynomax super turbo's)- Buy a case of beer- then put the car up on jackstands and put it all together.

Not hard, just takes time.

Unless you don't have headers. Then its a little more complicated to fab up something to connect to your manifold down pipes... but still not impossible.

The magnaflow kit comes with an X-pipe, and those can dramatically change the sound of your exhaust- and that sound may or may not be to your liking. Personally i prefer teh sound of straight pipes or straight w/ H crossover.

The claims of extra horsepower with the X systems are exagerated. At best they might shave a couple .010's off at the track. Thats not even enough to register on the butt-dyno for crusing around town- which means its purely up to sound preferance.

Last edited by RAMBOW; November 5th, 2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old November 5th, 2010, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by RAMBOW
Depends on your area... Around here its amazing how fast a $400 quote for an exhaust system turns into $900 at a shop. And that is all crimp bent pipe not mandrel bent like the kits.

I really like the flowmaster PIPE ONLY kit. it fits really nice and the tailpipes tuck up really well.
I don't like their mufflers, but you can get the american thunder exhaust kit w/o mufflers for about $200.
Then buy your own mufflers (I also like the dynomax super turbo's)- Buy a case of beer- then put the car up on jackstands and put it all together.

Not hard, just takes time.

Unless you don't have headers. Then its a little more complicated to fab up something to connect to your manifold down pipes... but still not impossible.

The magnaflow kit comes with an X-pipe, and those can dramatically change the sound of your exhaust- and that sound may or may not be to your liking. Personally i prefer teh sound of straight pipes or straight w/ H crossover.

The claims of extra horsepower with the X systems are exagerated. At best they might shave a couple .010's off at the track. Thats not even enough to register on the butt-dyno for crusing around town- which means its purely up to sound preferance.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the x/h pipe also quiet the exhaust down. I thought that was the initial reason for there use.
Old November 5th, 2010, 05:06 PM

I just put a Pypes 2.5" X-Pipe system with their mandrel bent down pipes on my 70 GTO. I ordered the Pypes kit without the mufflers and ordered the new Dynomax VT mufflers separately. I used stainless steel band clamps to hold it together and it turned out very nice. I got everything through Jegs. They ended up being cheaper than buying direct from Pypes. It sounds great at idle and really comes on when the engine is rev'd up. Unfortunately, I haven't driven it on the street yet as it is an ongoing restoration but I think I'm really going to be happy with it. I wanted something that wouldn't be too loud during normal driving but would sound good under throttle.
Old November 6th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Runner

Well guys, I eventually made my final decision. I want to start off by saying I am very happy with my results. It almost feels like I'm now driving meaner / different car now and I love it.

I went with the Flowmaster American Thunder 2.5" exhaust kit (H pipe) with the Super 44 Series mufflers. I really like the the sound, the feeling, and the look for now (although I do plan on getting the trumpet tips to fit later on)

I've put together a page with video of how it sounds in idle, while driving, and pictures of how it looks on the car.

Let me know what you think and thanks again for the help. I may not have gone with the best, but I really love what I got.